Another radio hoax call witch hunt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2012, 09:01 AM
RE: Another radio hoax call witch hunt
What the DJs did was kind of lousy, in my opinion, but it's not all that high on the hurtfulness scale as far as pranks go. Some so-called "jokes" are a lot more cruel. (Google "rocking chair ghost" and watch the video, for example. But don't say I didn't warn you.)

Regardless of how hurtful or nasty it may have been, though, you can't lay the blame for the resulting suicide at the feet of the pranksters. The woman killing herself is an indication of a problem on her part, not theirs.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Wait a sec...

I don't know about this story, other than the OP, but did the suicide victim give out any info? Did she actually screw up? It looks to me like she answered a phone and then transferred the call to someone else. At least that's what I got from the OP.

If that's the case, then she had no reason to blame herself for any wrong behavior. Transferring a call? Really? She suicided over that? I don't believe it for a minute. If that was the straw that broke her camel's back, then I'm willing to bet that camel was already bent to the breaking point by other crap in her life that made her suicidal. Whatever the other crap was, that's got to be why she committed suicide, not the prank call.

This poor woman was really messed up and almost certainly suicidal before this happened.

What's next?

Let me predict the future here: Our next stupid blame game story will be something like this: "Read all about it, famous actor says 'hello' to a person on an elevator who subsequently commits suicide. Police are pressing homicide charges against the actor for his part in killing the suicidal person. The public is calling for the actor to be fired and blacklisted and never work again."

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
11-12-2012, 12:28 PM
The nurse gave out "confidential" information, because they were tricked by shitty pommy accents, A.S.

Technically she did give out information about some stuck up, undeserving of fame, bitches f'n morning sickness.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Just to clarify Mrs. Saldanha didn't give out any information. She transferred the DJ's to another nurse. The second nurse gave out the info.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
11-12-2012, 02:59 PM
(11-12-2012 02:51 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Just to clarify Mrs. Saldanha didn't give out any information. She transferred the DJ's to another nurse. The second nurse gave out the info.
So why did she get blamed then? I read a couple of articles on the BBC website, but I have very low boredom threshold when it comes to stories that involve the royal family and my mind might have drifted away.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
11-12-2012, 03:09 PM
(11-12-2012 02:51 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Just to clarify Mrs. Saldanha didn't give out any information. She transferred the DJ's to another nurse. The second nurse gave out the info.
I stand corrected, but the principal of her causing the information to get out remains the same.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
11-12-2012, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 06:18 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(11-12-2012 02:59 PM)Vera Wrote:  
So why did she get blamed then? I read a couple of articles on the BBC website, but I have very low boredom threshold when it comes to stories that involve the royal family and my mind might have drifted away.

I think she was blamed herself for falling for it and sending the call through. I think the whole thing was stupid but the DJs were no more to blame than Judas Priest was in the death of that kid. Or was that, kids? I forget.
11-12-2012, 06:03 PM
If it were "that kids" then it wouldn't be "that kids", it would be "those kids". But you're right. As I mentioned, Saldanha didn't kill herself over this. She had problems. Real problems (to her anyway) that were bigger and more inescapable than this phone call. Maybe this event was the trigger (I hope she didn't suicide by gun; if she did, I'll feel bad about using "trigger") that pushed her over the edge, but she had to already be on the edge anyway. Any saner, less suicidal person would have simply told the media "I was busy, I didn't have time to vet who was on the line or whether their identities were legitimate, I was on that call for 20 seconds and then transferred it to some other, less busy nurse so I could go take care of my patients." and that would have been the end of it.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
11-12-2012, 06:25 PM
I left out a comma. I meant, "or was that; "kids"?

But yes, I do agree with what you wrote.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

12-12-2012, 02:26 AM
Suicide in response to humiliation is hard to understand, at least in western society. (I don't know what the woman's cultural background is.)

That said, the stuff these kinds of DJs do sucks. Their "humor" is based on making some innocent person a public laughingstock. That's the lowest way to get laughs--at someone else's expense, someone who doesn't deserve to be humiliated. And the response of the audience to that kind of crap is based on schadenfreude--a feeling of pleasure at another person's pain, along with a feeling of relief that it's "them, not me" who's being shit on.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post