Another weight loss thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2017, 09:09 AM
RE: Another weight loss thread
(29-10-2017 08:26 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I'd like to ask you guys; I've been thinking about giving myself a free day on Halloween, I'd still get my 10,000 steps in, but not count calories for the day. Do you guys think it's a bad idea to do that? It's mainly for candy, which I know is a stupid reason to go off it, but it's Halloween and that's largely what's fun about it (I don't have a costume or anywhere to really go). On one hand, I've done well enough so far that I'm confidant I could stick to the diet through the day if I really wanted to (I could even work some candy into the calorie budget), but on the other hand I'm very much on track to my goal, I know I can get right back on the wagon after the one day, and a one day break just sounds really nice. Be honest, if you think I shouldn't do it please tell me.

On the topic of the gym, I tried to vary it a bit yesterday. In addition to 55 total minutes (I split it into 40 and 15) on the treadmill and 15 on the elliptical, I also did ten minutes on one of the stair climber things (I'm not sure what made me think that was a good idea. I'm never touching those again), and a little bit over ten minutes on two machines that work your arms (I didn't check the names). I'll try to spend some time on the new machines each time I go in there.

Scale says 224.3, tape measure still says 44. So...goal reached, actually, maybe? Like you guys said, weight can vary. Still, feeling good that I've made so much progress.

(24-10-2017 08:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yoga is really great for creating muscular tone, so might be something to consider adding along with the machines. I've been doing yoga for awhile and it has really toned my body while allowing me to keep all of my curves. It also has a bunch of other health benefits as well-like improving posture, flexibility, circulation, and much, much more. I highly recommend! But I may be a bit biased Tongue Congrats on sticking with everything, you should be so proud of yourself! Smile

Can you recommend a site with good information? That sounds like a good thing I could do in my room.

Thank you Big Grin

A really great site is yogaglo, however they charge a monthly fee, I think it's like 18 bucks a month for unlimited usage. Yoga With Adriene on YouTube is really great as well. I also like Yoga by Candace (also available on YouTube).

I think cheat days are good. You could also always do a cheat day with some parameters. For instance, four small candy bars or something. That way you still feel in control but still allowing yourself to go off a bit. I think the bottom line is, you have to do what works best for you and if you think you can get right back on track the next day, then I think the candy extravaganza is okay Tongue

That said, sugar is addictive for some people and the sugar binge could cause you to crave it more the next day, week etc. But as long as you are aware of that and are just extra diligent (and if sugar doesn't effect you in that way) then I think you should be fine. I think if you think you might be addicted to sugary things or if you think it could cause you to fall off the wagon, I think limiting the candy would be a good idea to maybe 4 small treats (plus you won't get sick from all the sweets lol).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2017, 09:32 AM
(29-10-2017 08:26 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I'd like to ask you guys; I've been thinking about giving myself a free day on Halloween, I'd still get my 10,000 steps in, but not count calories for the day. Do you guys think it's a bad idea to do that? It's mainly for candy, which I know is a stupid reason to go off it, but it's Halloween and that's largely what's fun about it (I don't have a costume or anywhere to really go). On one hand, I've done well enough so far that I'm confidant I could stick to the diet through the day if I really wanted to (I could even work some candy into the calorie budget), but on the other hand I'm very much on track to my goal, I know I can get right back on the wagon after the one day, and a one day break just sounds really nice. Be honest, if you think I shouldn't do it please tell me.

On the topic of the gym, I tried to vary it a bit yesterday. In addition to 55 total minutes (I split it into 40 and 15) on the treadmill and 15 on the elliptical, I also did ten minutes on one of the stair climber things (I'm not sure what made me think that was a good idea. I'm never touching those again), and a little bit over ten minutes on two machines that work your arms (I didn't check the names). I'll try to spend some time on the new machines each time I go in there.

Scale says 224.3, tape measure still says 44. So...goal reached, actually, maybe? Like you guys said, weight can vary. Still, feeling good that I've made so much progress.

