Another ''WTF is this?'' at Finland's justice system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Another ''WTF is this?'' at Finland's justice system
Last summer a few guys attacked the pride-parade in Helsinki with smoke torches and pepper- and teargas. Now they finally got their sentences: they were found guilty of 88 assaults, posession an item/substance that they could hurt someone with and 71 insults of political freedoms. The sentence was also tightened because the attack was planned and was purposefully targeted at sexual minorities.

They got a 4 month suspended sentence. Well, in practise they got nothing, unless they commit another crime in the next 4 months.Angry

Why the peep does a woman, with a DC++ hub where other people illigally spread music, get a sentence of about 200 thousand € which is enough to ruin a life, while a policeman who rapes a 16 year old girl using his authority gets 6 months of suspended and 4 guys get 4 months of suspended for 88 assaults? Makes absolutely no sense.
These guys clearly have problems: half a year before the attack they started planning it, and their online messages also revealed that they were going to some music festivals just to pick fights. Healthy people's summer plans don't revolve around violence and mass-hate crimes.
''It's enough of a punishment if you don't get caught of other crimes in the next 4 months.''

Criminals laugh at Finland's criminal justice. People steal gas from cars, because the fines you get for it if you get caught are so small. You can even get away with an armed robbery with just a year of suspended! And ordering a murded is'nt even a crime in Finland!

End of rant, move along, nothing to see here.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2011, 12:15 PM
RE: Another ''WTF is this?'' at Finland's justice system
I think Scandinavian countries have a decent population and historically had little to no need for aggressive laws. But now the world is open and anyone can be anywhere on the globe in under 24 hrs , so people from corrupt and violent countries can settle in more peaceful and civilized countries. I'm honestly ashamed to be Romanian considering the acts my fellow countrymen have committed in Italy , France and England. They go from a corrupt justice system that can be brutal to them , to a fair system that aims to rehabilitate.
As for the instances you describe , a big failure of judgement seems to be the reason.

The woman who got the fine is not alone , it's a scare tactic by record labels , and it doesn't work , I download at least 3 GB of torrent material a day.
The police office probably got a suspended sentence for the fact he was a police officer.
As for the violent guys I've always wondered this myself - how come thugs get so easily out of prison. Seriously , someone should imprison the parole board.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
04-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Rainbow RE: Another ''WTF is this?'' at Finland's justice system
I thought an article link may help flesh this discussion out a bit. Smile

Pride parade attackers get four-month suspended sentences
Group ordered to pay tens of thousands of euros in damages and court costs
(Article)

I think it's absurd and dismissive of the impact this assault had on everyone concerned. I will say when I sought out the article I used the keywords, "Helsinki pride parade attack", and some of the first site links to hit after the first one above, were white pride forums! Wasn't expecting that, however perhaps it's a reflection of the injustice in this case being due to the lack of respect for the targeted victims.

I dare say even in the U.S. if this very same assault happened in the same way our system of justice, I would hope, would stand to hold the three assailants accountable in much stronger terms. Which would ideally include very long prison sentences, so as to send the message of what other such people have to look forward to if they're that sick and twisted.

As it stands the judgment for the Helsinki matter sends the message that it's not that big a deal, as long as someone has the Euro's to pay for what they did to people's lives that can never be repaired at any price. A travesty of justice, indeed. Reprehensible, and an insult to the justice system over all in Finland. Sad
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2011, 01:14 AM
In Belgium, a 50yo man got a 6 month suspended sentence for... "stealing" past 'use by' date muffins out of a supermarket trash container.

It's not better over here...

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
05-05-2011, 01:23 AM
You should all come to Croatia for a couple of months. You'd be running back home, praying to all the Gods you know, that you never come back here... Smile

There is no worst court system than on the Balkans, we are what is wrong with your counties. You have laws for Scandinavian people, then some people from Balkans moved in, and there goes the neighborhood...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
05-05-2011, 11:59 AM
@Filox
I'll bet you 100$ Romania is worse then Croatia.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin