Another attack on moral subjectivism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 10:16 AM
RE: Another attack on moral subjectivism
(26-06-2015 10:09 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "I think I understand the arguments of others atheists like Tear, Stevel, Matt Finney..."

But I do see what you are saying. You latch onto the few people with whom you think you agree or agree with you, and you think that qualifies your points as being true and that this somehow gets you off of the hook for having to actually explain or rationally defend them.

I don't agree with them though, lol, since I'm not a moral nihilist. But I highlighted them to show that I do understand the arguments made by them, even though I disagree with them, and they're atheists.

While on the other hand, you think because I don't agree with you, that I misunderstand you, that my rejections of some of your arguments, constitutes a misunderstanding. You must imagine your arguments as so convincing, so well formed, that only folks who misunderstand them would reject them.

There's was a good video posted earlier, if you disagree with the points made in it, I would like to hear it.

I'll post the link for it again, just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzfDIewPFb0
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2015, 10:16 AM
(26-06-2015 10:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ...
One could also argue that it was contextually a right thing to do, that it was more important for you to find a hooker for the night, than for him to feed his family. And the persons making this arguments would likely be no less right or wrong, than you would be.

Well, naturally, that would be my position ... in this example. Angel

Enlightened (but selfish) self interest FWT.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-06-2015, 10:18 AM
(26-06-2015 10:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 10:09 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "I think I understand the arguments of others atheists like Tear, Stevel, Matt Finney..."

But I do see what you are saying. You latch onto the few people with whom you think you agree or agree with you, and you think that qualifies your points as being true and that this somehow gets you off of the hook for having to actually explain or rationally defend them.

I don't agree with them though, lol, since I'm not a moral nihilist. But I highlighted them to show that I do understand the arguments made by them, even though I disagree with them, and they're atheists.

While on the other hand, you think because I don't agree with you, that I misunderstand you, that my rejections of some of your arguments, constitutes a misunderstanding. You must imagine your arguments as so convincing, so well formed, that only folks who misunderstand them would reject them.

There's was a good video posted earlier, if you disagree with the points made in it, I would like to hear it.

"ou must imagine your arguments as so convincing, so well formed, that only folks who misunderstand them would reject them."

You reject counterpoints by any and everyone, but not based on actual rational or logical counterpoints. You disagree because if you were to agree, it would chip away at your theistic idiocy.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
26-06-2015, 10:20 AM
(26-06-2015 10:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

As for the youtube video, you're like the racist that thinks they are correct because they have that one black friend. You think you've found someone who agrees with you, so you think you're correct and that absolves you from the responsibility of explaining or defending your points.

-Rick
26-06-2015, 10:20 AM
(26-06-2015 10:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  As others have pointed out more time times than is worth counting, atheism is a one-topic position.

The only problem is, that "one-topic" involves a great deal. The concept of God, even from a traditional theistic view, entails a great deal of things. It's cast a long shadow.
26-06-2015, 10:21 AM
As for the breakdown of the video, "Morality is how one ought to behave" <- No.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
26-06-2015, 10:22 AM
(26-06-2015 10:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  As for the youtube video, you're like the racist that thinks they are correct because they have that one black friend. You think you've found someone who agrees with you, so you think you're correct and that absolves you from the responsibility of explaining or defending your points.

Says the guys who has yet to explain or defend his position, lol.

Can you explain what parts of the video your disagree with?
26-06-2015, 10:22 AM
(26-06-2015 10:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 10:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  As others have pointed out more time times than is worth counting, atheism is a one-topic position.

The only problem is, that "one-topic" involves a great deal. The concept of God, even from a traditional theistic view, entails a great deal of things. It's cast a long shadow.

No, it doesn't involve a "great deal." It rejects numerous baseless claims on the grounds of no evidence and being logically inconsistent with reality. Or ANY one of a number of reasons someone might be an atheist.

-Rick
26-06-2015, 10:23 AM
(26-06-2015 10:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 10:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  As for the youtube video, you're like the racist that thinks they are correct because they have that one black friend. You think you've found someone who agrees with you, so you think you're correct and that absolves you from the responsibility of explaining or defending your points.

Says the guys who has yet to explain of defend his position, lol.

Can you explain what parts of the video your disagree with?

I've already started, do you read posts or just assume you already know?

-Rick
26-06-2015, 10:24 AM
(26-06-2015 10:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  As for the breakdown of the video, "Morality is how one ought to behave" <- No.

So what is morality then? How one does behave?