(24-10-2017 08:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yoga is really great for creating muscular tone, so might be something to consider adding along with the machines. I've been doing yoga for awhile and it has really toned my body while allowing me to keep all of my curves. It also has a bunch of other health benefits as well-like improving posture, flexibility, circulation, and much, much more. I highly recommend! But I may be a bit biased Tongue Congrats on sticking with everything, you should be so proud of yourself! Smile

Can you recommend a site with good information? That sounds like a good thing I could do in my room.

Thank you Big Grin

Think carefully about your free day would be my advice. Halloween is the start of two months of not just a bunch of yummy food and drink around, but also of a fair amount of social pressure to overindulge. My own experience has been that giving myself a day off of whatever routine I'm trying to stick to (eating, practicing clarinet, exercising, etc.) early in the holiday season often cascades into lots of days off, followed by a self-loathing and frustrated January.

My other piece of advice is that if you take that free day, take it from the perspective of the person you expect to be once you've lost the weight. This is something that has worked very well for me at times. (of course this person is an aspirational construct, but it's good to imagine her) Maybe for her, a satisfying treat day is a couple of miniature Snickers and an evening spent dancing with friends, rather than a deep dive into the candy bowl. In my heart, I want the candy bowl-sized sugar coma, but I can usually persuade myself long enough to get through the high-minded free day.

Congratulations on your progress so far. I think you're doing great!
29-10-2017, 12:46 PM
I generally try to avoid splurge or treat days because I find I just feel like shit afterwards, so why bother? In the grand scheme of things, like everyone's said, one splurge day won't hurt your progress. It's the danger of one splurge day leading to you rationalizing more splurge days that can throw you off.

That said, if you do decide to jack up your insulin levels for the day, might as well take advantage of the effect insulin has on protein absorption and make it an intense training day.

'Murican Canadian
29-10-2017, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2017 07:49 PM by CleverUsername.)
You guys make a lot of really good points. Darn you. Tongue

I have total faith in my ability to get back on the wagon. I've had trouble with it in the past, but I've also had trouble not breaking at theaters, restaurants, buffets, and long car trips, and I've overcome those, so I think I could overcome this, too. And it's not like I haven't been having sugar since I started this, it's just been in smaller portions, so I don't think I'd start on some sugar frenzy if I got some more.

That said, I totally hadn't taken into account the upcoming, harder holidays. I'm still shaky on how I'm going to handle those, but it does change my perspective to look at Halloween as a possible beginning of a long line of days off rather than just the one.

I wish I'd had the foresight to ask this question sooner, because if I had and gotten these responses I probably would've just worked a bit harder to have a couple hundred calories left at the end of each day for the week leading up to it, then used those calories on the day of, so I technically go over for the day but stay under for the week as a whole. There are a fair amount of days where I end with a few hundred left and I'm not really hungry but I have something anyway so I can have the stuff I enjoy but normally avoid when I have to worry about getting through the day.

Okay, I'll stick to it. If I take a couple of low calorie options for meals I could have a good eight hundred calories to work with for special things anyway. And I'll see what I can scrounge up today and tomorrow for left over calories, so to speak. Crud, if I'm willing to be vaguely miserable tomorrow to make myself happier on Halloween I could take the lower calorie options tomorrow (which are decently sized and filling it's just a person can only have pasta so many times before they get sick of it), as well, giving me an extra thousand or so to spend what I want on Halloween.

Worst case scenario, I'll use Jenny's cheat with parameters idea, and give myself one free item I can eat without adding to the calorie count. But it shouldn't come to that.

Thanks for the advice and encouraging words! And thanks for the site recommendation, Jenny, I'll look into it.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
29-10-2017, 08:54 PM
(29-10-2017 07:45 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  You guys make a lot of really good points. Darn you. Tongue

I have total faith in my ability to get back on the wagon. I've had trouble with it in the past, but I've also had trouble not breaking at theaters, restaurants, buffets, and long car trips, and I've overcome those, so I think I could overcome this, too. And it's not like I haven't been having sugar since I started this, it's just been in smaller portions, so I don't think I'd start on some sugar frenzy if I got some more.

That said, I totally hadn't taken into account the upcoming, harder holidays. I'm still shaky on how I'm going to handle those, but it does change my perspective to look at Halloween as a possible beginning of a long line of days off rather than just the one.

I wish I'd had the foresight to ask this question sooner, because if I had and gotten these responses I probably would've just worked a bit harder to have a couple hundred calories left at the end of each day for the week leading up to it, then used those calories on the day of, so I technically go over for the day but stay under for the week as a whole. There are a fair amount of days where I end with a few hundred left and I'm not really hungry but I have something anyway so I can have the stuff I enjoy but normally avoid when I have to worry about getting through the day.

Okay, I'll stick to it. If I take a couple of low calorie options for meals I could have a good eight hundred calories to work with for special things anyway. And I'll see what I can scrounge up today and tomorrow for left over calories, so to speak. Crud, if I'm willing to be vaguely miserable tomorrow to make myself happier on Halloween I could take the lower calorie options tomorrow (which are decently sized and filling it's just a person can only have pasta so many times before they get sick of it), as well, giving me an extra thousand or so to spend what I want on Halloween.

Worst case scenario, I'll use Jenny's cheat with parameters idea, and give myself one free item I can eat without adding to the calorie count. But it shouldn't come to that.

Thanks for the advice and encouraging words! And thanks for the site recommendation, Jenny, I'll look into it.

It sounds like you've got Halloween in the bag Smile

For the upcoming holidays, I try to make several healthy appetizers that are relatively low in fat and calories. Hummus and veggies, date nut rolls, stuffed tomatoes, a fruit and nut plate, and so on. That way you can eat what you like without worrying so much about calories. If you are going to someone else's home, you can still make two low cal appetizers to take with you.

As far as the meal, when I'm hosting I usually try and make a somewhat healthy dinner with sides. There are lots of recipes online that allow you to still make healthy, yummy food just by making minor substitutions. For dessert, I usually make baked pears with vanilla ice cream which are super easy to make and other than the one scoop of vanilla ice cream, aren't that bad for you. They are super delicious too.

If I'm going to another person's home, I just try to pick the healthiest things I can and fill my plate mostly up with those things but still leave a little room for some not so healthy things.

If you like to drink, wine isn't a bad option and you can always follow that up with some seltzer with lemon or lime (so wine, seltzer, seltzer, wine, etc).

A tip I learned from watching the Oscars Laugh out load is to eat a banana before you leave for dinner, it helps to fill you up so your not starving before the big meal.

I think above all have fun. Holidays should be enjoyed. Just focus on making the healthiest choices you can and still allow yourself one or two treats. The rest will fall into place.
30-10-2017, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2017 10:37 AM by jennybee.)
I would also add that I find meditation to be helpful as well-especially around the holidays because holiday stress can lead to stress eating. I usually do a 30-60 minute meditation prior to any holiday crazy lol But you can do as little as 15 minutes (as suggested by studies) to see meditative benefits. Although, I find even 5 minutes works when I'm totally Hobo .

Meditation helps to quiet your mind for a bit, which without the static, allows you to better focus on your goals. There are many different types of meditation. You could just sit quietly and focus on one objectin your mind (the petals of a flower for example). You could even listen to music and simply focus on the words or the beat and tune everything else out. Or you could repeat a mantra (which is literally anything that you want it to be like "I am going to stick to my diet today" or whatever you like). Or you can meditate on how you see yourself moving through the holiday with ease. Or you could simply sit there and focus on your breathing (the way it goes in, then there's a natural slight pause, then out, and a natural slight pause). Or focus on relaxing each part of your body. Or there are some YouTube videos available like The Honest Guys who will walk you through a meditation.

Meditation can be done sitting on a cushion or a few blankets on the floor, sitting upright (not slouched), with legs crossed with hand resting on lap, or you can sit upright in a chair (with your back not resting on the back of the chair) with hands resting on lap. You can even lie down on your back (although it is easy to fall asleep in that position).
06-11-2017, 09:56 AM
I'm a little worried. The scale says 222.5 (I might have lost weight on Halloween week! Woo!), but the tape measure says I'm back up to 46 inches. I don't know if I should be paying more attention to one or the other.

