Another contradiction in the bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Another contradiction in the bible?
Okay I have been thinking lately about this and do not flame me for this since I am not saying I am right.

If the souls in hell will be suffering for eternity. How can the apocalypse happen? When all the evil dead people will fight against all the good dead people?
And why would satan punish someone who denies God?

A rebellious atheist since nineteen ninety five.

I killed your god and replaced it with myself! So bow before my supremacy my sheeps.
If you think about it you will see what sheep means Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2012, 06:27 PM
RE: Another contradiction in the bible?
I don't know, sorry. I spent too long trying to understand it, and gave up. I think it all depends on interpretation. I suggest you don't lose any sleep over it....its like the trinity....just not worth trying to understand.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2012, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 07:11 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(04-05-2012 06:27 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I don't know, sorry. I spent too long trying to understand it, and gave up. I think it all depends on interpretation. I suggest you don't lose any sleep over it....its like the trinity....just not worth trying to understand.

Not to worry Mark, Tongue Aquinas said he didn't understand the Trinity either, so I guess you're in good company. (See my rant from yesterday in the "Outside of Space-Time thread). Speaking of time, Aquinas said "The Father generates the Son (or the Word) by the relation of self-awareness. This eternal generation then "produces" an eternal Spirit "who enjoys the divine nature as the Love of God, the Love of the Father for the Word." Woops. Everything about that is about temporal dependancy. Then he said the Trinity "decided to give grace to human beings". Oops. Maybe after Paul, we can write about debunking Aquinas, and therefore all of Catholicism). Well, maybe a pamphlet. That one would take about 5 minutes. Weeping

I think he looks like a fine Aussie.

[Image: Thomas_Aquinas_in_Stained_Glass_crop.jpg]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-05-2012, 08:57 PM
There are so many..Not worth it.

"Take your Vulcan cynicism and bury it with your repressed emotions" - Captain Archer (Enterprise Captain)

"Religion and science have a common ancestor - ignorance" - A.C. Grayling
04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Dude. It says Holy. How many contradictions do ya need? Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
04-05-2012, 09:08 PM
(04-05-2012 06:00 PM)reindeer Wrote:  If the souls in hell will be suffering for eternity. How can the apocalypse happen? When all the evil dead people will fight against all the good dead people?
And why would satan punish someone who denies God?
We also have satan being destroyed in the lake of fire. Who is torturing the bad people then?

I think this is all figuratively speaking. Like a round square. Like a triangle with 4 sides.
You just have to believe it without understanding it. It's called faith by the religious. It's called bullshit by thinking people.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 4 users Like Thomas's post
04-05-2012, 09:14 PM
(04-05-2012 06:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-05-2012 06:27 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I don't know, sorry. I spent too long trying to understand it, and gave up. I think it all depends on interpretation. I suggest you don't lose any sleep over it....its like the trinity....just not worth trying to understand.

Not to worry Mark, Tongue Aquinas said he didn't understand the Trinity either, so I guess you're in good company.

Basic physics - all structure in the universe begins from the triangle. It's geometry, has been all along. Me, you, and a place to be, that's three. Now

and now are the separation between Son and Father through Spirit, a.k.a two points of space, one waveform of time. They fuckered themselves with that Holy Spirit thingy. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-05-2012, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 09:40 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(04-05-2012 06:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Not to worry Mark, Tongue Aquinas said he didn't understand the Trinity either, so I guess you're in good company. (See my rant from yesterday in the "Outside of Space-Time thread). Speaking of time, Aquinas said "The Father generates the Son (or the Word) by the relation of self-awareness. This eternal generation then "produces" an eternal Spirit "who enjoys the divine nature as the Love of God, the Love of the Father for the Word." Woops. Everything about that is about temporal dependancy. Then he said the Trinity "decided to give grace to human beings". Oops. Maybe after Paul, we can write about debunking Aquinas, and therefore all of Catholicism). Well, maybe a pamphlet. That one would take about 5 minutes. Weeping

I think he looks like a fine Aussie.

[Image: Thomas_Aquinas_in_Stained_Glass_crop.jpg]
Leonard Cohen talks to the audience in one of hits bootlegs. He describes sitting in a beer garden in the Bahamas and noticing palm trees painted on a wall. He ponders why anyone would paint that, then realises that thought is just like the trinity...not worth thinking about.

ps this has nothing to do with the topic, but I just bought the last 3 Dire Straits cd's i didn't have..."Dire Straits" "Making Movies" and "Communique." Quality never goes out of style. Mark is happy. Shy
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
04-05-2012, 09:46 PM
It's items like that I would just ignore myself, mainly as I've heard so many interpretations of what "hell" is and who goes there. Basically, hell is anything from literal to metaphor (or just death, or absence from god)--and who goes there ranging from no one (because god is good) to everyone (because god splits your soul into good and evil, and punishes one and not the other).

Now a person could say that the damned will not win the battle, therefore making it suffering throughout, and even when they "win" temporarily it would be hell on earth so again they'd be suffering. Likewise, one could say that god forces Satan to punish people denying him/her free will (after all, do angels even have free will?).

Considering that there's no agreement on whether the bible is literal or figurative (taught literal when had to go to church, taught figurative when in college by priests), the reasons explaining it could be many... In any event, I wouldn't personally consider a contradiction, rather a mistake--or just a question that would "side-swipe" a christian as they probably never thought of that, and despite it being in the bible, they'd have to think or question others. Although I would say that some may quickly reply "because those who reject god are a threat to the devil, so the devil asserts his/her power at the start" (like assuming that those who don't believe right are trying to be the ruler of hell or some such thing).
04-05-2012, 09:55 PM
(04-05-2012 09:46 PM)elemts Wrote:  It's items like that I would just ignore myself, mainly as I've heard so many interpretations of what "hell" is and who goes there. Basically, hell is anything from literal to metaphor (or just death, or absence from god)--and who goes there ranging from no one (because god is good) to everyone (because god splits your soul into good and evil, and punishes one and not the other).

Now a person could say that the damned will not win the battle, therefore making it suffering throughout, and even when they "win" temporarily it would be hell on earth so again they'd be suffering. Likewise, one could say that god forces Satan to punish people denying him/her free will (after all, do angels even have free will?).

Considering that there's no agreement on whether the bible is literal or figurative (taught literal when had to go to church, taught figurative when in college by priests), the reasons explaining it could be many... In any event, I wouldn't personally consider a contradiction, rather a mistake--or just a question that would "side-swipe" a christian as they probably never thought of that, and despite it being in the bible, they'd have to think or question others. Although I would say that some may quickly reply "because those who reject god are a threat to the devil, so the devil asserts his/her power at the start" (like assuming that those who don't believe right are trying to be the ruler of hell or some such thing).

We are seriously NOT discussing "hell" are we ?

First of all, you have to: a. ) go, and b.) there.

[Image: 514C6XKMJXL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic..._OU01_.jpg]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche