Another "responsible" gun owner.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2014, 07:42 AM
Another "responsible" gun owner.
Realistic looking BB guns, baseball players shooting their fingers off, and now this. Is anyone else besides me tired of the NRA and gun makers hiding behind the cliche "responsible" gun owner.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/woman...rotection/

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2014, 09:04 AM
RE: Another "responsible" gun owner.
(24-11-2014 07:42 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Realistic looking BB guns, baseball players shooting their fingers off, and now this. Is anyone else besides me tired of the NRA and gun makers hiding behind the cliche "responsible" gun owner.

Broken link - story here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-11-2014, 09:05 AM
(24-11-2014 09:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 07:42 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Realistic looking BB guns, baseball players shooting their fingers off, and now this. Is anyone else besides me tired of the NRA and gun makers hiding behind the cliche "responsible" gun owner.

Broken link - story here.

She was not a responsible gun owner, so there's that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-11-2014, 09:15 AM

"The 33-year-old man, whose name was not released, said Campbell waved the gun around and joked that the couple was ready for possible violence related to the pending grand jury decision in the death of Michael Brown."

She doesn't sound very responsible to me!

I was taught not to point the gun at anything unless I planned on shooting it. Consequently, I haven't shot anything I didn't mean to shoot. It's an effective system... when you're responsible enough to employ it. Drinking Beverage

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like guitar_nut's post
24-11-2014, 09:24 AM
I am tired of the NRA and gun makers scaring the crap out of the public to make money. This is about MONEY, not legal vs illegal. ALL marketing, no matter the product, and even religion uses marketing. You market two ways, by using fear, or playing off of vanity. Gun makers are no different than any other business. The goal of the CEO is to please their shareholders by keeping or expanding the market. They enjoy all the benefits of the profits but do not care about the volume of guns they make or where those guns end up.

It is the same corporate marketing that allows coal ash spills in NC, and the gulf oil spill. It is simply the corporate scare tactic to maintain control to keep profits up. It is the same fear religion uses in "watch out for the other guy" and the same vanity of "you are chosen and have the right".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
24-11-2014, 10:17 AM
(24-11-2014 09:24 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I am tired of the NRA and gun makers scaring the crap out of the public to make money. This is about MONEY, not legal vs illegal. ALL marketing, no matter the product, and even religion uses marketing. You market two ways, by using fear, or playing off of vanity. Gun makers are no different than any other business. The goal of the CEO is to please their shareholders by keeping or expanding the market. They enjoy all the benefits of the profits but do not care about the volume of guns they make or where those guns end up.

It is the same corporate marketing that allows coal ash spills in NC, and the gulf oil spill. It is simply the corporate scare tactic to maintain control to keep profits up. It is the same fear religion uses in "watch out for the other guy" and the same vanity of "you are chosen and have the right".

Your initial comment (and thread title) are about the "responsible gun owner" label. There was nothing responsible about this woman's actions. You should start a separate thread called "Fear-based Marketing" if that's your actual point you want to argue. The title of this thread is otherwise misleading and certainly not defensible based on this woman's actions.

Having worked in advertising, I can tell you that there are more than two ways to market to an audience. Nobody buys Pop Tarts because they're afraid... or vain. Tongue

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 5 users Like guitar_nut's post
27-11-2014, 02:16 AM
Oh noes, a small percentage of a group of hundreds of millions turned out to be idiots! (and not even slightly responsible) MUST BAN EVERYTHING!

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
28-11-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure what your stance on guns is, but judging by your tone I'd say anti-gun. A gun ban person.

I myself own several guns, a pistol, shotgun, and an AR-15. I do practice good gun safety by keeping my finger off the trigger, not pointing at anything I don't intend to shoot, I keep track of where my gun is at all times, and I treat it as if it's loaded at all times. I don't keep my guns loaded when in storage because I'm not a paranoid lunatic.

There are quite a few morons out there who claim to practice gun safety, but they really don't.

We hear about gun idiots all the time, but that's just a tiny fraction of all the gun owners out there. The vast majority are actually safe and responsible with their guns. Wanting to ban all guns just because some idiot accidentally hurt themselves/others or even went on a rampage doesn't mean all gun owners are guilty.

To illustrate how silly that mentality is, all cars should be banned because there are a few idiots who accidentally hurt themselves/others and sometimes even go on an anger fueled vehicle rampage, deliberately hitting as many people as possible. Based on your anti-gun mentality and applying it to cars, you can see just how silly it is.
[+] 1 user Likes jojorumbles's post
29-11-2014, 12:14 PM
More people like her should buy guns. Let Darwin sort 'em out.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus