Another wonderful debate

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
21-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Another wonderful debate
Just had a debate with a guy.

He said he believes in god. I wanted to know why.

So basically he said he can't live without belief in god.
I asked him what would happen if tomorrow we discovered there is no god. Turns out he will survive.
Then I asked him if he ever seen god. He didn't.
Then I asked if his god is capable of stopping a bullet. Turns out he does not.
So I asked him why he can't live without a belief in somebody who can't do something a vest can when he didn't even see him.
He then said why I was so angry at everyone.
I said I wasn't.
Then he went to smoke couple of times cause my questions were so complicated.

Then we tried to find what god is. Apparently it's love, hope and belief. He also says I can't live without belief in myself. I asked him if I am god. He said no. I asked him of he is god. He said no. So I said belief in god and myself are 2 different things and if god is not me then why believe in him.

He went to smoke again.

Then he come back and started telling me that when I will learn to love myself I will find god. Then he stopped responding.

What a wonderful debate.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
21-02-2014, 07:44 PM
RE: Another wonderful debate
You are having way too much fun Bowing

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-02-2014, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2014 07:50 PM by donotwant.)
They sure like to rename mundane things into gods. Like calling a belief a god. Or calling hope a god. So I asked him why would he need to believe in belief he then starts having hard time.
We also talked about love.
Him - "What is love?"
Me - "It's a state of human consciousness"
Him - "Oh yeah maybe it's also CHEMISTRY!?"
Me - "What does god have to do with it?"
Him - "Why are you so angry at everyone?"
21-02-2014, 08:14 PM
(21-02-2014 07:47 PM)donotwant Wrote:  They sure like to rename mundane things into gods. Like calling a belief a god. Or calling hope a god. So I asked him why would he need to believe in belief he then starts having hard time.
Him - "What is love?"

I think you touched a nerve with him...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Well I want to find why belief in god is so important. They don't know why they believe. They are not going to die without it. They never seen god. Man can do more then god. So what is it about god that's so important? I talked to 30 people today. Did not get a single good answer.
And I am the one angry at everybody.
90% people refused to answer. There was one girl though who does not know what god is but believes because something inside her tells her to. Well at least she's honest.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
21-02-2014, 08:18 PM
(21-02-2014 07:47 PM)donotwant Wrote:  They sure like to rename mundane things into gods. Like calling a belief a god. Or calling hope a god. So I asked him why would he need to believe in belief he then starts having hard time.
Him - "What is love?"

I've gotten the "why are you so angry at everyone" retort. It's like if you don't believe in god somehow you must be angry. My response it that I'm not angry at all, I'm just logical. Theists confuse logic with anger. Girl_nails

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
21-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Yes, DoucheBag is fond of using that one. It's a fallback for when their bullshit has been destroyed.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
21-02-2014, 09:58 PM
I think the reason a lot of people reject religion and become atheists is because of a natural tendency to question... Just because you've become an atheist doesn't mean the questions end, in many ways they increase in number.

I think the fact that atheists often pursue an argument to the bitter end makes us come across as being "angry"... What they mean when they say that is... "You're getting uncomfortably close to exposing the truth, so stop, please, its not fair, waaaaaaah...."

Its like saying a game is shit because you're crap at it...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
21-02-2014, 10:00 PM
(21-02-2014 09:58 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I think the fact that atheists often pursue an argument to the bitter end makes us come across as being "angry"... What they mean when they say that is... "You're getting uncomfortably close to exposing the truth, so stop, please, its not fair, waaaaaaah...."

Its like saying a game is shit because you're crap at it...

Hahaha Big Grin
21-02-2014, 10:10 PM
(21-02-2014 07:47 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Him - "What is love?"

You got this song stuck in my head. Now you all have to suffer and watch this terrible music video.

Atir aissom atir imon