Another weight loss thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Another weight loss thread
I'm going to be like the 54th person to do this here.

So the idea of this thread is that I want to lose weight, and it's going to help me. I've been trying since I started college, I keep failing, but I won't let it happen this time. Whenever I fail I'll need to post about it here, to let everyone know I messed up. I will also post anything good that happens, and progress weekly or whenever I feel it's necessary. I might occasionally just write something to distract myself if I feel like I'm going to slip.

I'm current at 242 pounds. My goal is to get to 225 by Thanksgiving break. Or, really, my ultimate goal is to lose enough that my grandmother and brother (both kind of naggy about this kind of thing) notice without my mentioning it. Yes On both accounts, difficult, but doable. After that I'll see how things are going; obviously I'll want to lose more, but trying to continue dieting around Christmas is just asking to fail, I think.

Right now I have free access to a gym and pool, and all the food comes with calorie labels. I need to buckle down and do this before I lose all of those advantages.

Here's what I've got going on here;

- I have a FitBit, which tracks how much I burn and how much I can eat while still leaving enough burned to lose weight. After having it set to lose 1.5 pounds per week for quite a while I've set it to losing 2. I also just put in an order for a different model that'll track the calories I burn when swimming.

- I live on a 500 acre college campus, so I walk a decent amount by necessity. Starting today, no more bus (barring heavy storms or snow). Taking a bit of a longer path is always good. My crummy Tuesday schedule that has an hour between each class is a blessing in disguise; plenty of walking time between classes.

- On days where I have no classes; Friday has a free figure drawing not-really-a-class I will walk to and back from. I also like to do any food shopping on Friday, I'll see what can be bought at the Dollar General and walk there instead of driving to Wal-Mart, which is farther away. Saturday has nothing, so it will be gym day, where I will check my progress on the scale (I have a scale in my dorm, but according to it I lost five pounds in two days in which I wasn't even trying, which I don't think is possible) and do something in there, most likely use the treadmill. Sunday has weekly sports-centric events, which I will partake in as often as possible.

- I should and will take advantage of the pool as often as possible.

I'm happy to say the first day with the FitBit set to losing two pounds has gone very well. I was really nervous, but this' actually turned out better than the last two days with it set to losing 1.5. Thanks to a class letting out early, opening up time for a twenty minute walk around campus, I have more than enough calories for everything I planned on eating today, plus some wiggle room. I feel I'm off to a good start.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like CleverUsername's post
24-09-2017, 07:25 PM
RE: Another weight loss thread
I cannot express how super happy I am with how wonderfully the past six days have gone.

I was so sure that going for two pounds a week was going to make me even more miserable than I already was, but I think it just pushed me past doing the bare minimum to get by and into really trying. For the past five days, I have regularly gotten over 11,000 steps (I got over 15,000 yesterday), whereas I think I got up to 10,000 three times over the course of the several months I was trying to do the 1.5 pounds. I'm also hitting all of Fitbits' over all calorie burned, exercise, and miles goals on a regular basis.

(Except Thursday. On Thursday I did 4.7 miles and 10,938 steps. I think it's because Thursday was the day I went swimming.)

I finally tried out the gym yesterday, and all my self-consciousness about trying it out is completely gone. I even went back today and spent well over an hour in there. The new Fitbit's here and takes a bit to register the fact that I swam, but it does eventually do it, and it's nice to have that little cushion to fall back on. I've rediscovered the joys of fruits and yogurt. Everything's going well.

I have two days in the upcoming week where I'm going out to dinner. Normally I think doing so is pretty much a diet death sentence, but I've been doing so good, I'm sure I can make it without breaking my calorie budget.

My only problem is that according to the gym's scale, I lost seven pounds (at 235.7, more specifically) over the course of eight days (and I actually checked yesterday and it was at least two pounds more). Which again, I'm pretty sure isn't actually possible (I mean, I can see a bit of variation based on maybe wearing slightly heavier clothes or having eaten a bit before the earlier weighing, but five pounds more than Fitbit says I should be getting seems ridiculous). So I don't know if I can trust that scale, either.

[+] 4 users Like CleverUsername's post
24-09-2017, 07:53 PM
my weight fluctuates 5 pounds or more during the day. To counter that, I always weigh in first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before eating or drinking anything. Still, it goes up and down due to water retention.
I'd suggest only weighing once a week, and try to do it at the same time/conditions each time. IE before dnner and after lunch, etc.
Don't put too much into the fibit calorie counting. Figure out your own calorie budget and build a doable meal plan.
Your progress is fantastic but not uncommon. Early on, you tend to push out retained water and this dramatically increases those numbers.
The scale is real, the fitbit projections are not. Smile
25-09-2017, 05:21 AM
Weight does go up and down during the day--5 pounds is not unusual--and scales are different. To judge your progress using a scale, pick one scale and a similar time of day and stick with that. When I'm trying to manage my weight, I find it most useful to weigh daily or every other day.

However, I think there are more useful ways to judge your progress: 1) a tape measure/the way your clothes fit, and 2) your ability to keep the promises you make to yourself about eating, activity. Even if your progress is slower sometimes than you want, developing #2 is helpful in just about every aspect of your life and deserves to be celebrated.

