Another convo with a theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2014, 07:10 AM
Another convo with a theist
Just had a chat with a 'friend' on facebook. He posted something about gay marriage and how God abhors it. Well, I tried to debate it. This was my first time debating somebody I knew that wasn't a close personal friend or family member. And I think I'm ready to slam my face into my desk.

I think I got most annoyed that his only counter, which he used repeatedly, over and over and over and over and over, was "well that's just your opinion".

I'm not adding anything new here. SSDD Drinking Beverage

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2014, 07:26 AM
RE: Another convo with a theist
Ask the question :

What do think is worse:
Gay Marriage or incest ?
Men kissing or infanticide ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
25-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Brick RE: Another convo with a theist
(25-06-2014 07:10 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  Just had a chat with a 'friend' on facebook. He posted something about gay marriage and how God abhors it. Well, I tried to debate it. This was my first time debating somebody I knew that wasn't a close personal friend or family member. And I think I'm ready to slam my face into my desk.

I think I got most annoyed that his only counter, which he used repeatedly, over and over and over and over and over, was "well that's just your opinion".

Remind him that his religion is also an opinion. The only people that call his religion a fact are the people that share his religious beliefs. Tell him that Muslims believe that their religion is a fact just as much as Christians think that theirs is a fact.

Science gives us facts. Religion gives us opinions and requires us to blindly follow those opinions because it relies on faith, not facts.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
25-06-2014, 08:43 AM
lol, yea we went through that too. And it boiled right back to 'depends on your understanding...' and 'your opinion'. Could be worse I guess. He didn't set me on fire or throw rocks at me for being a blasphemer Big Grin

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
25-06-2014, 08:55 AM
"You are a bigoted jerk who cannot think for yourself."

"!!! What was that for?"

"It's just my opinion, calm down."

Of course, whether or not someone hates something isn't an opinion to begin with. Did the debate shift a bit to whether or not gay marriage was a bad thing, or is that just another reason why the response is bad?
25-06-2014, 09:03 AM
(25-06-2014 08:43 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  lol, yea we went through that too. And it boiled right back to 'depends on your understanding...' and 'your opinion'. Could be worse I guess. He didn't set me on fire or throw rocks at me for being a blasphemer Big Grin

It does depend on understanding, you understand what you're talking about and he doesn't.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 2 users Like Winterwolf00's post
25-06-2014, 09:50 AM
(25-06-2014 07:10 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  Just had a chat with a 'friend' on facebook. He posted something about gay marriage and how God abhors it. Well, I tried to debate it. This was my first time debating somebody I knew that wasn't a close personal friend or family member. And I think I'm ready to slam my face into my desk.

Well, depending on the arguments you have been presenting, you always have the zinger "Reality is not an opinion."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post