Another university shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Another university shooting
I can only say.....WTF...here we go again. More copy cats possibly? Anger boiling up in a parking lot?? Did someone steel your space?? Details are sparse But really, come on, stop shooting people!! Huh That doesn't exactly make the world a better place Sad

Northern Arizona University shooting

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2015, 07:35 AM
RE: Another university shooting
It was a shooting in an area around the university at like 1 in the morning. It wasn't a university shooting.

Sensationalized reporting at its best.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-10-2015, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 09:16 AM by Reducetarian.)
Yep, this kind of thing is all too common in the U.S., regardless of how much the media plays it up or down. No

Intellectually, I realize that the probability of personal involvement in one of these incidents is very remote, but the emotional/gut feeling that the potential for gun violence provokes is the number one reason my daughter will not be applying to a U.S. school for her PhD.

A five-day visit to Washington D.C. was enough to spook her. While visiting the city, (she was doing research at the National Archives) we all felt a palpable undercurrent of tension that we have never experienced in Europe or Canada. Was it due to racial tension, or class disparity, or potential gun violence, or the political climate in Washington? I don't know. But my husband and my daughter and I all felt it. And it was not pleasant. At all.

I know you can't generalize about the US of A; the social and cultural differences between individual states in the US can be greater than that between nation states in Europe or even Asia. Even so, I wonder if many Americans even realize what a burden they are carrying in having to worry about this kind of incident happening to them or a loved one ...
From my "furriner" perspective, it seems way too high a price to pay for the "freedom" (?) to overthrow your government.
YMMV

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
09-10-2015, 08:34 AM
(09-10-2015 07:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It was a shooting in an area around the university at like 1 in the morning. It wasn't a university shooting.

Quote:FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — An overnight confrontation between two groups of students escalated into gunfire Friday when a freshman at Northern Arizona University killed one person and three others, authorities said Friday.
How is it "not a university shooting"?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
09-10-2015, 08:35 AM
(09-10-2015 08:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 07:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It was a shooting in an area around the university at like 1 in the morning. It wasn't a university shooting.

Quote:FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — An overnight confrontation between two groups of students escalated into gunfire Friday when a freshman at Northern Arizona University killed one person and three others, authorities said Friday.
How is it "not a university shooting"?

Oh come on. Not all shootings at universities where people die are school shootings. Some are just shootings at schools(?) [/sarcasmfont]

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
09-10-2015, 08:46 AM
(09-10-2015 08:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 08:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  How is it "not a university shooting"?

Oh come on. Not all shootings at universities where people die are school shootings. Some are just shootings at schools(?) [/sarcasmfont]

It happened on the university premises, yes, but it also happened in the living quarters around the university.

This is no different than a shooting happening in the housing surrounding LSU or Tulane. This is hardly a "University Shooting"; moreover, it was in the early AM. It was likely an argument between two drunk students... not some crazed gunman shooting up classrooms while class was in session.

But it did happen in a "gun free zone", so the gun laws are obviously working. Obviously.

This is no different than any other domestic shooting. It just happens to be in the vicinity of the uni so it's sensationalized as "Another University Shooting".

Fact checking is tough.

09-10-2015, 08:51 AM
So now the def of a university shooting is that it must take place during specified hours and involve a crazed attacker? WTF KC?

I agree, it doesn't follow the classic media-created progression of "Killer decides to kill, meticulously plots, acquires weaponry, kills for maximum scare factor, then shoots himself" but I can't understand *why* the fuck you take issue with calling it a university shooting.

As of now we will refer to these things as "tertiary education firearms homicide incidents" Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
09-10-2015, 08:56 AM
(09-10-2015 08:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  So now the def of a university shooting is that it must take place during specified hours and involve a crazed attacker? WTF KC?

I agree, it doesn't follow the classic media-created progression of "Killer decides to kill, meticulously plots, acquires weaponry, kills for maximum scare factor, then shoots himself" but I can't understand *why* the fuck you take issue with calling it a university shooting.

As of now we will refer to these things as "tertiary education firearms homicide incidents" Rolleyes

The arbitrary distinction allows for criticism of the coverage and not the circumstances that lead to the shooting.

Smoke and mirrors. "The issue here isn't that there was a shooting at a school, it is the way the media has portrayed it."

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
09-10-2015, 08:56 AM
(09-10-2015 08:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  So now the def of a university shooting is that it must take place during specified hours and involve a crazed attacker? WTF KC?

The same reason why if there is a shooting in housing near a mall we don't call it a "mall shooting" or housing near a super market we don't call it a "super market shooting."

Yes, the shootings happened near the dorms of the uni, but this isn't a "school shooting". It's a domestic crime that happened on the uni's premises. It's not a university shooting.

09-10-2015, 08:59 AM
I would have no problem with the headline "Shooting at one of NSU's dorms". Instead we getting "Another school shooting".

They are vastly different.