Another example of logic vs emotion in the gun debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2014, 02:56 AM
RE: Another example of logic vs emotion in the gun debate
Switzerland has a huge social consciousness. The US does not.

The US was built on the strength of the individual, the natural inclination to protect what one has, and our genesis was violence. I believe our violent tendencies are inherent to our ideologies. Mental health issues exist in all 1st world nations--so strike that one.

I'm off topic, sorry.

The debate is stalemated. I like to believe that logic wins the day; its not about guns!

I am not a gun toting person; I have a strong social consciousness (likely that's why), but I support the right to bare arms in this country, and would fight for the right of others to keep their firearms.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2014, 06:36 AM
RE: Another example of logic vs emotion in the gun debate
I've been involved in this debate for well over 50 years and I do not have any answers. My wife taught high school and junior high school French and Spanish for 30 years in Colorado Springs. She had close friends in Columbine High School who were in the midst of the tragedy. It affected my wife profoundly.

On the other side of the coin, when I was in high school and college, I worked for a custom rifle builder. I started when I was 16 years old and have been building my own centerfire rifles for 51 years. I am also a handgun and rifle instructor, a hunter safety instructor, and I created a course especially for handgun hunters. I also spent 40 years, before my retirement, as a criminal defense lawyer and shooting helped keep me sane. Serious shooting is a very disciplined sport and requires intense focus. For about 20 years I taught self defense and many of my students were women who had been in abusive relationships and a few of them used the skills I taught them to protect themselves from death or serious injury at the hands of crazy ex-husbands.

I've taught many people to shoot who were initially terrified of guns. It is no exaggeration to say that most of them came to love the discipline of shooting, even those who did not want to take the class but were pushed into it by family members. Some never did come to like it. My wife of 45 years has taken the course and she is an excellent shot with a handgun. However, shooting is not her thing. Our son and his wife are both shooters but their son, our 8 year old grandson, does not like shooting. He hates the noise and nobody will ever pressure him into becoming a shooter.

I hope you people can come up with a workable solution to ALL violence, not only gun violence. I do not want to give up an activity that has brought me so much peace and pleasure.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post