Another example of BS statistics and Strawmen, in the guns debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2013, 09:01 AM
RE: Another example of BS statistics and Strawmen, in the guns debate
(25-04-2013 08:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And who would have ever guessed that the pro-gun side would make spurious claims with no support?

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013...fact-check

The second one is astounding. How incredibly safe it is to live in those states on the right, since they have so many guns.

So I found this out last night but apparently you can buy 50 lbs of black powder with no id or background check. That is roughly about 10 times more than the Boston bombers used in all their devices. But no we don't need tougher laws and background checks. 1 other note if you happen to find yourself on the No Fly List as a suspected terrorist guess what? You can still go and purchase as many AR-15's as you can afford. Which kind of brings up a thought about Al qaeda. They suck at being terrorists they could cause so much more damage by just having a few guys walk into the mall of america and unload a few hundred rounds of ammo than they have at any time since 9/11.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2013, 09:09 AM
The New York Times did an article detailing just how easy it is to get a gun online. With no background check. And that some of the sellers were convicted felons who are not allowed to own guns. And further highlights an issue about what a gun "dealer" is (who is required to do background checks) and someone who is just selling their own guns. We require people who sell too many cars in one year, to be licensed to sell them, but there is no cap on the number of guns you can sell and not be considered a dealer. And when there is a separate craigslist just for guns and there are no real restrictions on who can sell or buy, what the fuck?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
25-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Look it up yourself, Chas. Here is my rebuttal to your already ridiculous arguments.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episode...k-mazzetti

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
25-04-2013, 03:04 PM
(24-04-2013 04:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 10:06 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Exactly, and I really can't find anybody here vocal about banning guns altogether either. The previous gun debates, literally no one suggested the banning of all firearms. I supported stricter gun legislation, because that is the logical and legal thing to do. Pro-gun and anti-gun supporters are like the far right and far left on the political spectrum. People like Phaedrus, Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver, Chas, and TheBlackKnight all posses the identical tunnel vision on this matter. Their arguments seem to be directed towards people who want guns to be criminalized and I keep looking around trying to find to whom those arguments are directed.

What do you mean it is the legal thing to do? Anything that is law is legal. It's legal to own nuclear bombs if it isn't restricted by law. It's legal to mass murder Jews if legislation is passed.

Additionally, there have been people on this forum who held the position that we should outright ban guns. If I remember correctly, TBD was one of them. He isn't alone though, that stupid cunt-face democrat who introduced the last bill that was shot down voiced publicly that she would like to ban guns altogether.

I am not against all gun legislation, but I am probably less likely to go along with restrictions than yourself. As far as I am concerned I think that there are already too many restrictions, at least at state and local levels. Illinois, Chicago, New York, Tennessee, California and others are too restrictive. However I am okay with most of them (with a few exceptions). The states and local governments can put restrictions on them, and I can choose not to live there, so long as it doesn't violate the constitution.

By legal, I mean gun restriction is entirely constitutional.

25-04-2013, 03:08 PM
(25-04-2013 03:03 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Look it up yourself, Chas. Here is my rebuttal to your already ridiculous arguments.

Make your own point.
If you think self defense is ridiculous, then we have nothing more to talk about.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-04-2013, 03:10 PM

25-04-2013, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2013 03:17 PM by Logica Humano.)
(25-04-2013 03:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-04-2013 03:03 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Look it up yourself, Chas. Here is my rebuttal to your already ridiculous arguments.

Make your own point.
If you think self defense is ridiculous, then we have nothing more to talk about.
I am not going to rehash a video that has so many of my criticisms for the 'defense' of gun rights.
It is statistically ridiculous, proof provided multiple times. This is why I said you posses tunnel vision.

25-04-2013, 03:17 PM
(25-04-2013 03:12 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(25-04-2013 03:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  Make your own point.

It is statistically ridiculous, proof provided multiple times. This is why I said you posses tunnel vision.

You can not apply statistics to individuals. Many people on this forum make that mistake in various arguments.

Statistics are descriptive of groups, the are not predictive of individuals.

My guns are stored safely, I am trained in their use.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-04-2013, 03:26 PM
(25-04-2013 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-04-2013 03:12 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  It is statistically ridiculous, proof provided multiple times. This is why I said you posses tunnel vision.

You can not apply statistics to individuals. Many people on this forum make that mistake in various arguments.

Statistics are descriptive of groups, the are not predictive of individuals.

My guns are stored safely, I am trained in their use.

It is completely irrelevant whether or not you own and care for your weapons when the majority do not. I can and will apply these statistics of GUN OWNERS to GUN OWNERS.

25-04-2013, 03:29 PM
(25-04-2013 08:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Something else to keep in mind is that military personnel, career military professionals, and law enforcement, all have opinions on this too. And wouldn't you know it, some of them even support better gun laws. Well...I'll be damned.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/01/23/2...ntrol.html

Well, everyone is an individual and has their own personal opinions. Those are all very diverse groups. What you call "better gun laws" I'd call "more restrictive gun laws". It's a non-biased term, and accurate term imho.