Another missing airliner ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 06:58 PM
RE: Another missing airliner ...
Quote:AirAsia Flight 8501 vanished in airspace thick with storm clouds on its way from Surabaya, Indonesia, to Singapore.

Yup. Storm season over here. Torrential downpours and thunder so loud it can stop (or re-start) your heart. It's raining now... sheets of it.

Things is, that's no surprise for this time of year so experienced pilots can handle it.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2014, 11:23 PM
(28-12-2014 06:24 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Nah, ain't gonna happen. I always laugh inside when the flight attendant is doing their FAA required song and dance on how to put on a life jacket and exit the plane because I know full well no one survives a plunge into the ocean from 32,000 feet. The routine is only to make you feel better.

Um... I was chatting to a mate who flies for SAA and he said much the same thing - ditching a big plane is incredibly difficult 'cos of the engines - they hit the water first and the plane flips... Is that what you're referring to or are there other reasons why survival is unlikely? Is there not any hope to design a better plane which *can* be landed safely on water? Like... with some mechanism to ditch the engines first or something?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-12-2014, 11:47 PM
I am probably naive, but I can't understand how these planes disappear without any trace at all. No

It just doesn't seem possible in this day and age there is no wreckage. Nothing. I also don't know how often this happens, but it seems fishy it has happened so often recently. I am not one to jump on conspiracy stuff, it just bothers me. Unsure
[+] 1 user Likes Kitty Galore's post
29-12-2014, 06:03 AM
2014: The Year of the Downed Commercial Flights.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-12-2014, 06:05 AM
(28-12-2014 11:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  Is there not any hope to design a better plane which *can* be landed safely on water?

Not wanting to derail a thread about what is a sincerely felt tragedy,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEcLE89XBis

Machines were designed to safely do just that.

The way in which we built and utilized infrastructure changed the way we built the planes.

As for engineering a plane to safely 'ditch' onto/into water? I think you'll find 'Cost' is always the bottom line instead of other things.

Much cheers to all.
29-12-2014, 06:07 AM
(28-12-2014 11:47 PM)Kitty Galore Wrote:  I am probably naive, but I can't understand how these planes disappear without any trace at all. No

It just doesn't seem possible in this day and age there is no wreckage. Nothing. I also don't know how often this happens, but it seems fishy it has happened so often recently. I am not one to jump on conspiracy stuff, it just bothers me. Unsure

It is sad when such things happen. In the age of firing up a computer. Hopping on the internet. I think people sometimes forget that there are huge amounts of space with no people about at all.

There are still paces about the world in which to become misplaced.

Much cheers to all.
29-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Seeing as more of Mars is mapped than Earth, I am not shocked. I think it's just kind of stupid. With knowledge and technology there should be a better set up. Which 7 billion of us can get this together (in a cost-effective manner, to boot)?

Sad about this disappearing plane. Sad
29-12-2014, 02:07 PM
(28-12-2014 11:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 06:24 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Nah, ain't gonna happen. I always laugh inside when the flight attendant is doing their FAA required song and dance on how to put on a life jacket and exit the plane because I know full well no one survives a plunge into the ocean from 32,000 feet. The routine is only to make you feel better.

Um... I was chatting to a mate who flies for SAA and he said much the same thing - ditching a big plane is incredibly difficult 'cos of the engines - they hit the water first and the plane flips... Is that what you're referring to or are there other reasons why survival is unlikely? Is there not any hope to design a better plane which *can* be landed safely on water? Like... with some mechanism to ditch the engines first or something?

Maybe they should be flying these:

[Image: Flying-Boat.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-12-2014, 09:59 AM
(28-12-2014 05:33 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Indonesia's fine, it's the Malaysian ones you gotta worry about.

I would say Indonesia is... more or less OK, rather than fine Wink
It has had some problems over the last decade[1][2]. It is rated below Malaysia by the FAA[3].

Quote:All air carriers certified by the authorities with responsibility for regulatory oversight of Indonesia, with the exception of Garuda Indonesia, Airfast Indonesia, Mandala Airlines, and Ekspres Transportasi Antarbenua, and Indonesia Air Asia are subject to a ban within the European Community
A good basic rule: Try to fly with airlines that aren't banned from EU airspace due to safety problems.

[1] http://aviation-safety.net/database/coun....php?id=PK
[2] http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/n...ewsId=8666
[3] http://aviation-safety.net/database/coun....php?id=9M

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
30-12-2014, 10:18 AM

That said, apparently most accidents that occur these days are "survivable"[1]. That is, at least one person survives the accident. Apparently the NTSB says that 95% of plane occupants survive the crashes in which there are some fatalities[2]. If you come down on land there is a reasonable chance that at least the portion where the attendant says to count the number of chairs between you and the exit will be useful survival information, as will be the instructions on how to unbuckle your seatbelt. Occasionally even (calm) water landings are survivable[3].

[1] http://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-plane-c...head-says/
[2] http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Survive_a_Plane_Crash
[3]

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.