Another example of BS statistics and Strawmen, in the guns debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2013, 05:26 AM
Re: Another example of BS statistics and Strawmen, in the guns debate
But it becomes a conspiracy once you make the assumption that the person advocating for banning guns is doing so in order to begin the removal of people's freedoms. Of course there are those in government who support complete gun bans, that's no secret, but they are heavily outweighed by everyone else.

But the politician is still not the one who would end up taking it. US soldiers and federal law enforcement would be the people you're talking about killing. Make no mistake, that's exactly what you're talking about. You needing to kill people.

And the only reason that living in a society without weapons isn't possible, is because people don't want it. It's greed, pain and simple. If it could be guaranteed that no find would mean no more school shootings, people would still cling to their guns under some charge that it's theirs and you can't have it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2013, 05:29 AM
I don't have a vendetta against any particular type of gun. Legislation is about people. I support extended background checks, ammo limits, magazine capacity limits, mental health evaluations, renewing licenses annually, required yearly training, etc.
28-04-2013, 06:04 AM
RE: Another example of BS statistics and Strawmen, in the guns debate
TBD, I'd like to respond to your ideas here (background checks, ammo limits, magazine capacity limits, mental health evaluations, renewing licenses annually, required yearly training, etc. ), except in a more diabolically censor-friendly way. Or something like that. Back in a bit.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
28-04-2013, 06:13 AM
Re: RE: Another example of BS statistics and Strawmen, in the guns debate
(28-04-2013 06:04 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  TBD, I'd like to respond to your ideas here (background checks, ammo limits, magazine capacity limits, mental health evaluations, renewing licenses annually, required yearly training, etc. ), except in a more diabolically censor-friendly way. Or something like that. Back in a bit.

:coffee: I'll be around but I only have my phone for the time being. So if it is a real cock of a response, I may forgo a reply until tomorrow. :thumbsup:
28-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Or if there is a video, I'm low on my data so I may not watch/listen to anything today.
28-04-2013, 12:02 PM
How's about a reset here?

Like DLJ, I consult to companies to solve problems. I solve technical, not management problems.

Very often, I will interrupt an unproductive discussion with "What problem are we trying to solve?"

I don't want to hear their solutions to undefined problems. I don't want to hear yours.

So let's define, in some detail, what problems you're trying to solve.

If you want there to never, ever be another school shooting, then the solution space will be different from reducing the chance of another school shooting or minimizing the damage from another school shooting.

If you want there to never, ever be another accidental shooting in a home, then the solution space will be different from reducing the likelihood of an accidental shooting in a home.

And so on.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Unnecessary gun deaths. Example, accidental shootings at home, school shootings, etc.
28-04-2013, 12:25 PM
You haven't done what Chas asked. Are you trying to eliminate, reduce, or mitigate those deaths?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
28-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Re: RE: Another example of BS statistics and Strawmen, in the guns debate
(28-04-2013 12:25 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  You haven't done what Chas asked. Are you trying to eliminate, reduce, or mitigate those deaths?

I've done exactly what he asked. I've defined my problem. It just doesn't fit neatly into the cookie cutter molds he gave as examples.
28-04-2013, 12:47 PM
This isn't a technical problem where the problem and the solution are so easily defined and executed.