Another way to look at evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Another way to look at evolution
I've been thinking about it. And I realize that evolution is an apolitical, amoral, areligious, and inevitable byproduct of a few basic rules of chemistry, physics and mathematical probability. Discuss

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2013, 04:36 AM
RE: Another way to look at evolution
(16-04-2013 11:37 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I've been thinking about it. And I realize that evolution is an apolitical, amoral, areligious, and inevitable byproduct of a few basic rules of chemistry, physics and mathematical probability. Discuss

I don't know what you mean by 'another'. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
17-04-2013, 04:51 AM
"Another" as in "Evolution is the tool of Satan."
[+] 1 user Likes gawdzilla sama's post
17-04-2013, 04:52 AM
BTW, I ran this by PZed and he liked it. "Calling modern evolutionary theory 'Darwinism' is like calling modern aeronautical engineering 'Wrightism'."
[+] 3 users Like gawdzilla sama's post
17-04-2013, 08:15 AM
(17-04-2013 04:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 11:37 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I've been thinking about it. And I realize that evolution is an apolitical, amoral, areligious, and inevitable byproduct of a few basic rules of chemistry, physics and mathematical probability. Discuss

I don't know what you mean by 'another'. Consider
/thread.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
17-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Hey, Gawd.

Darwinism is a term used by radical Evangelicals like Richard Dawkins and... wait... what...

Hey, Carlo.

I disagree.

It's not the result of chemistry.

Most people conflate two terms: DNA and gene.

DNA is a molecule. It is a semiochemical: a chemical that carries a message.

A gene is information. It is most ubiquitously stored IN DNA, but it can be stored anywhere information can be stored and transmitted any way information can be transmitted.

Shakespeare's sonnets were recently stored in DNA, a fascinating experiment that illustrates handily that DNA's "job" is not to store genes, but to store information of any kind.

All of this is to say that evolution isn't an inevitability of chemistry. It might be an inevitability of physics because physics covers information transfer. As for mathematical probability, sure. Why not.

Blackmore attributed this to Dennett. IF you have VARIATION and HEREDITY and SELECTION, THEN you MUST have evolution.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
17-04-2013, 10:07 AM
(17-04-2013 09:52 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Gawd.

Darwinism is a term used by radical Evangelicals like Richard Dawkins and... wait... what...

Hey, Carlo.

I disagree.

It's not the result of chemistry.

Most people conflate two terms: DNA and gene.

DNA is a molecule. It is a semiochemical: a chemical that carries a message.

A gene is information. It is most ubiquitously stored IN DNA, but it can be stored anywhere information can be stored and transmitted any way information can be transmitted.

Shakespeare's sonnets were recently stored in DNA, a fascinating experiment that illustrates handily that DNA's "job" is not to store genes, but to store information of any kind.

All of this is to say that evolution isn't an inevitability of chemistry. It might be an inevitability of physics because physics covers information transfer. As for mathematical probability, sure. Why not.

Blackmore attributed this to Dennett. IF you have VARIATION and HEREDITY and SELECTION, THEN you MUST have evolution.

Matt

Here, on earth, it is RNA/DNA-based. It is a result of physics/chemistry. Once there is replication and change, there is evolution.

This is the 'evolution' that is apolitical, amoral, and areligious here on earth.

It is the opposition to the fact of biological evolution that is political, moral, and religious.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Epic rap battle: Chas vs Ghost. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Hey, Chas.

I actually have no idea what your counterargument is. Like really. What's all this "here on Earth" business?

Matt
17-04-2013, 12:00 PM
You're arguing past each other.

Life is based on chemistry, and that chemistry interacts in a way that can be described as carrying information. Evolution works upon groups of organisms and the physical characteristics expressed due to the information expressed in their chemistry.

You're saying the same thing, but from two different conceptual levels. Chas is talking the chemistry level, Ghost is talking the informational level. Both are valid and essential to our understanding of biological evolution.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post