Another story of excessive police force against unarmed African American kids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2015, 10:46 AM
RE: Another story of excessive police force against unarmed African American kids
(12-06-2015 10:26 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  He stepped down and most likely will never be hired by another department.

Perhaps not as a police, but there's no shortage of work for him in the private sector. That is, of course, assuming he is actually as aggressive as everyone seems to assume he is. If that's the case, he can make four or five times the pay a cop makes just to stand and and look scary in any one of several hundred hotspots throughout the world. I abandoned law enforcement in about 8 minutes once I figured that out.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2015, 11:35 AM
RE: Another story of excessive police force against unarmed African American kids
(12-06-2015 10:41 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 10:01 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I just want cops held to the same standard as me. If I were threatening unarmed kids using a firearm, at a pool party (albeit they are being rowdy, etc)...I'd be in jail. They actually should be held to a higher standard, but since that doesn't seem likely...at least the SAME standard would be a nice switch.

They should be required to follow a standard, but the purpose of law enforcement makes it impossible for that standard to be the same. As regular citizens, we are allowed to use violence only in response to violence initiated by someone else. But the sole purpose of police is to confront people on our behalf in the enforcement of infractions that we as a society have deemed to be illegal. If everyone cooperates in said confrontation, great. But if the police are denied the authority to choose escalation as an option in the event that they don't cooperate, then the laws hold no meaning. They're just words on a piece of paper. If, for example, they go to give someone a citation for jaywalking and that person's response is "Fuck you, I'll do what I want," escalation has to occur. If that option is denied, as it is in the case of a regular citizen, then jaywalking shouldn't be illegal. Unenforceable laws serve only to undermine the legal system as a whole. The same goes for trespassing. We might not have the option to use force to remove a non-violent person from somewhere they're not suppose to be, but law enforcement must have that option in order to serve it's purpose.

Whether or not that was the case with this particular girl, I don't know. We only have bits and pieces of the whole story. Based on what limited information we have, I would venture to guess that he probably was out of line. But as a general rule, the trend of every incident of force that surfaces on video resulting in a witch hunt for the officer(s) involved before anyone really has any idea what went down is a big problem.

If the rate of false positives begins to exceed the rate of false negatives then the system has failed.

I am glad that you'll give as much as a "maybe" to "assaulting innocent teenagers hanging out at a pool" being out of line.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply