Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
06-01-2016, 05:39 PM
RE: Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass.
(06-01-2016 10:41 AM)enochian Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 09:29 AM)kim Wrote:  The origional Buddhist ideas rejected superstition and any notion of something outside the self. Those origional ideas were promptly revised as Buddhism traveled and began to include all manner of local ritual and boogeyman belief.

The human species' OCD behavior keeps us hanging onto religion the same way it keeps us addicted to all kinds of stupid shit.

But hey, what else have we got to do? Dodgy

Tibetan Buddhism is the closest to Indian Buddhism.

Hence the term Indo-Tibetan Buddhism.

Yep but Tibet Buddhism is the farthest school of Buddhism from the actual Buddha teachings. So what's your point? And I win !ClapClapFlexFlexYesYes

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
06-01-2016, 06:52 PM
(06-01-2016 05:39 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 10:41 AM)enochian Wrote:  Tibetan Buddhism is the closest to Indian Buddhism.

Yep but Tibet Buddhism is the farthest school of Buddhism from the actual Buddha teachings. So what's your point? And I win !ClapClapFlexFlexYesYes

From the Gautama Buddha yeah... but he is more fond of those others and their future generations of schools of thought that lead to the marvels of meditating into rainbow dishes.

When your complaint is superstition and pseudo-science, these schools of Buddhism are full of it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
06-01-2016, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2016 07:50 PM by enochian.)
(06-01-2016 05:39 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 10:41 AM)enochian Wrote:  Tibetan Buddhism is the closest to Indian Buddhism.

Tibetan Buddhism preserves medieval Indian Buddhism, such as what was taught at Nalanda, Vikramshila, Taxila etc.

Centuries of Indian commentary on the Cakrasamvara Tantra are in Tibetan, for example.

In terms of the teachings, Tibetan Buddhism is by far the closest to Indian Buddhism.
06-01-2016, 10:55 PM
(06-01-2016 07:41 PM)enochian Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 05:39 PM)Leo Wrote:  Yep but Tibet Buddhism is the farthest school of Buddhism from the actual Buddha teachings. So what's your point? And I win !ClapClapFlexFlexYesYes

Tibetan Buddhism preserves medieval Indian Buddhism, such as what was taught at Nalanda, Vikramshila, Taxila etc.

Centuries of Indian commentary on the Cakrasamvara Tantra are in Tibetan, for example.

In terms of the teachings, Tibetan Buddhism is by far the closest to Indian Buddhism.
Tibet Buddhism is basically Hinduism with some Buddhism concepts.

06-01-2016, 11:33 PM
Buddhism and Hinduism are always intertwined.
07-01-2016, 01:58 PM
If there's one thing any religion is good at it's getting into violent arguments about who's closer to some undefinable original intent.

So I guess there's that.

... this is my signature!
07-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Ive learnt a lot of good things from the buddhist religion. It's actually really helped me tremendously in many areas in my life. It's helped me understand and manipulate my feeling and thinking processes, and helped me relate to others and help them. Ive never had to set myself on fire to attain that, though.
07-01-2016, 02:54 PM
(07-01-2016 01:58 PM)cjlr Wrote:  If there's one thing any religion is good at it's getting into violent arguments about who's closer to some undefinable original intent.

So I guess there's that.

Meh I don't care much about Buddhism and any religion. I was pointing out that Tibet Buddhism is the farthest school from the actual teachings of the historical Buddha. Tibet "Buddhism " is basically Bon religion mixed with Hinduism and some Buddhist concepts.

07-01-2016, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 03:16 PM by Leo.)
(06-01-2016 11:33 PM)enochian Wrote:  Buddhism and Hinduism are always intertwined.

Nope. Current Hinduism is a synthesis of varios dharma religions or traditions. The main religion that's existed in the Buddha time was the Vedic brahmanism. It was the earliest form of Hinduism. The early Buddhism was part of the sramanas movement from India and this tradition was apart from the Vedic culture. Sramanas existed in paralel with the Brahmins.

07-01-2016, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 03:13 PM by cjlr.)
(07-01-2016 02:54 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(07-01-2016 01:58 PM)cjlr Wrote:  If there's one thing any religion is good at it's getting into violent arguments about who's closer to some undefinable original intent.

So I guess there's that.

Meh I don't care much about Buddhism and any religion. I was pointing out that Tibet Buddhism is the farthest school from the actual teachings of the historical Buddha. Tibet "Buddhism " is basically Bon religion mixed with Hinduism and Buddhist concepts.

Oh, undoubtedly. Tibetan buddhism is deeply syncretic, to be sure. Much like cleanly separating "pure" Buddhism from (say) Taoism or Shinto in a lot of contexts is next to impossible.

But it's the other hand of that I had in mind; we simply don't know what the "actual teachings of the historical Buddha" were. We have some good guesses based on comparative analysis of surviving texts and near contemporary sources, but...

Really it's more like the partial record of Hellenistic schools of philosophy we have - Indian discourse at the time being at least as developed, and indeed after the 4th century BC they were in contact with each other. That is, we know a decent amount about e.g. Stoicism but very little about Zeno. With as much certainty as we can say that Gautama existed, we can say that doctrinal disagreements ensued almost immediately.
(and where much was reinterpreted later in a new Hindu context, as mediterranean works were in Christian and Islamic contexts, often pretty much erasing the link between some writings and their actual contemporaneous cultural milieu)

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post