Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
05-01-2016, 09:49 PM
RE: Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass.
(05-01-2016 07:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 04:55 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  All those extreme examples some people give don't sound like the middle path at all. Ha ha. Big Grin

What I'm hearing is that most Buddhists don't understand the Buddha anymore than most Christians understand the Christ. Which is to say not at all. Clowns to the left of me jokers to the right.

And Im stuck here in the MIDDLE with you! Hug More buddhist than a buddhist FTW! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
05-01-2016, 09:57 PM
(05-01-2016 09:49 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 07:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What I'm hearing is that most Buddhists don't understand the Buddha anymore than most Christians understand the Christ. Which is to say not at all. Clowns to the left of me jokers to the right.

And Im stuck here in the MIDDLE with you! Hug More buddhist than a buddhist FTW! Big Grin

... Buddhists are pussies.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
05-01-2016, 10:15 PM
(05-01-2016 09:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 09:49 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  And Im stuck here in the MIDDLE with you! Hug More buddhist than a buddhist FTW! Big Grin

LOL. "stuck in the MIDDLE with you!" ...........I could hear Girly's music video coming a mile away.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
05-01-2016, 10:17 PM
(05-01-2016 10:15 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 09:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

LOL. "stuck in the MIDDLE with you!" ...........I could hear Girly's music video coming a mile away.

Blush

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
06-01-2016, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2016 09:18 AM by enochian.)
(05-01-2016 07:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 04:55 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  All those extreme examples some people give don't sound like the middle path at all. Ha ha. Big Grin

What I'm hearing is that most Buddhists don't understand the Buddha anymore than most Christians understand the Christ. Which is to say not at all. Clowns to the left of me jokers to the right.

Buddhism is based on the teachings of many historical Buddhas such as Tilopa, Naropa, Maitripa, Virupa etc.
06-01-2016, 09:29 AM
The origional Buddhist ideas rejected superstition and any notion of something outside the self. Those origional ideas were promptly revised as Buddhism traveled and began to include all manner of local ritual and boogeyman belief.

The human species' OCD behavior keeps us hanging onto religion the same way it keeps us addicted to all kinds of stupid shit.

But hey, what else have we got to do? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-01-2016, 09:40 AM
18 years ago instead of telling my ex-wife that I am an atheist now I told her I had converted to Buddhism. "So you believe that Buddha was god?" She asked. "Nobody believes that Buddha was God." I told her. "All the Buddhists I know believe that, what else could they believe?" So I asked her to introduce me to one of her Buddhist friends, and she couldn't of course. Kind of like "Many of my best friends are black."
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
06-01-2016, 10:41 AM
(06-01-2016 09:29 AM)kim Wrote:  The origional Buddhist ideas rejected superstition and any notion of something outside the self. Those origional ideas were promptly revised as Buddhism traveled and began to include all manner of local ritual and boogeyman belief.

The human species' OCD behavior keeps us hanging onto religion the same way it keeps us addicted to all kinds of stupid shit.

But hey, what else have we got to do? Dodgy

Tibetan Buddhism is the closest to Indian Buddhism.

Hence the term Indo-Tibetan Buddhism.
06-01-2016, 01:28 PM
(06-01-2016 09:29 AM)kim Wrote:  But hey, what else have we got to do? Dodgy

[Image: 2867760-5885329690-27060.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
06-01-2016, 04:01 PM
(03-01-2016 12:17 PM)enochian Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 02:57 PM)xieulong Wrote:  Former Buddhist here. Yah, it's a religion.

As kids, we were taught that the Buddha is more powerful than any god; be good or you'll be tortured in hell by buffalo-head and horse-face demons; for every rice of grain you waste, you have to eat 10 maggots; if you're bad you'll spend many more reincarnation cycles as mangy dogs, or maggots, or any other 'low' animals; if you're good you'll be reincarnated into a rich family, if you'll really really really really good and pious, you may become a buddha yourself with infinite power.

Also buddism differs depends on where you were born... kinda like christianity... huh... buddhists in China will have different beliefs than the ones in Vietnam, Japan, where ever... kinda like christianity...

All powerful deities, check. Commandments, yup. Childhood indoctrination, check. Hell, check. Heaven, check. Supernatural crap, check. Different denominations, you betcha. Child-molesting priests, unfortunately check, we call them 'cobra' monks.

I find that most of the buddhists in the west just cherry pick what they like... kinda like what christians do...

But there is no Creator.

So? What's your point?