Another school shooting.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 12:31 PM
RE: Another school shooting.
(03-10-2015 11:44 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 11:19 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  There's a link in that article to an FBI pamphlet that uses a specific definition of "active shooter." It removes all drug/gang activity from the equation. The FBI came to the conclusion there were160 active shooter events in 13 years of the study (2000-2013) Huge difference than the "994 mass shootings in 1004 days" from the article posted.

Ah yes. I do get annual training on how to respond to an active shooter in my workplace. And they typically involve batshit insane psychopaths.

Just do as I would do. Hope you're lucky enough to not be the first causality, then shoot back.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
03-10-2015, 12:37 PM
We need better mental health screening. It should be part of every annual checkup, part of school entrance exams, part of life. It needs to be less stigmatized. Doctors examine the heart, lungs, stomach, genitals....everything except the brain and it is probably the most important organ we have.

There also needs to be better medications for depression and other mental illnesses. Hopefully the BRAIN Initiative will eventually result in better understanding of mental illnesses and other disorders and perhaps better medications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRAIN_Initiative

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
03-10-2015, 02:48 PM
(02-10-2015 05:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Does anyone have any data on mass shootings that happened in the past...like a few decades ago? I am wondering if there is a huge increase in actual numbers or if it seems that way due to instant and intense news coverage and the spread of info.

It just seems like these things didn't happen when I was in school, and it wasn't because of a lack of means.

Are people crazier now? Is it the lack of mental health care? Are people just not paying attention to changing behavior in people around them?

I must say that I agree with metal detectors at schools.

I think the turning point, if there was one, came in the 80s, when the American institutional system was gutted.

But I don't have the data at hand to answer your question about frequency. I do remember reading about a bombing in Bath, Maine which killed 20 or so, and some school shootings in the 19th century, but don't know about frequency.
05-10-2015, 02:20 PM
This shit is un-fucking-believable. It just happens so much- at least 1 a week in the US.

Angry
05-10-2015, 02:23 PM
(05-10-2015 02:20 PM)kineo Wrote:  This shit is un-fucking-believable. It just happens so much- at least 1 a week in the US.

Angry

Ain't driving, man.

You drive? I don't. Tongue

(I'm in the laugh lest you cry camp. )

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-10-2015, 03:48 PM
(05-10-2015 02:20 PM)kineo Wrote:  This shit is un-fucking-believable. It just happens so much- at least 1 a week in the US.

Angry
Not really. The FBI calculated 160 in 13 years between 2000-2013. They call this an "active shooter event."

Doesn't make it any less serious though. It's definitely a problem.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
05-10-2015, 05:15 PM
It's really nothing new.... I posted a bit here that showed the elementary school shootings -- that go back to the 1790's......

Google it.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-10-2015, 04:47 PM
And here we go again with us liberals trying to smack some sense into the gun loving right wing and they accuse of of being stupid and we do so in return and we go back and forth until nothing happens and it just keeps happening over and over again.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
06-10-2015, 04:56 PM
(06-10-2015 04:47 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  And here we go again with us liberals trying to smack some sense into the gun loving right wing and they accuse of of being stupid and we do so in return and we go back and forth until nothing happens and it just keeps happening over and over again.

Politics are THE BESTSmartass

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-10-2015, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 05:01 PM by GirlyMan.)

That's about right. Not all of these resulted in fatality or injuries. School shootings is defined here as "anytime a firearm is discharged inside a school building or on a school campus or grounds, as documented by the press and confirmed through further inquiries with law enforcement. Incidents in which guns were brought into schools but not fired, or were fired off school grounds after having been possessed in schools, are not included."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post