Answering Father Barron

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2017, 07:14 PM
RE: Answering Father Barron
(27-02-2017 07:06 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5zaYDpiOj8

"Aggressive Secularism" Laughat

I guess when you're used to having a position of privilege any questioning is seen as aggressive.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like unfogged's post
27-02-2017, 07:15 PM
(27-02-2017 06:11 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  You all might enjoy, or at least be intrigued by Bishop Barron

He is not a typical fire and brimstone kind of guy. He is a priest but I believe critiques atheism in a sincere and intellectual matter.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwV9l-U8ds

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe5kVw9JsYI

Even when I was a Christian, I was convinced Catholics were a bunch of Satan-deluded minions. Now I just remove Satan from that summation.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
27-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Anytime a bishop, a cardinal, a pope or a pastor say anything about atheism, I already know they aren't going to be honest, logical or have any sound reasoning whatsoever.

That is my bias even before hearing what they have to say. Should I be proven wrong, the happier I will be.

I'm still waiting for the day I'm proven wrong.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 6 users Like Rahn127's post
27-02-2017, 07:23 PM
(27-02-2017 07:16 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Anytime a bishop, a cardinal, a pope or a pastor say anything about atheism, I already know they aren't going to be honest, logical or have any sound reasoning whatsoever.

My experience in discussing atheism with theists for ten years in the Amazon forums is that theists almost always lie about atheism and atheists.

They will not listen to corrections.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
27-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Quote: interested in engaging with atheists.

Please take this with the charity that's intended, but that's a quote from your Intro thread. Part of engaging, is to actually talk with people, instead of just posting Bishop Barron at them.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 14 users Like Shai Hulud's post
27-02-2017, 07:25 PM
(27-02-2017 07:16 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Anytime a bishop, a cardinal, a pope or a pastor say anything about atheism, I already know they aren't going to be honest, logical or have any sound reasoning whatsoever.

I concur. They always seem to completely ignore the real reason we disbelieve -- that is, a total lack of acceptable empirical evidence for their alleged god -- and poison the well with character slurs or fart around with "proofs" that are nothing of the sort.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post
27-02-2017, 07:31 PM
(27-02-2017 06:11 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  You all might enjoy, or at least be intrigued by Bishop Barron

He is not a typical fire and brimstone kind of guy. He is a priest but I believe critiques atheism in a sincere and intellectual matter.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwV9l-U8ds

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe5kVw9JsYI

7 minutes. That's 5 minutes longer than my attention span. Can you give it to me in 5 sentences or less? Try to keep them short if you can.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Anyone who really is a cradle Catholic, and worth their salt, would be actually able to come here, and engage confidently and knowledgeably with other people. Anyone who has to hide behind Barron videos, "cux he's the best we got" is pathetic. Barron is the 5th Grader's apologist, but that works, as most Catholics know nothing about their faith or its history. It would be nice if they actually had a 1st rate academic leader, (like Kung was).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-02-2017, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2017 07:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-02-2017 07:05 PM)pablo Wrote:  He has it backwards.
Looking at fantastical stories with a skeptical eye is not frivolous as he stated, it's holding religion up to modern standards of evidence rather than faith.
It's also not a fad.

Thanks Mexican monkey, now I don't have to watch it. That actually makes some sense to me. Except I'd say it's worse than frivolous, merely bringing myth into discussion alongside theory diminishes theory by virtue of being seen together in a seedy motel.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-02-2017, 07:45 PM
I pulled up the transcript and extracted a couple of gems (italicized emphases mine):

0:40: "and what I notice is how kind of flip popular and deeply unintelligent this form of atheism is..."
Definitely off to a very bad start.

1:09: "...they {Sartre and other 20th century existentialists) knew that we have in us a deep desire for fulfillment truth goodness justice in other words for God..."
Non sequitur.

2:00: "...I think what we see now a lot of the New Atheism is a kind of frivolous or superficial or childish atheism a kind of playing and atheism..."
Ironic, coming from a guy with an a whole flock of imaginary friends.

Don't bother watching the video. It's just a rambling, ill-conceived butt-hurt whinge that adds nothing of significance to the conversation.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 13 users Like Astreja's post