Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
30-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass.
Sagan is the polite Shakespeare calling all this "a flurry of activity signifying nothing". Hitchens would be considered the verbal only Malcolm X of atheists, but even he was very Jeffersonian, in that sure you had the right to make any bullshit claim you wanted, but he had the right to call it bullshit.

So why the attack on Buddhism? Because it is also part of one species, one planet and one evolution. It should not be blasphemy or ridicule free either. That religion was born from Hinduism and the Vedas. The legend of the first Buddha was also a magical story where the divine told his mother Queen Maya that she would give birth to a baby who would bring wisdom to the world, he too had a birth that avoided the birth canal. And it is a religion to call it anything less is bullshit to me. It too has moral codes and holy people and competing sects and different interpretations. While some are atheists and call it a philosophy, others hold the superstitions of "nats"(spirits) and Karma and reincarnation.

Buddhism is as much a superstition as any other religion stemming from mythology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_(moth...he_Buddha)

Does Buddhism automatically make you good? Lets see what this former Muslim who grew up in a Buddhist majority has to say.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-12-29/bu...rt-simpson

And just like every other religion, the cop outs are used "Well they arn't true Buddhists" "Those Buddhists didn't have the right teachers".

https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/4021...f-buddhism

This is just the tip of the ice burg. Point being it is not bigoted to say ALL religions are man made artificial constructs having NOTHING to do with our common existence and our modern scientific understanding of nature, evolution, human behavior, or the universe.

I really get fucking sick of the false accusation of bigotry or being falsely accused of being "militant" for simply pointing out willful ignorance. YES I get that people like what they believe, and from a human rights standpoint I will defend it, but at the same time I will put a blunt mirror to your logic in hopes that you will consider that ALL religions are superfluous placebos at best, and unfortunately still divisive and this post is yet another example.

Again, human rights are a given, but no religion on the face of the planet deserves a taboo.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
30-12-2015, 01:35 PM
RE: Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass.
There is also a tradition of protesting Buddhists lighting themselves on fire while storming into public places. So it's not that it's sentiments is clear of some type of extremist behavior.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
30-12-2015, 02:14 PM
(30-12-2015 01:35 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  There is also a tradition of protesting Buddhists lighting themselves on fire while storming into public places. So it's not that it's sentiments is clear of some type of extremist behavior.

But they did it for a good cause.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
30-12-2015, 02:57 PM
(30-12-2015 07:59 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Sagan is the polite Shakespeare calling all this "a flurry of activity signifying nothing". Hitchens would be considered the verbal only Malcolm X of atheists, but even he was very Jeffersonian, in that sure you had the right to make any bullshit claim you wanted, but he had the right to call it bullshit.

So why the attack on Buddhism? Because it is also part of one species, one planet and one evolution. It should not be blasphemy or ridicule free either. That religion was born from Hinduism and the Vedas. The legend of the first Buddha was also a magical story where the divine told his mother Queen Maya that she would give birth to a baby who would bring wisdom to the world, he too had a birth that avoided the birth canal. And it is a religion to call it anything less is bullshit to me. It too has moral codes and holy people and competing sects and different interpretations. While some are atheists and call it a philosophy, others hold the superstitions of "nats"(spirits) and Karma and reincarnation.

Buddhism is as much a superstition as any other religion stemming from mythology.

Does Buddhism automatically make you good? Lets see what this former Muslim who grew up in a Buddhist majority has to say.

And just like every other religion, the cop outs are used "Well they arn't true Buddhists" "Those Buddhists didn't have the right teachers".

This is just the tip of the ice burg. Point being it is not bigoted to say ALL religions are man made artificial constructs having NOTHING to do with our common existence and our modern scientific understanding of nature, evolution, human behavior, or the universe.

I really get fucking sick of the false accusation of bigotry or being falsely accused of being "militant" for simply pointing out willful ignorance. YES I get that people like what they believe, and from a human rights standpoint I will defend it, but at the same time I will put a blunt mirror to your logic in hopes that you will consider that ALL religions are superfluous placebos at best, and unfortunately still divisive and this post is yet another example.

Again, human rights are a given, but no religion on the face of the planet deserves a taboo.

Former Buddhist here. Yah, it's a religion.

As kids, we were taught that the Buddha is more powerful than any god; be good or you'll be tortured in hell by buffalo-head and horse-face demons; for every rice of grain you waste, you have to eat 10 maggots; if you're bad you'll spend many more reincarnation cycles as mangy dogs, or maggots, or any other 'low' animals; if you're good you'll be reincarnated into a rich family, if you'll really really really really good and pious, you may become a buddha yourself with infinite power.

Also buddism differs depends on where you were born... kinda like christianity... huh... buddhists in China will have different beliefs than the ones in Vietnam, Japan, where ever... kinda like christianity...

All powerful deities, check. Commandments, yup. Childhood indoctrination, check. Hell, check. Heaven, check. Supernatural crap, check. Different denominations, you betcha. Child-molesting priests, unfortunately check, we call them 'cobra' monks.

I find that most of the buddhists in the west just cherry pick what they like... kinda like what christians do...
[+] 13 users Like xieulong's post
30-12-2015, 04:37 PM
^Interesting post, people think Buddhism means peace, but it sounds almost as bad as some other religions.

Is it true about wasting rice and eating maggots ?
30-12-2015, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2015 05:21 PM by Brian37.)
(30-12-2015 02:57 PM)xieulong Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 07:59 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Sagan is the polite Shakespeare calling all this "a flurry of activity signifying nothing". Hitchens would be considered the verbal only Malcolm X of atheists, but even he was very Jeffersonian, in that sure you had the right to make any bullshit claim you wanted, but he had the right to call it bullshit.

Former Buddhist here. Yah, it's a religion.

As kids, we were taught that the Buddha is more powerful than any god; be good or you'll be tortured in hell by buffalo-head and horse-face demons; for every rice of grain you waste, you have to eat 10 maggots; if you're bad you'll spend many more reincarnation cycles as mangy dogs, or maggots, or any other 'low' animals; if you're good you'll be reincarnated into a rich family, if you'll really really really really good and pious, you may become a buddha yourself with infinite power.

Also buddism differs depends on where you were born... kinda like christianity... huh... buddhists in China will have different beliefs than the ones in Vietnam, Japan, where ever... kinda like christianity...

All powerful deities, check. Commandments, yup. Childhood indoctrination, check. Hell, check. Heaven, check. Supernatural crap, check. Different denominations, you betcha. Child-molesting priests, unfortunately check, we call them 'cobra' monks.

I find that most of the buddhists in the west just cherry pick what they like... kinda like what christians do...

I am having a hard time with some others at another website with some idiots who think that I am anti-religion taking that to mean I want to use force to end all religions. Not at all, I am anti-bad logic. Just like if you had a friend who claimed the Yankees won the Superbowl. I apply my skepticism to all religions, and including atheists too.

30-12-2015, 05:14 PM
The issues is many westerners, at least people I know in the US, often attribute Buddhism with zen & monks. They seem to almost disregard just everyday commonplace people being Buddhists as if it's only the pristine peaceful mediators who are what Buddhism is.

I suppose there is also a grown association of the Buddhism as it is viewed via Japanese culture but that's as well a segmented manner. In the city realm it's pretty much like any other religion across the globe. Ignored and picked & chosen when supposedly relevant to ritual events.

[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
30-12-2015, 05:19 PM
(30-12-2015 04:37 PM)cmr211 Wrote:  ^Interesting post, people think Buddhism means peace, but it sounds almost as bad as some other religions.

Is it true about wasting rice and eating maggots ?

There is no pure religion, there certainly are individuals and groups depending on geography and moment in history that are less violent than others. Our species ability to be cruel or compassionate is in us, not our human invented myths or the religions we invent or the gods we claim.

30-12-2015, 05:28 PM
But am I mistaken in believing that belief in a god or the supernatural is not required in Buddhism? In addition, to my knowledge "the Buddha" (no doubt the air quotes imply all I mean them to) did not, himself, claim to be supernatural, only "awakened."

But I do have a friend who left America some 20 years ago and never came back. She was in the Peace Corps, then moved to Thailand to help Burmese refugees. She was pretty enthralled with Buddhism until she saw how the "Buddhists" in her midst (on the Thai-Burma border) were full of superstition and terribly cruel. In particular, she was disgusted that they looked at impoverished humans and abused animals and said (according to her), "Well, that's their karma."

Religion is all pretty goddamned stupid. Which isn't to say there isn't wisdom in some of it, and I've found some of the (no doubt Westernized) ideas of Buddhism somewhat useful. I am an atheist through and through.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
30-12-2015, 05:33 PM
(30-12-2015 05:28 PM)claywise Wrote:  But am I mistaken in believing that belief in a god or the supernatural is not required in Buddhism? In addition, to my knowledge "the Buddha" (no doubt the air quotes imply all I mean them to) did not, himself, claim to be supernatural, only "awakened."

But I do have a friend who left America some 20 years ago and never came back. She was in the Peace Corps, then moved to Thailand to help Burmese refugees. She was pretty enthralled with Buddhism until she saw how the "Buddhists" in her midst (on the Thai-Burma border) were full of superstition and terribly cruel. In particular, she was disgusted that they looked at impoverished humans and abused animals and said (according to her), "Well, that's their karma."

Religion is all pretty goddamned stupid. Which isn't to say there isn't wisdom in some of it, and I've found some of the (no doubt Westernized) ideas of Buddhism somewhat useful. I am an atheist through and through.

Belief in that type of stuff isn't required. Though that's a segmented portion of all Buddhist beliefs & sects.

I myself have a fondness for zen Buddhist thoughts and concepts to a degree & those in many forms don't have any false deity claim or hardly much of a supernatural element to them. Just as much of it can be purely philosophy & lifestyle views. Though I don't know what percentages range in what ways, these forms of Buddhism aren't the sole ones. I am pretty sure much of the south-east Asia areas are more commonly filed with the type of Buddhism that does worship the figure as a deity.