Another missing airliner ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2014, 10:24 AM
RE: Another missing airliner ...
(28-12-2014 11:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 06:24 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Nah, ain't gonna happen. I always laugh inside when the flight attendant is doing their FAA required song and dance on how to put on a life jacket and exit the plane because I know full well no one survives a plunge into the ocean from 32,000 feet. The routine is only to make you feel better.

Um... I was chatting to a mate who flies for SAA and he said much the same thing - ditching a big plane is incredibly difficult 'cos of the engines - they hit the water first and the plane flips... Is that what you're referring to or are there other reasons why survival is unlikely? Is there not any hope to design a better plane which *can* be landed safely on water? Like... with some mechanism to ditch the engines first or something?

Modern jetliners aren't designed to glide but rather to be as efficiently aerodynamic as possible to conserve fuel. Because of this their wing area to weight ratio is low as compared to say the old DC-3 and C-47s that could actually glide.

Then there is the issue of waves. A few years ago when the incident of the plane landing in the river (Potomac?) the surface was flat and the plane came in at a very low angle from a low altitude since it had been in the air but for a short time. The probability of those conditions being the same are incalculable.

The idea of being able to "drop" the engines I've never heard of. I don't know if that is feasible since I'm no aeronautical engineer, I just happen to have been around airplanes a lot because of my father's work.

I'm not trying to be morbid just being realistic.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Quote:The AirAsia pilots had been worried about the weather on Sunday and had sought permission to climb above threatening clouds, but were denied due to heavy air traffic. Minutes later, the jet was gone from the radar without issuing a distress signal.

Pilots rely on sophisticated weather-radar systems that include a dashboard display of storms and clouds, as well as reports from other crews, to steer around dangerous weather, and it's unlikely that alone would cause the plane to crash.
http://news.yahoo.com/indonesian-officia...46556.html

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
30-12-2014, 11:37 AM
AirAsia plane's wreckage found, bodies retrieved

https://in.news.yahoo.com/airasia-planes...04213.html

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Quote:I'm not trying to be morbid just being realistic.

Yeah, fair enough. I just... I get kinda freaked out whenever I board a plane - not enough to *not* board it but I don't particularly enjoy these kinda news items Sadcryface So I pass the time thinking of things to do if the plane falls outta the sky... I don't know how much time you'd have... Probably just enough to hug the person next to you...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.