Good luck. It sounds like you've made a great start that will motivate you to keep going!
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
25-09-2017, 06:39 AM
I agree with the tape measure. Weight can naturally fluctuate due to a variety of things: wearing clothes/shoes, eating a high sodium meal, weighing yourself directly after eating, having your period, increased muscle mass, and so on.

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing great! Smile
25-09-2017, 06:47 AM
Cut out carbs and do cardio.

Actually I'm kind of doing the Alternate day fasting thing.
I know someone who lost about 50 lbs pretty quick with that.
Impressive results.
It's not a long term lifestyle. But it can jump start weight loss.

https://paleoleap.com/alternate-day-fast...day-fasts/

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
01-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Thanks a lot for the comments, guys! I made it through the restaurant trip (I ended up not going to the second one)! The entree I'd been depending on wasn't there, and the one I ordered instead tasted terrible, so without a solid dinner I figured I was screwed and gave up, but then halfway through a lackluster Reeses ice cream bar I pulled myself back from the brink. I also got through driving home and back to school without breaking my budget, which s another victory for me since that's usually the time when I buy like two thousand calories worth of junk before hand and snack constantly to dull the boredom.

I'm currently down to 233.3.

I have been using the same scale (the main reason I even started with the gym was because there's a scale there and I thought it'd look weird going in there just to check then leave), and I did plan on only checking once a week, I just started second guessing myself on whether or not I was remembering the number right from my checking on Saturday so figured I'd just go and double check. Daily checking would be kind of impractical.

The Fitbit lets me add to the calorie budget when I need to by taking more steps, without needing to worry about timing exactly how long I've been walking, when I paused for one reason or another, or how fast I'm going. If I had to set a pre-determined budget I think I'd have crumpled by now. Being on a college campus gives a lot of benefits, but the downside is not many filling but low calorie options. I need to be able to stretch the budget more otherwise I'd end up eating pasta every day.

I searched the house for a tape measure and had no luck. I'll need to see about purchasing one when I get the chance.

And on the subject of that every other day diet, I would definitely not make it, and my parents got upset with me when they found out I was putting off meals until late at night (and I tend not to do that anymore), I don't think they'd be happy hearing I wasn't eating all day.

[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
02-10-2017, 06:26 AM
A lot of daily weight fluctuation is just fluids. Long term averages will give you a better indication.

Also, some people who start resistance training in an effort to lose weight initially gain a little, despite actually losing fat, due to the rapid newbie gains their muscles are experiencing.

'Murican Canadian
02-10-2017, 06:39 AM
(01-10-2017 06:58 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Thanks a lot for the comments, guys! I made it through the restaurant trip (I ended up not going to the second one)! The entree I'd been depending on wasn't there, and the one I ordered instead tasted terrible, so without a solid dinner I figured I was screwed and gave up, but then halfway through a lackluster Reeses ice cream bar I pulled myself back from the brink. I also got through driving home and back to school without breaking my budget, which s another victory for me since that's usually the time when I buy like two thousand calories worth of junk before hand and snack constantly to dull the boredom.

I'm currently down to 233.3.

I have been using the same scale (the main reason I even started with the gym was because there's a scale there and I thought it'd look weird going in there just to check then leave), and I did plan on only checking once a week, I just started second guessing myself on whether or not I was remembering the number right from my checking on Saturday so figured I'd just go and double check. Daily checking would be kind of impractical.

The Fitbit lets me add to the calorie budget when I need to by taking more steps, without needing to worry about timing exactly how long I've been walking, when I paused for one reason or another, or how fast I'm going. If I had to set a pre-determined budget I think I'd have crumpled by now. Being on a college campus gives a lot of benefits, but the downside is not many filling but low calorie options. I need to be able to stretch the budget more otherwise I'd end up eating pasta every day.

I searched the house for a tape measure and had no luck. I'll need to see about purchasing one when I get the chance.

And on the subject of that every other day diet, I would definitely not make it, and my parents got upset with me when they found out I was putting off meals until late at night (and I tend not to do that anymore), I don't think they'd be happy hearing I wasn't eating all day.

The tape measure you can find at most sewing or craft or fabric stores. I just have a basic (I guess you would call it a fabric tape measure?). Anyway, I bought mine because I do a lot of shopping for clothes, bras, and things online and some of the sizes are off and I need to use the size chart to measure myself. The fabric tape measure works great for that sort of thing because it really clings to your body and helps you get an accurate size. And the best part is, it's only like 2 bucks Tongue
02-10-2017, 04:27 PM
(02-10-2017 06:26 AM)yakherder Wrote:  A lot of daily weight fluctuation is just fluids. Long term averages will give you a better indication.

Also, some people who start resistance training in an effort to lose weight initially gain a little, despite actually losing fat, due to the rapid newbie gains their muscles are experiencing.

I've just been using a treadmill and occasional elliptical. I'm not an expert, but I doubt I'll need to worry about gaining muscle making it seem like I'm not losing.

(02-10-2017 06:39 AM)jennybee Wrote:  The tape measure you can find at most sewing or craft or fabric stores. I just have a basic (I guess you would call it a fabric tape measure?). Anyway, I bought mine because I do a lot of shopping for clothes, bras, and things online and some of the sizes are off and I need to use the size chart to measure myself. The fabric tape measure works great for that sort of thing because it really clings to your body and helps you get an accurate size. And the best part is, it's only like 2 bucks Tongue

I've got one headed here from Amazon. Five bucks, but you pay for convenience.

[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post