Another radio hoax call witch hunt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Another radio hoax call witch hunt
So what are anyone else's view on the death of British based nurse Mrs. Saldanha? Or the reaction to it?

I don't know how widely this has been reported outside Britain or Australia so I'll summarise it for anyone who hasn't heard about it. Two Australian radio DJ's made a prank call to a London hospital where Kate Middleton was being treated for acute morning sickness. The DJ's pretended to be the Queen and Prince Charles to find out information about Kate's condition. Mrs. Saldanha answered the call and put the DJ's through to another nurse who explained Kate's condition in detail. The call was recorded and later broadcast after being reviewed by people at the radio station. After the story made the front pages in Britain Mrs. Saldanha committed suicide.

What happened to Mrs. Saldanha is a tragedy, it goes without saying. However, the vilification and vitriol I've heard directed at the two DJ's since has been, in my opinion, ridiculous and unwarranted. I didn't hear any criticism of the DJ's before Mrs. Saldanha's suicide, and I've heard plenty since, so I can only surmise that the DJ's are being vilified because of the suicide and not the actual prank call itself. I think that it is wrong for people to be judged, not on their actions, but on other people's response's to their actions. I also think it hypocritical that radio DJ's make prank calls all the time without incident, yet these two people face public outrage for doing the exact same thing.

What are anyone else's opinions on this story?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 09:23 PM
RE: Another radio hoax call witch hunt
(10-12-2012 09:20 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  So what are anyone else's view on the death of British based nurse Mrs. Saldanha? Or the reaction to it?

I don't know how widely this has been reported outside Britain or Australia so I'll summarise it for anyone who hasn't heard about it. Two Australian radio DJ's made a prank call to a London hospital where Kate Middleton was being treated for acute morning sickness. The DJ's pretended to be the Queen and Prince Charles to find out information about Kate's condition. Mrs. Saldanha answered the call and put the DJ's through to another nurse who explained Kate's condition in detail. The call was recorded and later broadcast after being reviewed by people at the radio station. After the story made the front pages in Britain Mrs. Saldanha committed suicide.

What happened to Mrs. Saldanha is a tragedy, it goes without saying. However, the vilification and vitriol I've heard directed at the two DJ's since has been, in my opinion, ridiculous and unwarranted. I didn't hear any criticism of the DJ's before Mrs. Saldanha's suicide, and I've heard plenty since, so I can only surmise that the DJ's are being vilified because of the suicide and not the actual prank call itself. I think that it is wrong for people to be judged, not on their actions, but on other people's response's to their actions. I also think it hypocritical that radio DJ's make prank calls all the time without incident, yet these two people face public outrage for doing the exact same thing.

I am sorry for the nurse and her family, but this is not the DJs' fault. That she committed suicide is unfortunate but unforeseeable as it is a disproportionate response to a little embarrassment.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-12-2012, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2012 10:33 PM by LadyJane.)
(10-12-2012 09:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 09:20 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  So what are anyone else's view on the death of British based nurse Mrs. Saldanha? Or the reaction to it?

I am sorry for the nurse and her family, but this is not the DJs' fault. That she committed suicide is unfortunate but unforeseeable as it is a disproportionate response to a little embarrassment.

Agreed.
Yes, this has made news highlights here. It's been reported that the DJs are receiving death threats as well.
10-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Thank you Chas and LJ.

You've just illustrated perfectly why TTA is my island of sanity in the sea of madness that is the world. Smile

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
10-12-2012, 10:30 PM
It's been on the news here a good bit. While it is sad that the nurse took her own life; that certainly wasn't the intent of the bit done by the radio hosts.

I am a bit surprised with all the rules we have in America regarding medical confidentiality (HIPAA) that information is so easily given out in Great Britain. I can't go to a doctor that I have seen regularly without signing the confidentiality paperwork every so often.

While I am sure the nurse was embarrassed, I am curious to know what else was going on her life to push her over the edge.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-12-2012, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2012 10:49 PM by Bucky Ball.)
It's been on the news here a lot also. It was, more than anything, a failure of the
a. hospital administration, to train and warn the staff. They knew Kate would possibly be coming. The Risk Management people should have had a plan in place, and trained the staff how to deal with calls from the press.
b. The Secret Service (equivalent), should have had codes set up with the Royal Family, (and they probably did), for ID of callers, if any, known to the staff.
It was not the clerks fault, not the DJ's fault. It was an incompetent hospital administration.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-12-2012, 10:47 PM
(10-12-2012 10:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am a bit surprised with all the rules we have in America regarding medical confidentiality (HIPAA) that information is so easily given out in Great Britain. I can't go to a doctor that I have seen regularly without signing the confidentiality paperwork every so often.