Off of that, I'd like to take this moment to thank you guys, because if it wasn't for the knowledge that I'd have to come in here and admit I messed up, I probably would've broken. I went into the school's cafeteria armed with seven hundred calories just to see if they were doing anything special for the holiday, and it turns out they'd laid out an entire little desert setup. Bunches of cutesy themed cupcakes, cookies shoved into brownies to look like gravestones, and a bunch of caramel apples on top (I tried one. Turns out I don't like caramel apples). It was really temping, but I got through it.

On the subject of other holidays, there are a few I'm not going to try on. This is not because I think I can't do it. This whole thing has been a huge confidence booster, and I truly feel like I could conquer any day now (especially with the little left over calorie cheat). It's just that I don't want to spend some holidays worrying about this kind of thing. I want to be able to, at least, spend Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas enjoying myself and not needing to worry about when I can slip away to get exercise in so I can worry slightly less about if this cup of hot chocolate will screw me over for the rest of the day.

That said, if you guys could see my thoughts when this thread was new, and compare them to now, you'd know just how much my outlook has changed. I went into this with the mindset that I'd end up taking a bunch of days off (the entirety of Thanksgiving break, finals week, and the entirety of winter break) that I don't feel the need to take off anymore. In general, I think I can tackle any day, and like I said, the holidays I take off are more wanting a break from worrying about it than not thinking I could do it.

On a couple gym notes, the school is offering a free personal trainer meeting, which I wasn't going to sign up for (seemed more like a thing for serious gym people), but the flier mentioned optimizing weight loss, so I will be doing that on Thursday. And I'd been wondering why I wasn't feeling sore from trying the new machines, until Friday night, when it hit me HARD.

As for meditation, I might try it, but I really don't think I have the patience. I get bored super easily. Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
06-11-2017, 11:31 AM
(06-11-2017 09:56 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I'm a little worried. The scale says 222.5 (I might have lost weight on Halloween week! Woo!), but the tape measure says I'm back up to 46 inches. I don't know if I should be paying more attention to one or the other.

Off of that, I'd like to take this moment to thank you guys, because if it wasn't for the knowledge that I'd have to come in here and admit I messed up, I probably would've broken. I went into the school's cafeteria armed with seven hundred calories just to see if they were doing anything special for the holiday, and it turns out they'd laid out an entire little desert setup. Bunches of cutesy themed cupcakes, cookies shoved into brownies to look like gravestones, and a bunch of caramel apples on top (I tried one. Turns out I don't like caramel apples). It was really temping, but I got through it.

On the subject of other holidays, there are a few I'm not going to try on. This is not because I think I can't do it. This whole thing has been a huge confidence booster, and I truly feel like I could conquer any day now (especially with the little left over calorie cheat). It's just that I don't want to spend some holidays worrying about this kind of thing. I want to be able to, at least, spend Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas enjoying myself and not needing to worry about when I can slip away to get exercise in so I can worry slightly less about if this cup of hot chocolate will screw me over for the rest of the day.

That said, if you guys could see my thoughts when this thread was new, and compare them to now, you'd know just how much my outlook has changed. I went into this with the mindset that I'd end up taking a bunch of days off (the entirety of Thanksgiving break, finals week, and the entirety of winter break) that I don't feel the need to take off anymore. In general, I think I can tackle any day, and like I said, the holidays I take off are more wanting a break from worrying about it than not thinking I could do it.

On a couple gym notes, the school is offering a free personal trainer meeting, which I wasn't going to sign up for (seemed more like a thing for serious gym people), but the flier mentioned optimizing weight loss, so I will be doing that on Thursday. And I'd been wondering why I wasn't feeling sore from trying the new machines, until Friday night, when it hit me HARD.

As for meditation, I might try it, but I really don't think I have the patience. I get bored super easily. Laugh out load

Our bodies sometimes fluctuate due to retaining water, hormones, high salt intake during the day, what have you. Imo, don't get too hung up on the scale or tape measure. Just keep making healthy choices, exercising, eating medium-sized portions, and all will happen naturally. Focus more on how you feel and less on the measurements. That's just how I see things, ymmv Tongue
22-11-2017, 12:10 PM
I'm still going at this.

