Another story idea + a question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2011, 02:51 AM
RE: Another story idea + a question
This idea in ancient Greece is OK, but I like the modern experiment gone wrong more. That way you can put your character in the time of dinosaurs or Ice Age. He doesn't need a "machine", a portal or a worm-hole is sufficient enough. He travels in time like the Terminator, without clothes or any equipment and instead of getting in some desired timeline, he ends up far, far back in the past. As some "minor" error occurs, he is in a constant time-shift, or temporal-flux, so he does not get old, sick or hurt. He can even have some strange glow or mist around him, from time to time, or his skin can feel different because of his state. In this story you can follow whole human history and introduce you character to all sorts of famous events, people and discoveries. Eventually he will come to ancient Greece and have dealings with alchemists, maybe he can even trigger the first alchemy experiment, trying to "save" himself, so he tries to "fix" his problem with some of the famous historical alchemists.... That way a lot of old inventions can be made as a way of trying to fix him, or help him, or even replicate his effect, but instead of doing that, we get all sorts of new inventions and theories...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2011, 12:56 AM
(14-10-2011 02:51 AM)Filox Wrote:  This idea in ancient Greece is OK, but I like the modern experiment gone wrong more. That way you can put your character in the time of dinosaurs or Ice Age. He doesn't need a "machine", a portal or a worm-hole is sufficient enough. He travels in time like the Terminator, without clothes or any equipment and instead of getting in some desired timeline, he ends up far, far back in the past. As some "minor" error occurs, he is in a constant time-shift, or temporal-flux, so he does not get old, sick or hurt. He can even have some strange glow or mist around him, from time to time, or his skin can feel different because of his state. In this story you can follow whole human history and introduce you character to all sorts of famous events, people and discoveries. Eventually he will come to ancient Greece and have dealings with alchemists, maybe he can even trigger the first alchemy experiment, trying to "save" himself, so he tries to "fix" his problem with some of the famous historical alchemists.... That way a lot of old inventions can be made as a way of trying to fix him, or help him, or even replicate his effect, but instead of doing that, we get all sorts of new inventions and theories...

I gave up on the ancient Greece/Egypt portion of the story precisely because it was so-so. I found the evolution and time travel stuff to be far more interesting.

Regarding his skin, I was thinking that his touch would be extremely cold since he is not 100% in the timeline. It's because his body fluctuates between timelines ultra fast, leaving a very brief vacuum.

The sky is the limit when it comes to the history stuff. What's funny is that Newton was found to have high levels of mercury in his system after his death. Mercury is an ingredient featured in the immortal elixirs of several cultures. It seems Mr. Newton was trying to extend his years through alchemical experimentation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Great, we have agreed upon everything, now hit the books, go and write something, I want to read this story.

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
02-11-2011, 08:07 PM
I just watched the film The Man From Earth (2007). I heard about it from the entertainment section of the forum. The film is about a group of university professors visiting their friend, a tenured history professor, who is about to move away. They press him with questions until he reveals that he is really a 14,000 year old man. Each professor is an expert in biology, art, archeology and psychology, so they all throw in their own ideas about how it could or could not be possible. The film itself is one of the best I have ever seen, but what really intrigued me was how the main character's immortal life was the direct opposite of my character. He mentions that he only learned about his origins and the places that he lived (at least in pre-history) through the study of history in a modern setting. My character, however, has some foresight about the world around him.

Watching the film got my creative juices flowing. I highly recommend it. Whatever you do, DON'T READ THE SYNOPSIS BEFORE SEEING THE MOVIE. It will give away key plot details.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2011, 02:27 AM
Oh, thanx, downloading...

-Hunter S. Thompson