Another weight loss thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2017, 09:59 AM
RE: Another weight loss thread
According to the weekly scale check, I went up. 234.7.

Hopefully that's just a bit of the fluctuating you guys mentioned, otherwise I guess I messed up sometime during the week. I felt pretty crummy about it anyway, but I guess there isn't much to do about it other than hoping for a better result next week.

Still waiting on the tape measure, which was sent to my house even though I put in my school address.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2017, 02:45 AM
hope to lose 5 kg till New Year
17-10-2017, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2017 07:06 AM by CleverUsername.)
Late, quick update, because I feel I should stay on track of keeping this a weekly thing.

Scale says I'm down to 230.

The tape measure got here, and says 46 inches (Blush ), so I'll be checking that weekly now, too.

Gym visits have morphed from once a week to almost daily.

And I went to a buffet for lunch of Sunday and didn't break my budget, so, woo!

17-10-2017, 04:41 PM
cool! the gym increase is going to show in many ways and not the tape or scale will measure them.
24-10-2017, 02:57 PM
Updating late again, but I've been going at this for (a few days more than) one month! I've never pulled that off before. Big Grin

Scale says 229.2. Tape measure says 44 inches.

Tomorrow I'm going to the movies. I'm mentioning that on here so I feel extra embarrassed if I break. I've got it all planned out so I know I have enough calories to spend when I get there. I'm going to have to go to the gym before class and not have butter on the popcorn, both of which will both suck, but I've got to stick to this.

(17-10-2017 04:41 PM)skyking Wrote:  cool! the gym increase is going to show in many ways and not the tape or scale will measure them.

I'm mainly been doing just the treadmill and elliptical. Do you have any suggestions for other machines to try out?

[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
24-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Your body will eventually adapt to repetitive movements and the muscles involved will become more efficient at performing them, which is the opposite of what you want when trying to burn off excess fuel in the form of calories.
When that happens you may hit a wall. The key to continued weight loss after the initial drop is variety.

'Murican Canadian
24-10-2017, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2017 09:01 PM by jennybee.)
(24-10-2017 02:57 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Updating late again, but I've been going at this for (a few days more than) one month! I've never pulled that off before. Big Grin

Tomorrow I'm going to the movies. I'm mentioning that on here so I feel extra embarrassed if I break. I've got it all planned out so I know I have enough calories to spend when I get there. I'm going to have to go to the gym before class and not have butter on the popcorn, both of which will both suck, but I've got to stick to this.

(17-10-2017 04:41 PM)skyking Wrote:  cool! the gym increase is going to show in many ways and not the tape or scale will measure them.

I'm mainly been doing just the treadmill and elliptical. Do you have any suggestions for other machines to try out?

Yoga is really great for creating muscular tone, so might be something to consider adding along with the machines. I've been doing yoga for awhile and it has really toned my body while allowing me to keep all of my curves. It also has a bunch of other health benefits as well-like improving posture, flexibility, circulation, and much, much more. I highly recommend! But I may be a bit biased Tongue Congrats on sticking with everything, you should be so proud of yourself! Smile
24-10-2017, 10:05 PM
I suggest adding in upper body workouts. As your body starts to burn itself, it will consume muscle just as readily as fat. Muscle you aren't using/toning gets consumed, particularly by legwork like the treadmill. Look at a typical runner's build to see the extreme example of that.
25-10-2017, 04:35 AM
(24-10-2017 02:57 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Updating late again, but I've been going at this for (a few days more than) one month! I've never pulled that off before. Big Grin

Add strength training. Get one of the gym staff to show you some simple exercises with machines for the major muscle groups and do them 2-3x a week.

While your body will get used to whatever exercise you do, you will still benefit from it...the calorie burn will just be a bit lower. (However, the calorie burn is going to lower in general as you lose weight, so don't obsess about that.) If you're enjoying your workouts, that's the important thing.

Varying your exercise is good because it helps avoid overuse injuries. At the gym, you could try the bikes or a class sometimes. Doesn't matter which class, as long as it's different. If it's safe in your area, think about going outside sometimes for a hike.
29-10-2017, 08:26 AM
I'd like to ask you guys; I've been thinking about giving myself a free day on Halloween, I'd still get my 10,000 steps in, but not count calories for the day. Do you guys think it's a bad idea to do that? It's mainly for candy, which I know is a stupid reason to go off it, but it's Halloween and that's largely what's fun about it (I don't have a costume or anywhere to really go). On one hand, I've done well enough so far that I'm confidant I could stick to the diet through the day if I really wanted to (I could even work some candy into the calorie budget), but on the other hand I'm very much on track to my goal, I know I can get right back on the wagon after the one day, and a one day break just sounds really nice. Be honest, if you think I shouldn't do it please tell me.

On the topic of the gym, I tried to vary it a bit yesterday. In addition to 55 total minutes (I split it into 40 and 15) on the treadmill and 15 on the elliptical, I also did ten minutes on one of the stair climber things (I'm not sure what made me think that was a good idea. I'm never touching those again), and a little bit over ten minutes on two machines that work your arms (I didn't check the names). I'll try to spend some time on the new machines each time I go in there.

Scale says 224.3, tape measure still says 44. So...goal reached, actually, maybe? Like you guys said, weight can vary. Still, feeling good that I've made so much progress.

(24-10-2017 08:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yoga is really great for creating muscular tone, so might be something to consider adding along with the machines. I've been doing yoga for awhile and it has really toned my body while allowing me to keep all of my curves. It also has a bunch of other health benefits as well-like improving posture, flexibility, circulation, and much, much more. I highly recommend! But I may be a bit biased Tongue Congrats on sticking with everything, you should be so proud of yourself! Smile

Can you recommend a site with good information? That sounds like a good thing I could do in my room.

Thank you Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post