Another Religious parent poisoning young minds.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Another Religious parent poisoning young minds.
I came across this in a FB post. The father is a religious man (Greek Orthodox Priest) and has a bright kid. The kid is using phrases from apologetics.

I truly feel bad for this boy as he is going to reach a horrible disappointment when he realizes that his ideas will not lead to a creator.

http://juiceonline.com/11-year-old-boy-s...ebate-vid/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Scook's post
11-08-2018, 08:36 PM
RE: Another Religious parent poisoning young minds.
(11-08-2018 07:51 PM)Scook Wrote:  I came across this in a FB post. The father is a religious man (Greek Orthodox Priest) and has a bright kid. The kid is using phrases from apologetics.

I truly feel bad for this boy as he is going to reach a horrible disappointment when he realizes that his ideas will not lead to a creator.

What the kid said was:

“Well because there’s these atheists that try to say that there is no God, when in reality it takes more faith to believe there’s no God than it does to believe that there is a God… because it makes more sense that something created the universe than that the universe created itself… It takes more faith to say the universe created itself than to say something other created the universe because that is more logical.”

Now you can disparage that as 'phrases from apologetics' if you want. But he is expressing a valid perspective. He has read Hawking's book, and didn't find it to be very compelling. He's a very smart boy, and I simply wish him the best.

He was born into a religious family, and he was raised as a religious child. That is no one's business but theirs.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
[+] 1 user Likes Yonadav Kenyon's post
11-08-2018, 09:30 PM
(11-08-2018 07:51 PM)Scook Wrote:  The kid is using phrases from apologetics.

He shoved the word atheist in a couple of places where it was not relevant. There was nothing in his spiel that we haven't heard a thousand times before. The difference here was that he learned to do it at a much younger age than most.

No gods necessary.
[+] 3 users Like brunumb's post
11-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Really it's just this all over again with a less, rough edges. Kid if you talk to him has no clue what it is he's saying. Which is the problem.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
11-08-2018, 09:53 PM
(11-08-2018 09:30 PM)brunumb Wrote:  
(11-08-2018 07:51 PM)Scook Wrote:  The kid is using phrases from apologetics.

He shoved the word atheist in a couple of places where it was not relevant. There was nothing in his spiel that we haven't heard a thousand times before. The difference here was that he learned to do it at a much younger age than most.

He's 11 years old. Most children raised in religious families are familiar with the 'more faith' perspective that he is expressing here. What he did at at unusually young age, is reading Stephen Hawking's book.

I think that it is sort of interesting that the person who started the discussion feels that the boy's parents poisoned his mind. Yet, the parents let him read atheist literature. They are letting him read it, and they don't seem to be afraid that the atheist literature is going to poison his mind.

11-08-2018, 09:58 PM
(11-08-2018 07:51 PM)Scook Wrote:  I came across this in a FB post. The father is a religious man (Greek Orthodox Priest) and has a bright kid. The kid is using phrases from apologetics.

> If this kid thinks he has disproved Hawkins, let him submit a scientific paper for peer review. His claim that something had to create the singularity from which the universe sprang is, for the present, not falsifiable. The kid may be a prodigy, but that does not make him a qualified cosmologist. Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
11-08-2018, 10:11 PM
(11-08-2018 09:58 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  

> If this kid thinks he has disproved Hawkins, let him submit a scientific paper for peer review. His claim that something had to create the singularity from which the universe sprang is, for the present, not falsifiable. The kid may be a prodigy, but that does not make him a qualified cosmologist. Consider
The universe sprang from a singularity? Really?
https://profmattstrassler.com/2014/03/21...ngularity/

[+] 1 user Likes Yonadav Kenyon's post
11-08-2018, 10:52 PM
(11-08-2018 09:53 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I think that it is sort of interesting that the person who started the discussion feels that the boy's parents poisoned his mind. Yet, the parents let him read atheist literature. They are letting him read it, and they don't seem to be afraid that the atheist literature is going to poison his mind.

I'm sure their indoctrination of him was thorough enough to ensure that the young fellow would not be swayed by what he read. You can sense it in his presentation.

No gods necessary.
[+] 2 users Like brunumb's post
11-08-2018, 11:30 PM
The right answer regarding facts: We don't know.
[+] 2 users Like purpulepurpose's post
11-08-2018, 11:47 PM
(11-08-2018 09:53 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(11-08-2018 09:30 PM)brunumb Wrote:  He shoved the word atheist in a couple of places where it was not relevant. There was nothing in his spiel that we haven't heard a thousand times before. The difference here was that he learned to do it at a much younger age than most.

He's 11 years old. Most children raised in religious families are familiar with the 'more faith' perspective that he is expressing here. What he did at at unusually young age, is reading Stephen Hawking's book.

I think that it is sort of interesting that the person who started the discussion feels that the boy's parents poisoned his mind. Yet, the parents let him read atheist literature. They are letting him read it, and they don't seem to be afraid that the atheist literature is going to poison his mind.

Look an 11 year old is great at regurgitation, he read a book. When I was younger than him I was reading college books and theology books as well. I consider myself fairly competent with interpreting what people are saying in text. Even as a kid.

My reading comprehension scores were very high, I was able by the age of 6 to discuss theology concepts and displayed a higher level of understanding than this kid has of his regurgitation of the kalam cosmological argument (which is all he really said). It was so unusual for a kid that age to understand the theology as well as I had demonstrated that I was taken aside by the church leaders to be "tested." After passing I was baptized. The problem was while I was cleverer than some kids, possibly many kids my age I was forced to make assumptions, reading books remembering shit I read, things people say, that kinda stuff tends to come pathetically easy to me. However I had never actually seen anything supernatural, I had no understanding of those types of events so I had to assume those who'd done the ritual shit knew things I didn't. After I was baptized I realized later that day I was lied to, nothing had changed there was just as little supernatural shit in the world as there had been the day before.

I now understand that this phenomena is less likely some special trait of mine and more likely an artifact of an autistic mind (I'll go look up statistics on the lack of religiosity in autistic people later to present if anyone wants). I could assume I was just super smart (the way this kid and his parents seem to have done) or I could realize that I was a fucking 6 year old. I may have been slightly further along in some ways than other 6 year olds (severely behind on social issues for a 6 year old but that's a different story), but that doesn't make me some sort of genius. This kid hasn't demonstrated any special understanding of the topic in which he is referring to. He's just not. All he's done is found a potential hole (which when investigated is more likely something understood by some just not him, or the peanut gallery who sees this video) and stuffed god in it. That's not special at all dude.

As for the parents they can poison his mind and let him read the book confident that he's not capable of freeing himself from their indoctrination. They probably taught him everything in the book, it's unlikely he read it all on his own and developed those conclusions. Either way, it wouldn't be hard for them to engage in poisoning the well when he asks them questions about it, or when they presented it to him. This isn't some sign that he possesses any special intellect. The fact that he completely misses a number of clear and low hanging logical fallacies in his talk demonstrates he's not as aware of what he's saying as you seem to be implying.

My thoughts are a bit jumbled tonight, hopefully this is easy enough to follow though.

And as for videos on the internet I present the actual story of Leeroy Jenkins a video people naively thought was real when it was released, since apparently people still haven't learned that most youtube videos are asinine staged bullshit. Please, do everyone a favor and consider this.....

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post