Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
07-01-2016, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 03:23 PM by Leo.)
RE: Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass.
(07-01-2016 03:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(07-01-2016 02:54 PM)Leo Wrote:  Meh I don't care much about Buddhism and any religion. I was pointing out that Tibet Buddhism is the farthest school from the actual teachings of the historical Buddha. Tibet "Buddhism " is basically Bon religion mixed with Hinduism and Buddhist concepts.

Oh, undoubtedly. Tibetan buddhism is deeply syncretic, to be sure. Much like cleanly separating "pure" Buddhism from (say) Taoism or Shinto in a lot of contexts is next to impossible.

But it's the other hand of that I had in mind; we simply don't know what the "actual teachings of the historical Buddha" were. We have some good guesses based on comparative analysis of surviving texts and near contemporary sources, but...

Really it's more like the partial record of Hellenistic schools of philosophy we have - Indian discourse at the time being at least as developed, and indeed after the 4th century BC they were in contact with each other. That is, we know a decent amount about e.g. Stoicism but very little about Zeno. With as much certainty as we can say that Gautama existed, we can say that doctrinal disagreements ensued almost immediately.
(and where much was reinterpreted later in a new Hindu context, as mediterranean works were in Christian and Islamic contexts, often pretty much erasing the link between some writings and their actual contemporaneous cultural milieu)

The closest source from the original Buddha teachings are the nikayas and Agamas. But I agree with your post. Most Buddhists never read a single sutra from the nikayas or Agamas. And most Buddhist schools doctrine is based in texts by later Buddhist monks.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2016, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 03:40 PM by enochian.)
Buddhism is not limited to the teachings of one Buddha.

The form of Buddhism in medieval India was Mahayana, with historical Buddhas such as Tilopa, Naropa, Virupa, Maitripa and celestial Buddhas such as Amitabha.
07-01-2016, 03:42 PM
(07-01-2016 02:26 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Ive learnt a lot of good things from the buddhist religion. It's actually really helped me tremendously in many areas in my life. It's helped me understand and manipulate my feeling and thinking processes, and helped me relate to others and help them. Ive never had to set myself on fire to attain that, though.

Simply recognize the conceptualizing mind.
07-01-2016, 03:50 PM
(07-01-2016 02:54 PM)Leo Wrote:  Meh I don't care much about Buddhism and any religion. I was pointing out that Tibet Buddhism is the farthest school from the actual teachings of the historical Buddha. Tibet "Buddhism " is basically Bon religion mixed with Hinduism and some Buddhist concepts.

This is just factually incorrect. Bon is a late Tibetan Buddhist school that arises mostly in the 14th century.
07-01-2016, 10:05 PM
(07-01-2016 03:42 PM)enochian Wrote:  
(07-01-2016 02:26 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Ive learnt a lot of good things from the buddhist religion. It's actually really helped me tremendously in many areas in my life. It's helped me understand and manipulate my feeling and thinking processes, and helped me relate to others and help them. Ive never had to set myself on fire to attain that, though.

Simply recognize the conceptualizing mind.

Simply recognize that you are unsolicitedly advising me to simply recognize the conceptualizing mind. Tongue
10-01-2016, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2016 07:42 AM by Leo.)
(07-01-2016 03:34 PM)enochian Wrote:  Buddhism is not limited to the teachings of one Buddha.

The form of Buddhism in medieval India was Mahayana, with historical Buddhas such as Tilopa, Naropa, Virupa, Maitripa and celestial Buddhas such as Amitabha.

I think this bullshit is one of the biggest problems with all religions. Christianity is based mainly by the teachings of many people other than Jesus. The charlatan Paul was the main founder of Christianity but other church "fathers " added more bullshit to Christianity. Most Buddhist schools are based in the teachings of many monks other than the Buddha. In many cases contrary to the original Buddha teachings. You can still find the original Buddha teachings in the nikayas. Current Buddhism is part of this bullshit. That's why Buddhism is bullshit like all religions.

10-01-2016, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2016 12:23 PM by enochian.)
(10-01-2016 07:30 AM)Leo Wrote:  
(07-01-2016 03:34 PM)enochian Wrote:  Buddhism is not limited to the teachings of one Buddha.

I think this bullshit is one of the biggest problems with all religions. Christianity is based mainly by the teachings of many people other than Jesus. The charlatan Paul was the main founder of Christianity but other church "fathers " added more bullshit to Christianity. Most Buddhist schools are based in the teachings of many monks other than the Buddha. In many cases contrary to the original Buddha teachings. You can still find the original Buddha teachings in the nikayas. Current Buddhism is part of this bullshit. That's why Buddhism is bullshit like all religions.

You jam your colonial Christian paradigm onto eastern religions, but it doesn't make sense.

There is only one Jesus.

There are many historical Buddhas including Shakyamuni, Tilopa, Naropa, Maitripa and Virupa.
10-01-2016, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2016 05:25 PM by Leo.)
(10-01-2016 12:12 PM)enochian Wrote:  
(10-01-2016 07:30 AM)Leo Wrote:  I think this bullshit is one of the biggest problems with all religions. Christianity is based mainly by the teachings of many people other than Jesus. The charlatan Paul was the main founder of Christianity but other church "fathers " added more bullshit to Christianity. Most Buddhist schools are based in the teachings of many monks other than the Buddha. In many cases contrary to the original Buddha teachings. You can still find the original Buddha teachings in the nikayas. Current Buddhism is part of this bullshit. That's why Buddhism is bullshit like all religions.

You jam your colonial Christian paradigm onto eastern religions, but it doesn't make sense.

There is only one Jesus.

There are many historical Buddhas including Shakyamuni, Tilopa, Naropa, Maitripa and Virupa.
There isn't any evidence of Buddhism being true at all but here we go.
There is only one Buddha in this era and is the Buddha Shakyamuni. According to the original teachings there is only one Buddha in a same era. The next Buddha is maitreya and will appear when the Shakyamuni teachings are long forgotten. Many Buddhas and bodhisattvas arising at the same time or age isn't in the original Buddha teachings. Yep I'm feeding the troll.Laugh out load Claiming to be a follower of Jesus but at the same time believing in all the made up teachings by many people that never met Jesus is nonsense. Claiming to be a follower of the Buddha and at the same time believing in all later monks wild interpretations of the Buddha teachings is also nonsense.

10-01-2016, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2016 01:30 PM by enochian.)
Shakyamuni is the only Supreme Nirmanakaya of this era, but not the only Buddha.

You have no understanding of Buddhism or Indian history.
10-01-2016, 01:50 PM
(10-01-2016 01:20 PM)enochian Wrote:  Shakyamuni is the only Supreme Nirmanakaya of this era, but not the only Buddha.

You have no understanding of Buddhism or Indian history.

You really haven't a clue about Buddhism and the Buddha teachings. Do you ever studied the agamas and nikayas sutras ?