Another propaganda film

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2015, 11:13 PM
RE: Another propaganda film
I also just saw this, but I didn't actually get the religious contexts. I must have seen a different trailer from you as I'm usually pretty good on picking up on this stuff.

It's probably based off of a book first. Wonder if it will end up being another farce just like "Heaven Is Real".

"High moral character is not a precondition for great moral accomplishments." - Christopher Hitchens

Check out my blog here
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2015, 08:57 AM
(21-11-2015 08:42 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Le sigh.

You know, I had an interesting idea last night. A historical docudrama about the colonization of the American Northeast, particularly the schisming of the Puritan colony into a squabble of mutually-anathematizing religiously-run settlements, each with their own complete set of strict Puritan laws fit to come out of a horror movie.

You know the happy myth of the Turkey Day Pilgrims here who escaped religious persecution in Europe and founded America as a society based on Christianity, and how the religious right like to use that as an argument for us being a "Christian nation", whatever that's supposed to mean? Something that can wrench that argument from their hands, turn it on them, and shove it up their asses.

Sort of like a halfway point between Game of Thrones and The Scarlet Letter. Less war, but lots of room for hangings, burning people alive, exiling them into the wilds, and forcing them by law to attend church.

Something that shows why the Founders implemented an explicitly secular government in the first place.

I don't have the chops to do the research or filming side of it, but it would be nice if someone could show these people how propaganda is really done. Bonus points for it being actual historical fact.

That would be a cool movie, but don't forget how certain theists reacted to Last Temptation of Christ. Prepare for the actors, writers, directors, producers, and cinema owners to start receiving bomb/death threats.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
22-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Quote:You know the happy myth of the Turkey Day Pilgrims here who escaped religious persecution in Europe and founded America as a society based on Christianity, and how the religious right like to use that as an argument for us being a "Christian nation", whatever that's supposed to mean? Something that can wrench that argument from their hands, turn it on them, and shove it up their asses.

There is another side to that story.

[Image: Br0Y-EpCQAAmc_o.jpg]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
25-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Tongue