Another school shooting.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2015, 06:28 PM
RE: Another school shooting.
(02-10-2015 06:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 06:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Way back in college, I remember reading the deadliest time for city dwellers was during the 1920s -- as far as mass killings were concerned.

I know gun violence was said to have dropped in the early 2000s.

I don't think it's media coverage of the events that has changed...they kinda deserve attention -- especially schools because they're supposed to be safe places (rather like churches or libraries). So I doubt it's not like they didn't happen but it's possible if you might have missed the story years ago...the news was an hour long...that's why we also had morning and evening newspapers.

I really think we do have a mental health crisis. So many managed care groups or HMOs make people jump through hoops....

I never used to agree with metal detectors in schools...but I do now...but they're only effective if used at every possible entrance or exit.

Media coverage didn't used to be 24/7. That's why I wonder if it isn't drilled into our consciousness more than it was back when the news was on a couple times a day and the stories weren't played over and over unless they were local or a huge national or global story.

Seems that things happened back in the day and you read about it or heard it on the news and sometimes (of it wasn't local) you didn't hear any more about it.

I absolutely agree with the mental health crisis.

The county I live in just lost 60% of mental health funding.

http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/Local...LX_News_10

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2015, 06:31 PM
(02-10-2015 05:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Does anyone have any data on mass shootings that happened in the past...like a few decades ago? I am wondering if there is a huge increase in actual numbers or if it seems that way due to instant and intense news coverage and the spread of info.

It just seems like these things didn't happen when I was in school, and it wasn't because of a lack of means.

Are people crazier now? Is it the lack of mental health care? Are people just not paying attention to changing behavior in people around them?

I must say that I agree with metal detectors at schools.
Unfortunately, I think the advent of the internet, especially social media, instantaneous news, and online personas has made people take a slight turn for the worse. I feel people are more detached and more self-absorbed now that it seems presence is established on the web. The internet also gives people a place to soapbox, and find other who agree with their philosophies, now matter how wild they are.

Blegh, I can't word this well right now. But I think the internet enables these things in a way that just wasn't in the past. I mean, now we know that if we do something ridiculous enough, we will be *known* by millions of people within the day.

*sigh* no matter how I try to put it I can't make what I'm saying clear, so I'll give up for now. haha.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-10-2015, 06:35 PM
(02-10-2015 06:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 06:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Way back in college, I remember reading the deadliest time for city dwellers was during the 1920s -- as far as mass killings were concerned.

I know gun violence was said to have dropped in the early 2000s.

I don't think it's media coverage of the events that has changed...they kinda deserve attention -- especially schools because they're supposed to be safe places (rather like churches or libraries). So I doubt it's not like they didn't happen but it's possible if you might have missed the story years ago...the news was an hour long...that's why we also had morning and evening newspapers.

I really think we do have a mental health crisis. So many managed care groups or HMOs make people jump through hoops....

I never used to agree with metal detectors in schools...but I do now...but they're only effective if used at every possible entrance or exit.

Media coverage didn't used to be 24/7. That's why I wonder if it isn't drilled into our consciousness more than it was back when the news was on a couple times a day and the stories weren't played over and over unless they were local or a huge national or global story.

Seems that things happened back in the day and you read about it or heard it on the news and sometimes (of it wasn't local) you didn't hear any more about it.

I think we're thinking the same way. I know, when I was a little kid the Zodiac killer was huge news, but also local. The Patty Hurst kidnapping was huge too...but when the media nationally dropped off we were still getting everything. (of course her daddy owned the newspapers). It was local...very local when she helped rob the bank.

When something happened somewhere else, we'd hear about it, but there was this detactchment to it. It was "wow that sucks, bummer" then move on. I imagine it happened, but I dunno, if they were cluster events...Maybe you'd see a blurb in the paper...maybe not...maybe Time magazine would show a picture.

But whatever it wasn't in our face taking over the news the way it seems to happen today.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-10-2015, 06:50 PM
(02-10-2015 06:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 06:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Media coverage didn't used to be 24/7. That's why I wonder if it isn't drilled into our consciousness more than it was back when the news was on a couple times a day and the stories weren't played over and over unless they were local or a huge national or global story.

I think we're thinking the same way. I know, when I was a little kid the Zodiac killer was huge news, but also local. The Patty Hurst kidnapping was huge too...but when the media nationally dropped off we were still getting everything. (of course her daddy owned the newspapers). It was local...very local when she helped rob the bank.

When something happened somewhere else, we'd hear about it, but there was this detactchment to it. It was "wow that sucks, bummer" then move on. I imagine it happened, but I dunno, if they were cluster events...Maybe you'd see a blurb in the paper...maybe not...maybe Time magazine would show a picture.

But whatever it wasn't in our face taking over the news the way it seems to happen today.

Peeps weren't on social media constantly back then neither.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2015, 06:57 PM
(02-10-2015 06:50 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 06:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think we're thinking the same way. I know, when I was a little kid the Zodiac killer was huge news, but also local. The Patty Hurst kidnapping was huge too...but when the media nationally dropped off we were still getting everything. (of course her daddy owned the newspapers). It was local...very local when she helped rob the bank.

Peeps weren't on social media constantly back then neither.

Hell we didn't have computers and when we had to research shit, we had to go through microfiche in that dark cobwebby part of the library.

I love hearing my kid bitch about doing research for a paper for school....it's soooo much work today. Laughat

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-10-2015, 07:34 PM
(02-10-2015 05:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Does anyone have any data on mass shootings that happened in the past...like a few decades ago? I am wondering if there is a huge increase in actual numbers or if it seems that way due to instant and intense news coverage and the spread of info.

It just seems like these things didn't happen when I was in school, and it wasn't because of a lack of means.

Are people crazier now? Is it the lack of mental health care? Are people just not paying attention to changing behavior in people around them?

I must say that I agree with metal detectors at schools.

Numbers are going up. Wikipedia lists 6 US school/workplace/rampage killings in the 60s. 14 in the 70s, 21 in the 80s, 23 in the 90s, 26 in the 00, and 16 so far in the 10s.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
02-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Well, that didn't take long. Fuck westboro.
http://heavy.com/news/2015/10/umpqua-ros...st-church/

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
03-10-2015, 02:05 AM
(02-10-2015 06:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 06:50 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Peeps weren't on social media constantly back then neither.

Hell we didn't have computers and when we had to research shit, we had to go through microfiche in that dark cobwebby part of the library.

I love hearing my kid bitch about doing research for a paper for school....it's soooo much work today. Laughat

Well my point was that it's not so much in our face so much as we put our faces into it. Undecided

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2015, 09:56 AM
My Canadian brother sent me this; 994 mass shootings in 1,004 days.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-in...n-violence

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-10-2015, 10:23 AM
(03-10-2015 09:56 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My Canadian brother sent me this; 994 mass shootings in 1,004 days.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-in...n-violence

Aye. 99% of those are gang related.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]