Another "argument" with a theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2011, 10:42 AM
RE: Another "argument" with a theist
(30-03-2011 10:39 AM)aesirus Wrote:  I seriously considered retiring to Norway when I was in my whole 'tracing the family line' phase. You can't. They only allow people who seek asylum to move there. They are already cramped for space. So unless they changed their immigration laws in the past 10 years we'll have to build it here.

Just tell them you are seeking asylum from the religious persecution of the U.S.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2011, 10:58 AM

(30-03-2011 08:15 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I also forgot to mention that he also did what frequently occurs in these "debates." He gets me to concede that there is a minute possibility that some abstract force possibly caused existence. Then he gets all giddy like he somehow proved christianity even after I explain that if he believes that, he is at best, a deist... in the loosest sense of the word.
No, no, no, no! That's bullshit. The Christian that feel's smug "getting you to concede" this point is dumber than they first appear.
That "abstract force" they then jump to, so as to further their argument that their god and Christ do exist, isn't in any wise related to the god and Christ they believe in.
In fact, if a Theist ever tries to throw that lame argument at you again, just smile and say; ahh, I see you've come around to the atheist point of view. And so quickly too. Because what you're now describing as a possibility you can live with is known as a Singularity. That which preceded the Big Bang. Because your god and Jesus are not at all abstracts. As 66 books relate well enough.

And then smile hugely and wait. Big Grin

What that Theist "feels" is part of the hard wiring that was implanted in their psyche when they were young. Just because they feel it doesn't mean it's there. Or that anything invisible feels anything for them.

By the way, why argue with a Theist? That you're an atheist and do, can very often reiterate to a Theist that you're insecure and threatened by their faith.
(I've read that rebuttal at Theist websites when they talk about being approached by an atheist in the manner you describe. Theists literally believe they have to dedicate their real life to a fable, so that their eternal soul is saved from the wrath of that what they worship, if they don't. It's not realistic to think after someone compromises their intellect to that extreme, that they'll ever be convinced their wrong. It's Godwin's law, if nothing else, that keeps their nose pressed to the cross.
Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2011, 03:25 PM
My debates with theists are analogous to a heavy night of drinking. It always ends the same: immediately afterward your head hurts and you promise yourself "ugh, I'll never do THAT again."

And yet memory fades and 2 weeks later, when some theist offers you a beer in the form of a logical fallacy, you can't help but take him up on it.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2011, 05:11 PM

(30-03-2011 03:25 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  My debates with theists are analogous to a heavy night of drinking. It always ends the same: immediately afterward your head hurts and you promise yourself "ugh, I'll never do THAT again."

And yet memory fades and 2 weeks later, when some theist offers you a beer in the form of a logical fallacy, you can't help but take him up on it.
There's a term for that.
Lush. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply