Another hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Another hello
Hi everyone Smile
Just a few words of introduction. My family abandoned me and as embarrassing as it is to admit I have no real friends. I could not find any atheist community in my city. I hope I can find a place for myself here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2015, 02:53 PM
RE: Another hello
You are welcome here!

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
03-08-2015, 02:54 PM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Welcome Smile Sorry about your family. That's mean.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Welcome aboard!
03-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Welcome Smile

I'm so sorry you are going through all of that with your family. This is a safe place for you to come to and be free of all of that for a little while. Hug
03-08-2015, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 03:37 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(03-08-2015 01:11 PM)Marsillya Wrote:  Hi everyone Smile
Just a few words of introduction. My family abandoned me and as embarrassing as it is to admit I have no real friends. I could not find any atheist community in my city. I hope I can find a place for myself here.

Congrats! and welcome. Find solace in the sad fact that if your family and friends truly loved you, they would have accepted you, and your beliefs, or non beliefs. To punish a family member because they no longer subscribe to the family's delusion of choice is an indication of you are better off without them. I in no way imply I have any knowledge of your familial situation, background or beliefs, but this is a common problem for newly de-converted atheists. Look at the world around you....breathe in its splendor, its beauty without the blindfold of faith and "god glasses" on....look at the opportunity to find new meaningful relationships with like minded individuals....smile, be confident, there is much joy in the world without religion.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
03-08-2015, 03:33 PM
I would never have expected such a warm welcome. Thank You so much, it means a lot to me.
[+] 3 users Like Marsillya's post
03-08-2015, 03:34 PM
hi!! jump right in, don't be shy and you will be a regular here in no time

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
03-08-2015, 11:57 PM
Hi, I won't pretend to understand how you feel as I haven't been disowned by family members due to my rejection of superstitious nonsense. I can completely understand why people would lie to parents in order to keep some kind of small relationship and you could pretend to be a believer just to make them happy with you. That is unless they are in a cult like the Jehovah's whtnesses or something along those lines. The reality in this world is that Atheists are discriminated against and most of us have to hide in order to survive. I just happen to be in a place that is more accepting of free-thinkers and have parents that are free-thinkers as well. I did grow up in church and my mother did make me go to church as a child, but she eventually rejected those beliefs around the same time I did, even though we lived hundreds of kilometers apart.

Unless you are living in the Middle-east there is a very high chance that you can make some local friends that also reject religious nonsense and may be able to make friends with them. It is interesting how many differences you can get past with people when you have this one thing in common, a thing that should be the norm in a society as scientifically advance as ours is. It wouldn't be just for yourself either. As social animals we do want to be able to be open with others who won't reject our true selves just because we are capable of reasonable thought. Even if you are managing on your own, you could be a huge help to others just by being their new family. We are all related after all.