Another propaganda film

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Another propaganda film
Just saw on my FB feed a bunch of interest from people I know about the film Miracles from Heaven.

Seems to be about a girl with some terminal illnesses that fell out of a tree, visited Jesus and was cured. Weird that I can't find any fact-checking on the book or the girls story.

It makes perfect sense that an all-powerful god would choose this one 9 year old girl to save via falling out of a tree while letting tens of thousands of others die every year of fatal diseases. SMH.

Boo on Jennifer Garner for participating in this film; I used to like her (at least aesthetically).

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
20-11-2015, 11:41 AM
RE: Another propaganda film
I want to see a movie that shows all the suffering in the world and Jesus having a meeting with his agent to discuss his day finding parking spaces, finding keys, and appearing on food. THAT would be an accurate movie.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 5 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
20-11-2015, 11:48 AM
(20-11-2015 11:41 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I want to see a movie that shows all the suffering in the world and Jesus having a meeting with his agent to discuss his day finding parking spaces, finding keys, and appearing on food. THAT would be an accurate movie.

you forgot football games won
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
20-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Angel: Hey, God? What do you want to do about those starving kids in Africa?
God: Fuck 'em.
Angel: Ok. What about this little white girl that fell out of a tree?
God: A white girl!? Heal her immediately!!! You know what? On second thought, forget it. I'm gonna take care of this personally.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 5 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
20-11-2015, 12:33 PM
I think these propaganda films are starting to have the opposite effect than was originally intended

[Image: 004.sig]
20-11-2015, 01:05 PM
(20-11-2015 12:33 PM)Aoi Magi Wrote:  I think these propaganda films are starting to have the opposite effect than was originally intended

list of effects:
1. making them look even more stupid
2. making sheep start to think "is this what I'm associated with ?"
3. giving comedy and face palm material to anyone practicing rational thought
4. looking hypocritical every step of the way
5. providing examples of what not to do when making movies/tv shows/ youtube videos etc etc

did I miss anything ?
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
20-11-2015, 01:09 PM
(20-11-2015 11:41 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I want to see a movie that shows all the suffering in the world and Jesus having a meeting with his agent to discuss his day finding parking spaces, finding keys, and appearing on food. THAT would be an accurate movie.

you mean the stuff we're already seeing 24/7 ?

seen it, been there, done that
20-11-2015, 02:07 PM
I saw the trailer. Do you think it's really smart to advertise the movie as "from the producers of Heaven is for Real" well after we found out the story was just this side of a hoax?

"Miracles from Heaven" isn't much better, though the real life family does seem to be sticking to their story.

The movie is based on a book. And from what I can gather, the best way to describe the book is one word: 'Merica!"

Found an article that summarizes what happens. Pay attention to the actual event of the little girl climbing the tree and falling. Particularly where the parents practice "good parenting" by waiting to call 911 until the dad comes home to rescue his daughter himself. Awesome! Think that'll be in the movie?

“Miracles From Heaven”: The New and Improved “Heaven is for Real”!

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
21-11-2015, 07:20 PM
(20-11-2015 12:33 PM)Aoi Magi Wrote:  I think these propaganda films are starting to have the opposite effect than was originally intended

As far as I know the intended effect is to reassure Christians that they aren't completely wrong and make them feel good about themselves. I imagine it's doing just fine.

(20-11-2015 02:07 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I saw the trailer. Do you think it's really smart to advertise the movie as "from the producers of Heaven is for Real" well after we found out the story was just this side of a hoax?

Pretty sure that was a different story of some kid going to heaven and then coming back.

They're a dime a dozen apparently.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
21-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Le sigh.

You know, I had an interesting idea last night. A historical docudrama about the colonization of the American Northeast, particularly the schisming of the Puritan colony into a squabble of mutually-anathematizing religiously-run settlements, each with their own complete set of strict Puritan laws fit to come out of a horror movie.

You know the happy myth of the Turkey Day Pilgrims here who escaped religious persecution in Europe and founded America as a society based on Christianity, and how the religious right like to use that as an argument for us being a "Christian nation", whatever that's supposed to mean? Something that can wrench that argument from their hands, turn it on them, and shove it up their asses.

Sort of like a halfway point between Game of Thrones and The Scarlet Letter. Less war, but lots of room for hangings, burning people alive, exiling them into the wilds, and forcing them by law to attend church.

Something that shows why the Founders implemented an explicitly secular government in the first place.

I don't have the chops to do the research or filming side of it, but it would be nice if someone could show these people how propaganda is really done. Bonus points for it being actual historical fact.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post