Another oddly specific question. Any Locksport Enthusiasts here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2016, 02:37 AM
Another oddly specific question. Any Locksport Enthusiasts here?
I am just curious, since there are quite a few people on this board, if anybody else is into Locksport?

For those who don't know, Locksport is a competition based on the art of lock picking. Everything from pin/tumbler locks to wafer locks to tubular locks to electronic locks, even safecracking, is part of Locksport. The hobby/sport is literally worldwide, there are people who practice and post online and have underground competitions in countries where owning lock picks will get you tossed into prison, in fact. Locksport is NOT a criminal enterprise or organization, however- it's about the challenge, the puzzle solving.
Everyone gets interested in different ways. For myself, about 25 years ago I was finally assigned to SWAT, a posting I'd been working towards for 4 years. I was on a narcotics entry team, and our commander wanted a wide range of skills on the team- if you found a class that offered a new skill set, he would approve it, no questions asked. Particularly valuable classes became standard, even mandatory. One such class was commonly called "Burglary school", although its proper title was "Covert Entry School".
Part of the course was taught at the state prison, by actual criminals, who earned better conditions by assisting with the program, and the rest of the class was taught by experienced officers and a couple of special forces instructors. There were 3 courses, Covert Entry 1, 2 and 3. Each was 80 hours long, so these were fairly substantial classes.
We learned how to open and hotwire vehicles, how to open padlocks, deadbolts, keypad locks, biometric locks, time locks, safes of all types, etc. Mostly we used covert techniques- i.e. no damage no signs, but we also learned how to drill and blow safes and hardened doors. It was a great series of classes, one of those times you can't believe they're paying you, you'd happily pay them for the opportunity! (You don't mention this out loud)
Anyway, I got pretty good at picking locks and kept it up as a hobby, collecting any old locks I could find and using them for practice. Eventually I came across Toool, The Open Organisation Of Lockpickers, and Locksport. It's great fun, challenging, and mentally stimulating.

Anyone interested, start with Youtube, a friend of mine has about a thousand videos posted, he's a great guy. Search for BosnianBill. Interesting and informative. Search for locksport in your area on google if you think you'd like to join.

But back to my original question...any locksport types already here?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2016, 07:13 AM
RE: Another oddly specific question. Any Locksport Enthusiasts here?
I picked up a set of lock picks once upon a time --- in a tool box I inherited....

I spent a few hours trying to pick a lock......

To be honest -- I don't see the point....

I can go through a padlock with a side grinder in about 10 seconds...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-08-2016, 07:44 AM
Non smartass answer: No
Smartass answer: Does an M26 MASS count as picking a lock?

'Murican Canadian
23-08-2016, 08:44 AM
(23-08-2016 07:44 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Non smartass answer: No
Smartass answer: Does an M26 MASS count as picking a lock?

It's faster than my sidegrinder....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Quote:I picked up a set of lock picks once upon a time --- in a tool box I inherited....

I spent a few hours trying to pick a lock......

To be honest -- I don't see the point....

I can go through a padlock with a side grinder in about 10 seconds...

There's a big difference between a guy who "Picked up a set of picks once" and someone who learns and practices. I can go through most normal security locks in under 10 seconds- many in under 5- and I make no noise, require no power or tools that won't fit in a shirt pocket, and don't damage the lock in any way. I just think that's cool. Cool
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
23-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Quote:Smartass answer: Does an M26 MASS count as picking a lock?

Ok, you two morons Laughat we had seriously cool breaching tools in SWAT too, ya know Facepalm

Quickly and quietly without leaving a trace has it's cool side too. Y'all need to watch some locksport videos- all bullshit aside, I can go through most doors faster with pics than you can with a key. Most kwikset or master locks- the most common found in the US- can be picked in under 5 seconds, sometimes WAY under...it'll make you feel less safe at home, I can almost guarantee! Unsure
23-08-2016, 11:06 AM
(23-08-2016 10:48 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:Smartass answer: Does an M26 MASS count as picking a lock?

Ok, you two morons Laughat we had seriously cool breaching tools in SWAT too, ya know Facepalm

Quickly and quietly without leaving a trace has it's cool side too. Y'all need to watch some locksport videos- all bullshit aside, I can go through most doors faster with pics than you can with a key. Most kwikset or master locks- the most common found in the US- can be picked in under 5 seconds, sometimes WAY under...it'll make you feel less safe at home, I can almost guarantee! Unsure

That actually does sound like a fun skill set to have. Perhaps I'll watch those videos after all Tongue

'Murican Canadian
23-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Quote:That actually does sound like a fun skill set to have. Perhaps I'll watch those videos after all Tongue

Well, I thought since you lied about the Yak thing, you might need a source of entertainment or income...Tongue

There are a lot of vids on youtube, but stick with bosnianbill at first, there is no BS there to confuse. Big Grin