Another one of those "Miracles"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Another one of those "Miracles"
http://bit.ly/rBH88a

I'm not sure how many of you are aware of this event in Aberta, Canada. The details are in the news post.

This just drives me nuts! It was not a miracle, it could not have been a miracle and calling it one just reveals how ridiculous the whole thing is. Three young people were shot and killed. They died young and they died needlessly. The fact that one of them survived is amazing but it's a miracle because god saved one of them and let the rest die? Did they really deserve that, is she more holy than them? These were humans who were victims of a terrible human act, god is a non-player.

What are your thoughts? If there are any Xians here what would your opinion be? How could you possibly begin to explain how something like this is a miracle?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2011, 01:42 PM
RE: Another one of those "Miracles"
Yeah just pure nonsense. This seems like another of the same ole crap....These stories burn me up too.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I guess it's just a matter of perspective... I mean, don't you think you're being a wee bit over analytical and a bit antagonistic towards this?

You argue that it was a terrible act by a human upon other humans and God didn't play a factor. I get that... it makes sense, but you don't believe in a higher power. Apparently, this girl does, and she feels like her survival is a miracle. I mean, against all odds, she's alive. She attributes her life to the interference of God on the event.

Her friends are dead, yes, but she feels that God spared her for some reason from this tragedy and that, to her, is miraculous. From a theological standpoint, sure... not much of a miracle; but, from her perspective it is.

If it was anyone else that said "it's a miracle", I guess it could be considered insensitive, but she and her family saw it as something else.

Besides, I think you might be over analyzing the language used as well. How many times have you ever used "awesome" or the word "literally"? I can promise you that their connotation is very different than their denotation; much like how this girl described her survival. I don't think they actually meant that it was a "miracle" that she survive, but I think that they thought that she was truly lucky to survive something as terrible as this. She and her family's connotative language just expressed this as a "miracle".

[Image: vjp09.gif]
22-12-2011, 02:48 PM
(22-12-2011 02:44 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I guess it's just a matter of perspective... I mean, don't you think you're being a wee bit over analytical and a bit antagonistic towards this?

You argue that it was a terrible act by a human upon other humans and God didn't play a factor. I get that... it makes sense, but you don't believe in a higher power. Apparently, this girl does, and she feels like her survival is a miracle. I mean, against all odds, she's alive. She attributes her life to the interference of God on the event.

Her friends are dead, yes, but she feels that God spared her for some reason from this tragedy and that, to her, is miraculous. From a theological standpoint, sure... not much of a miracle; but, from her perspective it is.

If it was anyone else that said "it's a miracle", I guess it could be considered insensitive, but she and her family saw it as something else.

Besides, I think you might be over analyzing the language used as well. How many times have you ever used "awesome" or the word "literally"? I can promise you that their connotation is very different than their denotation; much like how this girl described her survival. I don't think they actually meant that it was a "miracle" that she survive, but I think that they thought that she was truly lucky to survive something as terrible as this. She and her family's connotative language just expressed this as a "miracle".

Sounds good, but I'm taking a normal christian stance on this, i'm being lazy and going with the easiest path Tongue

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
22-12-2011, 03:20 PM
(22-12-2011 02:44 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I guess it's just a matter of perspective... I mean, don't you think you're being a wee bit over analytical and a bit antagonistic towards this?

Calling it a miracle might be offensive to all the trained medical personnel involved, all of the engineers who designed the medical equipment, and so on.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Hey KC...

You know what strikes me as odd...
Miracles are but miracles when others have died but not you.
Following your logic, simply crossing the street without being run over, getting cancer, or being struck by lighting is already a miracle.

Why is it that miracles only happen under tragic circumstances; why do people need tragedies?

Want to know an atheists answer?
Cognitive dissonance...
"God is great, and if he isn’t... well... I'll find him an excuse"

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
22-12-2011, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2011 03:37 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Really the issue we have is not with the family, but the newspaper. The issue is that the newspaper is shoving the fact that this girl didn't die in the other family's faces. I would say that while you're perfectly correct in your defense King, that every one else has missed the fact that the outrage is really due to the sensationalization of the message.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-12-2011, 03:34 PM
(22-12-2011 03:27 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Hey KC...

Following your logic, simply crossing the street without being run over, getting cancer, or being struck by lighting is already a miracle.

Why is it that miracles only happen under tragic circumstances; why do people need tragedies?

Cognitive dissonance...

I'm not arguing that it was an actual miracle. I'm just explaining the girl's point of view as to why she called it a miracle. As much as anyone hates to admit it, human preservation makes you the most important human in your world. Empathy also plays a role as seen by this girl trying to find some type of explanation as to why she lived and her friends died. The simplest and most comfortable explanation for her was that her survival was a Godly intervention. Moreover, I think it's also the language that is used as I said earlier.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
22-12-2011, 05:55 PM
(22-12-2011 03:34 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-12-2011 03:27 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Hey KC...

Cognitive dissonance...

I'm not arguing that it was an actual miracle. I'm just explaining the girl's point of view as to why she called it a miracle. As much as anyone hates to admit it, human preservation makes you the most important human in your world. Empathy also plays a role as seen by this girl trying to find some type of explanation as to why she lived and her friends died. The simplest and most comfortable explanation for her was that her survival was a Godly intervention. Moreover, I think it's also the language that is used as I said earlier.

It must be a really thankless job being a surgeon. You spend all day on exploratory surgery, call on years of training and learning to heal somebody and have them say when they wake up that a god did it. It doesn't matter who called it a miracle, the point is that religion constantly gives the credit to a god and takes it away from the people who actually perform these so called "miracles". Also, this way of looking at it blocks the woman herself from recognizing how strong she is for living. If a god did it then that strength comes from him not from her. The credit we give to invisible gods and deny the real heroes makes a person crazy.
22-12-2011, 06:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EEKfTnfvA