Another school shooting.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 10:26 AM
RE: Another school shooting.
(03-10-2015 10:23 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 09:56 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My Canadian brother sent me this; 994 mass shootings in 1,004 days.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-in...n-violence

Aye. 99% of those are gang related.

I looked but didn't see any distinction on the chart. What am I missing?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2015, 10:35 AM
(03-10-2015 10:26 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 10:23 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Aye. 99% of those are gang related.

I looked but didn't see any distinction on the chart. What am I missing?
Of course you didn't, because they purposely didn't distinguish the two. When people think of "mass shooting" we aren't looking for statistics where gangs are shooting each other up over drug territory. We think of lunatic walks into a school, or movie theater, or a Starbucks while you're ordering your pumpkin spice latte and lights the place up. By adding the gang violence to the equation, they obviously have an agenda. Remove the gang/drug violence and you have a whole new understanding of mass shootings. (Please don't take this to mean I take the gang violence less serious, but that's an entirely different problem in America)

http://crimeresearch.org/2015/06/compari...nd-europe/

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
03-10-2015, 10:44 AM
The FBI counts stats of Mass Shootings as 4 dead in the same intended incident.

In the US one happens every 2 weeks. Yes a whole lot of them are gang related.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-10-2015, 10:58 AM
(03-10-2015 10:35 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 10:26 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I looked but didn't see any distinction on the chart. What am I missing?
Of course you didn't, because they purposely didn't distinguish the two. When people think of "mass shooting" we aren't looking for statistics where gangs are shooting each other up over drug territory. We think of lunatic walks into a school, or movie theater, or a Starbucks while you're ordering your pumpkin spice latte and lights the place up. By adding the gang violence to the equation, they obviously have an agenda. Remove the gang/drug violence and you have a whole new understanding of mass shootings. (Please don't take this to mean I take the gang violence less serious, but that's an entirely different problem in America)

That was an interesting article but it still doesn't distinguish gang-related mass shootings from others. Surely someone is keeping track of that distinction. And yes, I did just call you Shirley.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-10-2015, 10:59 AM
(03-10-2015 10:44 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The FBI counts stats of Mass Shootings as 4 dead in the same intended incident.

I thought it was 4 or more dead or injured. No?

03-10-2015, 11:11 AM
The odds of dying by gunshot in the USA, including self-inflicted suicide, in any given year are 1 in 514,000. The odds of getting killed while riding your bicycle are 1 in 100,000. This comes from "The Economist" magazine and I'm sorry, I don't have a link or the time to look it up. I'm going to get on my bike and ride over to my LGS [local gun shop]. [I really don't ride a bike. Too dangerous. Big Grin ]
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
03-10-2015, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 11:29 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(03-10-2015 10:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 10:35 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Of course you didn't, because they purposely didn't distinguish the two. When people think of "mass shooting" we aren't looking for statistics where gangs are shooting each other up over drug territory. We think of lunatic walks into a school, or movie theater, or a Starbucks while you're ordering your pumpkin spice latte and lights the place up. By adding the gang violence to the equation, they obviously have an agenda. Remove the gang/drug violence and you have a whole new understanding of mass shootings. (Please don't take this to mean I take the gang violence less serious, but that's an entirely different problem in America)

That was an interesting article but it still doesn't distinguish gang-related mass shootings from others. Surely someone is keeping track of that distinction. And yes, I did just call you Shirley.

There's a link in that article to an FBI pamphlet that uses a specific definition of "active shooter." It removes all drug/gang activity from the equation. The FBI came to the conclusion there were160 active shooter events in 13 years of the study (2000-2013) Huge difference than the "994 mass shootings in 1004 days" from the article posted.

Additionally, the stats show the U.S. really isn't any more prone to major mass shootings or terrorist events than any other country. If they don't have guns, the crazies just make bombs. Or stab people like in China.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
03-10-2015, 11:21 AM
The Times has some pretty complete info on this guy.

Just to get past this first thought...
A rhetorical question to ponder - go to another thread if you need to respond to it...
How does someone who graduated from a private school for special needs people, who's mother says he has mental issues, who was discharged from the army before completing basic training ... become a gun owner & collector?

It seems this is what happens when all the uncomfortable things in life come together in one socially, mentally ignored and very illequipped guy. It's almost proof that if one slips through the cracks, many suffer.

Goddamnmutherfuckingfuck- shit like this is going to give people like me a rough time, for a while. Until quickly forgotten again. Dodgy

News to the world: I am alone because I like it that way and I am really fucking happy about it. When I don't want to be alone, I have a friend or two I can go hang with. I am even content to sit alone in a crowd and just people-watch.

So what does one do? Consider

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
03-10-2015, 11:39 AM
(03-10-2015 11:21 AM)kim Wrote:  The Times has some pretty complete info on this guy.

Just to get past this first thought...
A rhetorical question to ponder - go to another thread if you need to respond to it...
How does someone who graduated from a private school for special needs people, who's mother says he has mental issues, who was discharged from the army before completing basic training ... become a gun owner & collector?

It seems this is what happens when all the uncomfortable things in life come together in one socially, mentally ignored and very illequipped guy. It's almost proof that if one slips through the cracks, many suffer.

Goddamnmutherfuckingfuck- shit like this is going to give people like me a rough time, for a while. Until quickly forgotten again. Dodgy

News to the world: I am alone because I like it that way and I am really fucking happy about it. When I don't want to be alone, I have a friend or two I can go hang with. I am even content to sit alone in a crowd and just people-watch.

So what does one do? Consider

To respond to your rhetorical question, honestly I don't know. I know I'd never allow it or encourage it with my "special needs" kid to have a gun.

Yes, we really do need a serious mental health discussion in this country.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-10-2015, 11:44 AM
(03-10-2015 11:19 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  There's a link in that article to an FBI pamphlet that uses a specific definition of "active shooter." It removes all drug/gang activity from the equation. The FBI came to the conclusion there were160 active shooter events in 13 years of the study (2000-2013) Huge difference than the "994 mass shootings in 1004 days" from the article posted.

Ah yes. I do get annual training on how to respond to an active shooter in my workplace. And they typically involve batshit insane psychopaths.