Another attack on moral subjectivism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 09:35 AM
RE: Another attack on moral subjectivism
(26-06-2015 09:30 AM)tear151 Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 09:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Can you think of a situation where you would act in a manner that brings about, let's say, higher taxes where you would simultaneously believe that there ought to be lower taxes?

Sadcryface

No because I wouldn't hold there ought to be lower taxes.

QED

Smartass

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2015, 09:40 AM
(26-06-2015 09:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 09:30 AM)tear151 Wrote:  No because I wouldn't hold there ought to be lower taxes.

QED

Smartass

Facepalm you really aren't understanding this

"A witty quote means nothing"
26-06-2015, 09:41 AM
(26-06-2015 09:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 08:43 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Atheism =/= nihilism

Atheists =/= nihilists

Saying that atheism leads to nihilism is akin to saying that conservatism leads to fascism. Or that liberalism leads to communism. It is a moronic reductionist argument that oversimplifies things to make a preconceived conclusion work.

Some might call such tactics, dishonest. But you be dishonest? NEVER!!!! (/sarcasmfont)

Atheism =/= nihilism, only in the way that atheism =/= consistent beliefs.

And I should say while many atheists like to include non-self identifying atheists into their folds, like buddhist and such, the sort the video, and others here are tending to highlight are atheist who are also ontological naturalist. They typically hold a view that rejects God beliefs, and attempts to reject any of its varies implications. It's the only form of atheism that is an actual contender to theism.

You can sit here and say how about those atheists that don't subscribe to ontological naturalism, but no one really cares to pay them any mind, and they're fairly non-existent in these debates.

Your statements require citation. I need to know where your "many atheists" come from and why that would not also be an appeal to majority instead of actually being true.

"They typically hold a view that rejects God beliefs, and attempts to reject any of its varies implications. It's the only form of atheism that is an actual contender to theism."

More vague assertions with no basis in fact. Your opinion (as a theist who clearly doesn't care about understanding the arguments being presented to you, like you lie and claim you do) is irrelevant when it comes down to what atheism is or isn't.

As for your continued assertion that your premise is correct, I have already pointed out the idiocy of it.

Saying that atheism leads to nihilism is akin to saying that conservatism leads to fascism. Or that liberalism leads to communism. It is a moronic reductionist argument that oversimplifies things to make a preconceived conclusion work.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
26-06-2015, 09:42 AM
(26-06-2015 09:14 AM)tear151 Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 09:10 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You dumbshit. How the fuck are you going to GET to the cohesive community ?

By supporting a society similar to ours because it supports MY interests, if it did not support MY interests I would not support that society. If I was poor, I'd support high taxes, if I was rich, I would support low taxes, this isn't hard to understand bucky.

Well the fact that YOUR *subjective* value is YOUR best interest is basically IRRELEVANT (you dumbshit Tongue ). I AM rich (or my family is) and I favor FAIR TAXES for EVERYONE. All your assumptions are utterly IGNORANT.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-06-2015, 09:43 AM
(26-06-2015 09:40 AM)tear151 Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 09:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  QED

Smartass

Facepalm you really aren't understanding this

No. It's YOU that's the problem here.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-06-2015, 09:44 AM
(26-06-2015 09:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 09:14 AM)tear151 Wrote:  By supporting a society similar to ours because it supports MY interests, if it did not support MY interests I would not support that society. If I was poor, I'd support high taxes, if I was rich, I would support low taxes, this isn't hard to understand bucky.

Well the fact that YOUR *subjective* value is YOUR best interest is basically IRRELEVANT (you dumbshit Tongue ). I AM rich (or my family is) and I favor FAIR TAXES for EVERYONE. All your assumptions are utterly IGNORANT.

Why do you support fair taxes for everyone?

[+] 1 user Likes tear151's post
26-06-2015, 09:44 AM
(26-06-2015 09:43 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 09:40 AM)tear151 Wrote:  Facepalm you really aren't understanding this

No. It's YOU that's the problem here.

Thumbsup

26-06-2015, 09:47 AM
(26-06-2015 09:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 09:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ...
No it isn't an ought. Anymore so than if I were to say, that if I were desperate I would steal you wallet, implies that I ought to steal your wallet.

Oddly enough, I had my wallet stolen last night (true story).

Whoever took it must have decided that, for them, it was something they ought to do.

If they didn't think that, why did they take it?

Or are you saying that stealing is wrong in an absolute sense and they knew they ought not but in this case hey why not?

If you saying that, you are going for that ol' universal morality argument again i.e. not nihilism.

Well, it could be true that the thief believed that stealing was morally wrong. That he believed he ought not steal, but he stole anyway. Just like a man may cheat on his wife, believing that he ought not to, and yet cheat anyway.

An ought implies some form of obligation or duty. Just because a thief recognizes that stealing your wallet would allow him to buy some item that he wanted, doesn't mean that he believed he was under sort or obligation or duty to take it, anymore so that I'm under obligation to eat a bowl of cheerios in the morning, merely because I like cheerios, and I want to have a bowl of them.
26-06-2015, 09:48 AM
(26-06-2015 09:40 AM)tear151 Wrote:  Facepalm you really aren't understanding this

In lieu of a facepalm, explore another way to explain your position.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
26-06-2015, 09:53 AM
(26-06-2015 09:44 AM)tear151 Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 09:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well the fact that YOUR *subjective* value is YOUR best interest is basically IRRELEVANT (you dumbshit Tongue ). I AM rich (or my family is) and I favor FAIR TAXES for EVERYONE. All your assumptions are utterly IGNORANT.

Why do you support fair taxes for everyone?

Because without the majority of the members of a society perceiving that they are being taxed fairly, anarchy ensues, and no one will buy into the system. Are you 12 ?

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post