Didn't do an update last week because the scale and measuring tape (I think. It may have not changed) said I went up (224), so I was feeling pretty crummy. I know what you guys say about weight varying, but it still feels bad. I also went I found out the weight I'm actually supposed to be to be considered healthy (I thought maybe I'd stop at 180. Turns out the highest I'm supposed to be is about 160 at the most), so that made me feel worse. Also I'm terrible at doing things on time.

The tape says 44.6 now and the scale says 218, so I'm feeling better.

I had an interesting experience with the personal trainer people last week. They wouldn't let me workout because I mentioned I sometimes have chest pain (it's been there a while. I don't think it's workout related. It comes at random and lasts two seconds), but they gave me nutritional advice, and it turns out the amount of calories Fitbit's been telling me to eat actually might be too low. And the crazy thing is that when they said that I actually didn't like the idea of eating more. I'm currently eating around 1,600 calories per day, and they said I might want to eat a bit more. I don't know, I feel like I'm eating plenty, I don't see how 1,600 is so bad. And I end up going over that a lot anyway, on days where I walk more.

I'm also worrying a bit about tomorrow. I guess I feel bad about breaking the diet, but at the same time don't feel bad enough to just say I won't. I've been thinking maybe I'll still try and sneak in my 10,000 steps to try and stem the damage a bit. On Sunday I didn't feel good and had like eight hundred calories left over, plus a couple hundred a couple other days, so looking at it over the course of a week I'm sure the damage won't be that bad, but...I just still feel just guilty enough to worry about it.

23-11-2017, 08:13 AM
(22-11-2017 12:10 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I'm still going at this.

Didn't do an update last week because the scale and measuring tape (I think. It may have not changed) said I went up (224), so I was feeling pretty crummy. I know what you guys say about weight varying, but it still feels bad. I also went I found out the weight I'm actually supposed to be to be considered healthy (I thought maybe I'd stop at 180. Turns out the highest I'm supposed to be is about 160 at the most), so that made me feel worse. Also I'm terrible at doing things on time.

The tape says 44.6 now and the scale says 218, so I'm feeling better.

I had an interesting experience with the personal trainer people last week. They wouldn't let me workout because I mentioned I sometimes have chest pain (it's been there a while. I don't think it's workout related. It comes at random and lasts two seconds), but they gave me nutritional advice, and it turns out the amount of calories Fitbit's been telling me to eat actually might be too low. And the crazy thing is that when they said that I actually didn't like the idea of eating more. I'm currently eating around 1,600 calories per day, and they said I might want to eat a bit more. I don't know, I feel like I'm eating plenty, I don't see how 1,600 is so bad. And I end up going over that a lot anyway, on days where I walk more.

I'm also worrying a bit about tomorrow. I guess I feel bad about breaking the diet, but at the same time don't feel bad enough to just say I won't. I've been thinking maybe I'll still try and sneak in my 10,000 steps to try and stem the damage a bit. On Sunday I didn't feel good and had like eight hundred calories left over, plus a couple hundred a couple other days, so looking at it over the course of a week I'm sure the damage won't be that bad, but...I just still feel just guilty enough to worry about it.

I think it would be good to get the chest pain checked out, just to be sure all is well. Imo, don't get too hung up on the scale or on numbers on the tape measure. Focus on getting healthy, eating healthy, and exercising--which it sounds like you are doing.

For today, focus more on conversations with people, enjoy food, but just put a medium amount on your plate (you can always add more later if still hungry). Allow yourself one dessert. One-two drinks. Two appetizers. Eat a healthy breakfast in the morning. If not having Thanksgiving dinner until evening, eat a healthy lunch. If feeling hungry, eat a banana and drink a glass of water prior to the big meal, that'll fill you up. I always love to drink hot tea or water with a lemon or lime in it. Those things are nice to have in your hands if you want to skip the extra food and drink, but still feel social. Don't get so caught up in calories today. Just focus on making best choices--much easier to do that and enjoy the day celebrating with friends and family.

You've done so good so far, I know you can make it through the day Smile And just think, you get through this one, the next holidays will be easy peasy since you've proven to yourself you can do it.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post