Another damn lawyer ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2015, 06:54 PM
RE: Another damn lawyer ...
I have known some nice ones. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Yay??

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
08-12-2015, 07:22 AM
(07-12-2015 01:31 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(07-12-2015 12:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Great!

Of course, you know what William Shakespeare said about lawyers....

"First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

Uttered by Dick the Butcher in Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71-78. Shakespeare was kinda weird sometimes though, wasn't he?

One of the most misused and misunderstood quotes of all times. In the actual context Shakespeare meant it as a praise of lawyer's role in the society.

Hmmm, only a lawyer could come up with that bit of sophistry. Dodgy

The following line is clearly anti-lawyer:
Dick the Butcher:
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.
Jack Cade:
Nay, that I mean to do. Is not this a lamentable thing, that of the skin of an innocent lamb should be made parchment? that parchment, being scribbled o'er, should undo a man? Some say the bee stings: but I say, 'tis the bee's wax; for I did but seal once to a thing, and I was never mine own man since.

The line is clear and means precisely what it says, that lawyers are dangerous to a man's freedom.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2015, 08:26 AM
(08-12-2015 07:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-12-2015 01:31 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  One of the most misused and misunderstood quotes of all times. In the actual context Shakespeare meant it as a praise of lawyer's role in the society.

The line is clear and means precisely what it says, that lawyers are dangerous to a man's freedom.

I don't think there's a clear consensus either way. Given who's saying the line, and to whom, it's a matter of how much irony one chooses to see in it.

... this is my signature!
08-12-2015, 08:34 AM
(08-12-2015 08:26 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 07:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  The line is clear and means precisely what it says, that lawyers are dangerous to a man's freedom.

I don't think there's a clear consensus either way. Given who's saying the line, and to whom, it's a matter of how much irony one chooses to see in it.

Given Shakespeare's clear penchant for using fools to speak the truth, I'd say it's quite clear.

08-12-2015, 08:45 AM
(08-12-2015 08:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 08:26 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I don't think there's a clear consensus either way. Given who's saying the line, and to whom, it's a matter of how much irony one chooses to see in it.

Given Shakespeare's clear penchant for using fools to speak the truth, I'd say it's quite clear.

Well; and I'd say it's "quite clear" that it's the hyperbole of a demagogue.

Alas, now that we disagree over the "proper" interpretation of a line in an old book, I guess we'll have to excommunicate each other!

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
08-12-2015, 10:00 AM
(08-12-2015 08:45 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 08:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  Given Shakespeare's clear penchant for using fools to speak the truth, I'd say it's quite clear.

Well; and I'd say it's "quite clear" that it's the hyperbole of a demagogue.

Alas, now that we disagree over the "proper" interpretation of a line in an old book, I guess we'll have to excommunicate each other!

My point is that the claim that it is pro-lawyer is absurd.

08-12-2015, 10:06 AM
(07-12-2015 01:31 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  One of the most misused and misunderstood quotes of all times. In the actual context Shakespeare meant it as a praise of lawyer's role in the society.

Dick the Butcher:
Jack Cade:
Nay, that I mean to do. Is not this a lamentable thing, that of the skin of an innocent lamb should be made parchment? that parchment, being scribbled o'er, should undo a man? Some say the bee stings: but I say, 'tis the bee's wax; for I did but seal once to a thing, and I was never mine own man since.

The line itself is clearly anti lawyer , but it is important who said and why. Dick the Butcher sees the lawyers as an enemy to his cause , but his cause is to invoke chaos so they can seize power ( in an unlawful manner ) . So the lawyers are clearly portrayed as a power for maintaining order in the society.

Yes, there is no clear consensus about it, but you will find that most critics ( and of course lawyers Big Grin ) agree with this interpretation of the quote.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/17/nyregi...99990.html

http://www.spectacle.org/797/finkel.html

https://www.floridabar.org/divcom/jn/jnj...DB005D6229

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
08-12-2015, 10:22 AM

Dick the Butcher:
Jack Cade:

Short answer: These are the villains of the play speaking. This is like assuming that Christopher Nolan is anti-establishment based on his authorship of Bane's thuggishly eloquent speeches in Batman Rises.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
08-12-2015, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2015 10:38 AM by Chas.)
(08-12-2015 10:22 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 07:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  Hmmm, only a lawyer could come up with that bit of sophistry. Dodgy

Dick the Butcher:
Jack Cade:

Short answer: These are the villains of the play speaking. This is like assuming that Christopher Nolan is anti-establishment based on his authorship of Bane's thuggishly eloquent speeches in Batman Rises.

It assumes nothing about the author, it is about the quote in context. And don't conflate the author's intent with the character's intent.

If you choose to interpret it as pro-lawyer, then when it is used that way the context would have to be carefully pointed out.