While I am sure the nurse was embarrassed, I am curious to know what else was going on her life to push her over the edge.
I think this is why it became a big stress- it shouldn't be that easy. With royalty involved I am thinking that they panicked and tried to help 'the queen' but made a hasty judgement and then higher-ups realized how much went wrong with the confidentiality. I wonder how livid the queen was behind the scenes. I wonder what pressure that put on the hospital and on these nurses. It probably fell on their shoulders. Sad

But, there are ways to deal with that mess then the sad outcome that did happen. Like the DJ's said, they thought it would end with a hang up. They couldn't have predicted this, I don't think.
10-12-2012, 11:04 PM
From some of the latest articles I've seen blame seems to be shifting from the DJ's to the radio station.

It makes me wanna beat my head against a wall, I probably coulda predicted it beforehand.

DJ's make this prank call where they haven't really done anything wrong. Unfortunate, unforeseen event follows and people begin to look for scapegoats. DJ's make good scapegoats. DJ's make a public and very sorrowful apology, this shows them in a favourable way and humanises them in the eyes of the public, people begin to empathise with DJ's. DJ's are no longer good scapegoats. Rather than accept that not every tragedy requires blame to be thrown around indiscriminately or attempting to analyse the details to find who is really to blame and then dealing with it in a fair manner, people look for new scapegoat. Radio station makes good scapegoat as people feel like they are blaming one of those big corporations that most of the world irrationally hate, as an added bonus blaming the station pushes all the blame onto those at the top (probably entitled executives) that everyone really loves to hate because the bastards dared to be successful in life, a further bonus is they get to avoid blaming anyone at the hospital which is good because people hear hospital and think doctors/nurses and no-one wants to hate them (except dumb-ass fundies).

Best
Worst
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
10-12-2012, 11:43 PM
(10-12-2012 11:04 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  From some of the latest articles I've seen blame seems to be shifting from the DJ's to the radio station.

It makes me wanna beat my head against a wall, I probably coulda predicted it beforehand.

DJ's make this prank call where they haven't really done anything wrong. Unfortunate, unforeseen event follows and people begin to look for scapegoats. DJ's make good scapegoats. DJ's make a public and very sorrowful apology, this shows them in a favourable way and humanises them in the eyes of the public, people begin to empathise with DJ's. DJ's are no longer good scapegoats. Rather than accept that not every tragedy requires blame to be thrown around indiscriminately or attempting to analyse the details to find who is really to blame and then dealing with it in a fair manner, people look for new scapegoat. Radio station makes good scapegoat as people feel like they are blaming one of those big corporations that most of the world irrationally hate, as an added bonus blaming the station pushes all the blame onto those at the top (probably entitled executives) that everyone really loves to hate because the bastards dared to be successful in life, a further bonus is they get to avoid blaming anyone at the hospital which is good because people hear hospital and think doctors/nurses and no-one wants to hate them (except dumb-ass fundies).
Yip.
Pretty much it in a nutshell.

What I don't get is hacking group Anonymous threatening the radio station that if they don't fire the DJ's they'll hack their shit. I mean WTF!!?? that doesn't even make sense from that group. But whatever, anonymous are a bunch of fucktards anyway.

So this has been all over the news here. I really didn't understand why until tonight when I herd that the nurse killed herself. To which my first response was 'wtf are you fucking kidding me?'. I'm going to agree with my flatmate on this one, she obviously had other psychological issues.
Being a nurse, one in charge of royal family at that, she must have been under enormous stress. Probably sleep deprived thrown in for good measure.
The added stress with the media hounding her for her mistake (because she really shouldn't have given out that information) wouldn't have helped in the slightest.
No doubt the hospital would have been all over her ass as well, she probably lost her job etc..

I think it was not one persons fault but rather a collective of poorly handled events. Media, Hospital bosses, nature of her job, public.
To say this is the radio stations fault is a faaaar stretch. This is Aussie humor, they (and us Kiwi's as well) do shit like this alll the time. Reminds of when a funny TV personality did a prank where he dressed up as a pilot and he actually got onto the run way and all through the airport. He got arrested and there was a huge stunk about it, but if anything it shows the lack of security at our airports.

It's been blown WAY out of proportion.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
11-12-2012, 12:37 AM
They're playing the blame game here in Australia a good deal.

In my opinion many people fawn over the Royals for no good reason and it was this unhealthy attitude which made the unfortunate woman take her life, It is also possible that the hospital staff chastised her, though they deny doing this.