Answering Father Barron

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2017, 10:28 AM
RE: Answering Father Barron
(28-02-2017 10:21 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 10:18 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Can't be, Gwyneth is in my freezer I'm planning on serving her up with a plate of fava beans and a nice glass of ChiantiTongue

Wow.

Somebody ordered mail-ordered psychopath, stat. Angry

I'm planning on changing my username to either psychobitch or bennybonkers Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like adey67's post
28-02-2017, 10:45 AM
(27-02-2017 06:11 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  You all might enjoy, or at least be intrigued by Bishop Barron

He is not a typical fire and brimstone kind of guy. He is a priest but I believe critiques atheism in a sincere and intellectual matter.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwV9l-U8ds

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe5kVw9JsYI

What's your viewpoint(s). Links should support your points, not be the whole topic, most especially when we know nothing about you.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
28-02-2017, 11:36 AM
(27-02-2017 09:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 08:59 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Thanks Moms! I do appreciate that Smile Though to be 100% in the clear and not be one of Willhopp's "dishonest" Catholics, I've got to admit to not being a fan of Bishop Barron's videos. They always seem rather lazy and appealing to the lowest common denominator to me. Not sure if it's one of the three links posted thus far, but there's one where his whole "checkmate atheists" moment is "explain what happened before the Big Bang".

That's the problem. In his environment, he's celebrated .... but in fact he's laughable in his obvious bs. He got away so long with it in his ivory tower, he thinks it can be translated to a wider audience. He's really not all that bright. Facepalm

Not all of his stuff is necessarily bad, but agreed that he's poor at translating what works in his own circle, to a wider one. Reltzik was willing to watch the videos, and gave a more charitable estimation of the good Bishop than I would have. Like a lot of apologists, I think he's primarily concerned with gently rocking the faithful into calm, when they have minor doubts, but utterly worthless if one were in a full blown Dark Night of the Soul.

(27-02-2017 09:36 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 08:59 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Thanks Moms! I do appreciate that Smile Though to be 100% in the clear and not be one of Willhopp's "dishonest" Catholics, I've got to admit to not being a fan of Bishop Barron's videos. They always seem rather lazy and appealing to the lowest common denominator to me. Not sure if it's one of the three links posted thus far, but there's one where his whole "checkmate atheists" moment is "explain what happened before the Big Bang".

I thought we already covered this in another thread. Lots of foreplay Wink

Foreplay is the best sort of theological discussion. Tongue

(28-02-2017 08:46 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Seriously... do Christians not get how bad this makes them look?
Yes some of us do. Sad

Quote:If I didn't know reasonable, thoughtful Christians in my life, and these assholes were my only exposure, I would be convinced that religion was 100% equivalent to a lobotomy.

Laughed. So. Hard. And I should not have.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
28-02-2017, 11:43 AM
(28-02-2017 11:36 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 09:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's the problem. In his environment, he's celebrated .... but in fact he's laughable in his obvious bs. He got away so long with it in his ivory tower, he thinks it can be translated to a wider audience. He's really not all that bright. Facepalm

Not all of his stuff is necessarily bad, but agreed that he's poor at translating what works in his own circle, to a wider one.

I find him to be a decent sort, far above the usual apologetic fare.

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Prof, its you , Aliza and Kingschosen who stop me from posting blanket statements like "all theists are assholes" you guys give me genuine pause in my discourse. If only all theists were as reasonable as you guys.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
28-02-2017, 11:49 AM
(28-02-2017 11:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Prof, its you , Aliza and Kingschosen who stop me from posting blanket statements like "all theists are assholes" you guys give me genuine pause in my discourse. If only all theists were as reasonable as you guys.

Don't forget popsthebuilder.

#sigh
28-02-2017, 11:51 AM
(28-02-2017 11:49 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 11:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Prof, its you , Aliza and Kingschosen who stop me from posting blanket statements like "all theists are assholes" you guys give me genuine pause in my discourse. If only all theists were as reasonable as you guys.

Shocking Your kidding I hope Wink
28-02-2017, 11:51 AM
(28-02-2017 11:49 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Fucking comedian. I like pops, but reasonable? Not so much. Tongue

living word
28-02-2017, 11:58 AM
(28-02-2017 11:51 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 11:49 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Don't forget popsthebuilder.

Fucking comedian. I like pops, but reasonable? Not so much. Tongue

Egor then.

#sigh
28-02-2017, 12:11 PM
(28-02-2017 11:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 11:51 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fucking comedian. I like pops, but reasonable? Not so much. Tongue

Egor then.

Grasping at straws. How about heywood? Tongue

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post