Answering Father Barron

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2017, 10:05 PM
RE: Answering Father Barron
(27-02-2017 09:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  I have a feeling this dude's a drive-by anyway.

Jesus take the wheel...

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like jennybee's post
28-02-2017, 02:41 AM
(27-02-2017 06:11 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  You all might enjoy, or at least be intrigued by Bishop Barron

He is not a typical fire and brimstone kind of guy. He is a priest but I believe critiques atheism in a sincere and intellectual matter.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwV9l-U8ds

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe5kVw9JsYI

I have to tell you that—particularly as a newbie—you've made an inopportune error in posting a YouTube video(s) espousing this pretentious Robert Emmet Barron person and his patronising, ill-informed comments about atheists, and atheism in general. He makes an error, right off the mark, in even using the phrase "new atheism"—he clearly has no idea of what atheism means.

And how dare this moron and his ilk lecture anyone on atheism? A man who seriously believes in transubstantiation in a scientifically-enlightened 21st century? And mythical gods and devils and "miracles"?

Rather than proselytising on—of all places!—an atheist website forum, I suggest you need to be more ready to engage in some sort of meaningful dialogue with us, and learn about what atheism actually is. Rather than listening to some puffed-up god-botherer who wears a dress and silly hats...

[Image: 6547068_orig.jpg?0]

It's also a good idea to avoid being so confrontational when joining a new forum—any forum. Probably a better idea to get to know us, and get some sort of feeling for what we talk about etc. I've never joined any religious forum and posted links to atheist videos as my grand entrance. Think about it. Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
28-02-2017, 03:25 AM
"Proud Catholic" eh. Sure seems to have skedaddled pretty damn quick Consider How the mighty are fallen eh? No real passion among the defenders of the faith these days. If you're still reading this Mr Proud Catholic, the reason your religion is losing adherents is because you apologists are so unbelievably shitty that even your own guys eventually call bullshit. Why don't you actually try to convince us of your "truth"? Just posting links and running away is a piss poor advertisement for your faith and you're probably doing more to promote atheism than anything else.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
28-02-2017, 03:31 AM
(28-02-2017 03:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  "Proud Catholic" eh. Sure seems to have skedaddled pretty damn quick Consider How the mighty are fallen eh? No real passion among the defenders of the faith these days. If you're still reading this Mr Proud Catholic, the reason your religion is losing adherents is because you apologists are so unbelievably shitty that even your own guys eventually call bullshit. Why don't you actually try to convince us of your "truth"? Just posting links and running away is a piss poor advertisement for your faith and you're probably doing more to promote atheism than anything else.

Too proud to interact with us peasants I guess.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
28-02-2017, 04:09 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2017 04:15 AM by Robvalue.)
The reason I have nothing to do with religion is not to do with whether or not God exists, or whether the religions have any further truth to them. I don't care.

I reject them because I find them irrelevant, and in many cases, immoral. I don't need dogma dictated to me. I don't need to be told how to live my life. I'm not interested in bribes or threats which try to alter my behaviour, or to get me to toady around a boss figure (real or not).

I'm also perfectly happy stating that I don't know everything. I have no desire for a load of made-up simplistic answers to fill the gaps.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Robvalue's post
28-02-2017, 04:57 AM
Yeah, WTF is "new atheism"?

There are new things that certain atheists do. And there are new straw man versions of atheism used by dishonest apologetics.

But new atheism is old atheism is atheism.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
28-02-2017, 05:11 AM
(28-02-2017 04:57 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Yeah, WTF is "new atheism"?

[Image: old-atheists-vs-new-atheists-600x334.jpeg]

Wink

[+] 14 users Like DLJ's post
28-02-2017, 05:33 AM
Wow, new atheists are cunts huh!

[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
28-02-2017, 05:42 AM
(28-02-2017 05:33 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Wow, new atheists are cunts huh!

No!

Tongue

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-02-2017, 05:58 AM
(27-02-2017 10:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 09:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  I have a feeling this dude's a drive-by anyway.

Jesus take the wheel...

[Image: dammit-jesus-wrong-wheel.jpg]

living word
[+] 11 users Like houseofcantor's post