Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
11-01-2016, 11:13 AM
RE: Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass.
(11-01-2016 11:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-01-2016 10:56 PM)xieulong Wrote:  Buddhism is bullshit, just like any other religions. I do not see a problem with calling bullshit, bullshit.

Zazen, on the other hand, I find quite useful. Especially the koans.

Interestingly, similar traditions existed at various times within Christianity as well, in Orthodox and in particular Coptic churches. After all, it's not like cenobitic monasticism was all that different anywhere in the world in the fourth century, and hesychasm is just a fancy word for 'meditation'.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2016, 11:06 PM
RE: Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass.
I was in Southeast Asia two years ago. E 'charge' that Buddhism is loaded with as much superstitious claptrap as many other religions is accurate. They worship the statues of the Buddha, they revere him, etc. They get offended if you, who do not share their reverence, do not show adequate 'respect'. It is ritualized, it is all very silly.

That said, there's an enormous gulf between the Eastern religions and those that are the offspring of the Abrahamic religions. And that difference is that unlike Christians and Muslims, Buddhists are not coming to make you "see the light" or worship their deity.

Personally, I have nothing against religion - provided religion doesn't constantly come knocking on my door, preventing me from learning evolutionary science, trying to insinuate itself into society and become law. Those nonsensical beliefs often work for people; who am I to disabuse them of those beliefs?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply