Another "Win" for Islam?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Exclamation Another "Win" for Islam?
I noticed an article in today's Melbourne (Australia, not Florida LOL) Daily Mail newspaper that reinforces my (possibly over-reactive?) cynicism about the insidious but relentless infiltration of the Islamic way of life into Western societies. We seem—to me at least—be making an increasing number of adverse decisions about historically-established, unwritten laws of our lands in appeasing the various demands of Muslims.

A couple of examples in Australia: public swimming pools closed to men and boys during specific hours to allow Muslim women to swim; prohibiting the preparation of pork products in kitchens potentially serving some Muslims in local government offices; taxpayers financing the certification of so-called halal foodstuffs for retail sale; cafes serving exclusively halal meals and snacks; Muslim prayer rooms and toilets being established at university campuses and public hospitals; exclusively Muslim schools attracting government funding or subsidies; concessions for wearing burqas in nominally high-risk, secure environments plus whilst driving motor vehicles, etc.

And now in the Olympics we see this farcical situation...

[Image: 36FBD12C00000578-0-image-a-1_1470641618986.jpg]Daily Mail Australia (Reuters) 13 Aug 2016

Apparently, the International Volleyball Federation previously had standards regulating the size of uniforms, but which were relaxed at the London 2012 Olympics to allow full sleeves and leggings—which permitted Muslim women to compete. Personally, I find it objectionable that long-established dress codes are being watered down for purely religious purposes or demands in nominally secular major or international sporting events.

[Image: 6410.gif]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
12-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Another "Win" for Islam?
Well as one who doesn't care at all for historical established norms being upheld on the basis of valuing tradition.

I think it's a really filmsy reason to resist change even if the change is of weak reasons itself

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-08-2016, 10:53 AM
RE: Another "Win" for Islam?
Well, on the one hand I agree that watering down regulations due to religious demands is bad. For example, I don't like that the NCAA will schedule BYU not to play on Sundays when it comes to things like the NCAA tournament and bowl games. I say if you want to compete in the NCAA, then play when the game is scheduled, and if you object because it's on a Sunday, then forfeit.

But at the same time I find it kind of silly that they regulated the uniforms of the players that much. If they want to play in full garb, why would anyone care. If anything it disadvantages them. Plus it would be much different if they were trying to make everyone else dress like that or if they had some objection to the other teams wearing what they considered inappropriate.
12-08-2016, 11:22 AM
Who was allowed to wear a burqa while driving?

The guy in this video calls this woman's clothing a "hijab" (which does not cover the face) and then in the video title calls it a burqa (which has a veil over the eyes) It looks like neither to me, but rather a niqab, which in most cases shouldn't impair periphery vision at all. The woman next to her appears to be wearing a hijab with sunglasses, which would also be appropriate attire if she were operating the vehicle.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
12-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Someone using a camera phone while driving is not driving responsibly either.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
12-08-2016, 11:31 AM
(12-08-2016 11:22 AM)cactus Wrote:  Who was allowed to wear a burqa while driving? [...]

NSW woman Carnita Matthews, in 2011, who had a long record of driving offences and a history of not paying her fines. NSW Police Minister Mike Gallacher confirmed at the time that police do not currently have the legal power to require women to show their face if the women refuse on religious or cultural grounds.

—I don't know if this has been amended since then, as I can't find any later court cases.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
12-08-2016, 11:32 AM
(12-08-2016 11:29 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Someone using a camera phone while driving is not driving responsibly either.

Yeah, seriously. He's staring at the people next to him while holding up a camera. Really safe move there. Rolleyes

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
12-08-2016, 11:37 AM
(12-08-2016 10:41 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I noticed an article in today's Melbourne (Australia, not Florida LOL) Daily Mail newspaper that reinforces my (possibly over-reactive?) cynicism about the insidious but relentless infiltration of the Islamic way of life into Western societies. We seem—to me at least—be making an increasing number of adverse decisions about historically-established, unwritten laws of our lands in appeasing the various demands of Muslims.

A couple of examples in Australia: public swimming pools closed to men and boys during specific hours to allow Muslim women to swim; prohibiting the preparation of pork products in kitchens potentially serving some Muslims in local government offices; taxpayers financing the certification of so-called halal foodstuffs for retail sale; cafes serving exclusively halal meals and snacks; Muslim prayer rooms and toilets being established at university campuses and public hospitals; exclusively Muslim schools attracting government funding or subsidies; concessions for wearing burqas in nominally high-risk, secure environments plus whilst driving motor vehicles, etc.

And now in the Olympics we see this farcical situation...

[Image: 36FBD12C00000578-0-image-a-1_1470641618986.jpg]Daily Mail Australia (Reuters) 13 Aug 2016

Apparently, the International Volleyball Federation previously had standards regulating the size of uniforms, but which were relaxed at the London 2012 Olympics to allow full sleeves and leggings—which permitted Muslim women to compete. Personally, I find it objectionable that long-established dress codes are being watered down for purely religious purposes or demands in nominally secular major or international sporting events.

[Image: 6410.gif]

Actually the restrictions were changed in London because it was relatively cold, Brazil's team wore leggings and shirts. As to being mad compare female volleyball to male and then look at that picture and tell me who is being exploited.

[Image: juliana-silva-of-brazil-dives-for-the-ba...d149867759]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-08-2016, 10:40 PM
If only Arabs were as preoccupied with their political, social, and economic problems as they are with their women's clothes Facepalm

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user