Another obvious reason that God is man-made

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Another obvious reason that God is man-made
It occurred to me today that monotheistic gods are always mighty and the afterlife is always desired. No god meant to be worshiped is ever a puny, bumbling idiot. Theists always profess that their god is mighty, all-knowing, and can do anything he wants. But it's equally possible that if a god existed, he would be a feeble, incompetent fool. If theists acknowledged that the god they had discovered was an embarrassment and followed him begrudgingly, I'd be more swayed to believe. But instead, they attribute Zeus-like qualities to him and use him as a bragging tool (look how strong MY god is). If a god existed, you would have to accept him as he is, not how you want him to be.

And same goes for the afterlife. How many religions out there promise eternal torture, regardless of what you do? A pleasing afterlife is a marketing tool used to recruit members. So if the promised afterlife was grim and devoid of personal gain, again I'd be more inclined to believe that maybe this religion is telling the truth. It would be claiming truth regardless of desirable traits, not offering unlimited chocolate cake to fatties.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
09-05-2012, 11:35 PM
RE: Another obvious reason that God is man-made
In my experience most theists believe themselves to be above everyone else so I guess it makes sense that they persevere their God as an all powerful strong man who can bench press 500lbs and gets all the bitches.

For all they know he probably died in his sleep, after all we haven't herd from him in a while.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
10-05-2012, 12:45 AM
If any god, ever, had even one quality which was not a culturally dependant, anthropomorphic, exaggerated, idea, totally dependant on it's context, it might make ya pause. But it's NEVER EVER happened. (Of course they got it ... "made in his image" bla bla). Every god arose ONLY in it's cultural context. If Paul had said Jeebus' dad was a Quantum Computer" I might have to take a look.

In the name of the Proton, the Sun, and the Holy Quark. Amen.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
10-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Okay .. now granted times are rough here in the U.S. .... unemployment is outragious at the moment... alot of people losing their homes and so on...
I currently have a part time job.. (after struggling 2 years to find this current job).. and some dude with a black name tag decided to interrogate / pry / snoop / annoy me about my life and blessings.... my religion...
I proudly announced that I was an atheist..
He said .. "your blessings would be so much if you just had faith"....
I said... "are you employed right now?"
He answered "no."
I said ..." wow.. your God has really blessed you hasn't he... "

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
10-05-2012, 01:23 AM

(09-05-2012 11:03 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  It occurred to me today that monotheistic gods are always mighty and the afterlife is always desired. No god meant to be worshiped is ever a puny, bumbling idiot. Theists always profess that their god is mighty, all-knowing, and can do anything he wants. But it's equally possible that if a god existed, he would be a feeble, incompetent fool. If theists acknowledged that the god they had discovered was an embarrassment and followed him begrudgingly, I'd be more swayed to believe. But instead, they attribute Zeus-like qualities to him and use him as a bragging tool (look how strong MY god is). If a god existed, you would have to accept him as he is, not how you want him to be.

You have a very good point. Identification is a psychological defense mechanism for those who feel inadequate.

Quote:And same goes for the afterlife. How many religions out there promise eternal torture, regardless of what you do? A pleasing afterlife is a marketing tool used to recruit members. So if the promised afterlife was grim and devoid of personal gain, again I'd be more inclined to believe that maybe this religion is telling the truth. It would be claiming truth regardless of desirable traits, not offering unlimited chocolate cake to fatties.

That's true. My belief in the afterlife, honestly, can go either way. I believe in a lucid spiritual plane where your consciousness basically goes into a kind of lucid dream. I think a person can make a heaven or hell out of that depending on the wisdom they have acquired over their lifetime(s).

One caveat, I tend to think that God throws us back into reincarnation if we fuck things up too badly. After all, he has to experience whatever we create.

I'll bet he's got some stories to tell!
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2012, 02:16 AM
25,000 people die each day of hunger and I used to feel good when I prayed to an all powerful god... how arrogant I used to be!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
10-05-2012, 03:42 AM
(10-05-2012 02:16 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  25,000 people die each day of hunger and I used to feel good when I prayed to an all powerful god... how arrogant I used to be!

And at the same time you have people sitting around the table thanking God for putting the food there...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Sounds like the Greek gods. They all had specific traits, some desirable and some not so much. The afterlife was the same for everyone and wasn't some paradise.

A god with more human-like traits and an afterlife with more Earth-like traits (ie not a paradise) wouldn't make it more believable, it would just be more obviously human constructed.

Anyone who claims knowledge of what happens after death is making an assumption based not on eviendece, but pure wishful speculation. Just because it might be a heaven or hell in their mind doesn't mean it is any more likely, just more silly.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
10-05-2012, 07:13 AM
The Afterlife:
Hell = stick
Heaven = carrot

Same old story: Control ---> Power ---> Money (for someone else, not you)

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
10-05-2012, 08:28 AM
I was on the same page beardy, when I was introduced to the greek gods, I seriously would've followed em as a kid. They were so much more acceptable in the long run than baptist christianity. The best part was that they paid litte to no attention to humans and only occasionally popped in to have a laugh.

While I agree that it's more believable I do feel that it's been done. And just as beardy said, there is no extra proof just because the god becomes more feasible. YHWH doesn't gain any brownie points for mistakenly wiping out nearly everything on earth because he got a bit offended. He may be touted as perfect, but he is one of the worst gods at making a statement then backing out of responsibility for it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post