Answering Sye

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
29-01-2016, 11:11 PM
RE: Answering Sye
(29-01-2016 11:06 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 10:23 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I can't even begin to figure out why anyone gives him notice. Even christians have to be embarrassed. I imagine he has caused way more deconversions than conversions with his nonsense.

Oh, and to answer your question:

"Knowledge grows through infinite energy" -Deepak quote generator

I don't know how big his following is but he seems to get around quite a bit. I know he teams up with Eric Hovind sometimes. Can you imagine him, Eric, Ray comfort and Kirk Cameron together?

He's not there to convert anyone, he's there to reinforce the belief of those already on his team; "Don't worry guys, ignore all of your doubts, because god".

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2016, 11:18 PM
(29-01-2016 11:11 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 11:06 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I don't know how big his following is but he seems to get around quite a bit. I know he teams up with Eric Hovind sometimes. Can you imagine him, Eric, Ray comfort and Kirk Cameron together?

He's not there to convert anyone, he's there to reinforce the belief of those already on his team; "Don't worry guys, ignore all of your doubts, because god".

I think you're right. He does not really care what you answer because he has already made up his mind that your answers are wrong, as you say, because God. I think the way to deal with his ilk is to keep them off script. I notice when he is asked questions he quickly changes the subject and goes back to asking how do you know, how do you know, how do you know. The answer I would give each time is I know by means of reason. The one person that I saw do pretty well against him is Aronra. He seems to be a pretty sharp chappie.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
29-01-2016, 11:20 PM
(29-01-2016 11:18 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 11:11 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  He's not there to convert anyone, he's there to reinforce the belief of those already on his team; "Don't worry guys, ignore all of your doubts, because god".

I think you're right. He does not really care what you answer because he has already made up his mind that your answers are wrong, as you say, because God. I think the way to deal with his ilk is to keep them off script. I notice when he is asked questions he quickly changes the subject and goes back to asking how do you know, how do you know, how do you know. The answer I would give each time is I know by means of reason. The one person that I saw do pretty well against him is Aronra. He seems to be a pretty sharp chappie.

No one ever believes because of apologetics, it has been and remains an entirely defensive measure; you only ever need them when you're already in doubt.

29-01-2016, 11:23 PM
(29-01-2016 11:02 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 10:20 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Sye: But ..."brain in a vat bullshit"?

Yeah. Sye, we don't need to disprove an arbitrary hypothesis before we can claim knowledge. You should study logic 101 and then take a break and think about the way you conduct your cognitive activity.

But how can you claim knowledge if you can't prove we're not a vat brain? If you can't disprove that, then anything could be real or not real.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
29-01-2016, 11:27 PM
(29-01-2016 11:20 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 11:18 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I think you're right. He does not really care what you answer because he has already made up his mind that your answers are wrong, as you say, because God. I think the way to deal with his ilk is to keep them off script. I notice when he is asked questions he quickly changes the subject and goes back to asking how do you know, how do you know, how do you know. The answer I would give each time is I know by means of reason. The one person that I saw do pretty well against him is Aronra. He seems to be a pretty sharp chappie.

No one ever believes because of apologetics, it has been and remains an entirely defensive measure; you only ever need them when you're already in doubt.

And that's his whole method, is to make you doubt your own mind and reasoning so that you'll just throw up your hands and say must be God did it.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
29-01-2016, 11:29 PM
(29-01-2016 11:23 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 11:02 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Yeah. Sye, we don't need to disprove an arbitrary hypothesis before we can claim knowledge. You should study logic 101 and then take a break and think about the way you conduct your cognitive activity.

But how can you claim knowledge if you can't prove we're not a vat brain? If you can't disprove that, then anything could be real or not real.

One can never be called upon to prove a negative.

29-01-2016, 11:31 PM
(29-01-2016 11:20 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 11:18 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I think you're right. He does not really care what you answer because he has already made up his mind that your answers are wrong, as you say, because God. I think the way to deal with his ilk is to keep them off script. I notice when he is asked questions he quickly changes the subject and goes back to asking how do you know, how do you know, how do you know. The answer I would give each time is I know by means of reason. The one person that I saw do pretty well against him is Aronra. He seems to be a pretty sharp chappie.

I started doubting when I was 7 years old. How about you?

29-01-2016, 11:53 PM
(29-01-2016 11:31 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 11:20 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  No one ever believes because of apologetics, it has been and remains an entirely defensive measure; you only ever need them when you're already in doubt.

I started doubting when I was 7 years old. How about you?

I was never indoctrinated, religion was just something other people did. We had a Bible in the house, but nobody read it. My parents were both at one time nominally Christian, but they never prayed or brought it up. After two failed marriages, my father found Jesus with his third wife, and went deep down the Baptist rabbit hole; which only served to solidify my own atheism.

Full story is here.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid372401

30-01-2016, 12:04 AM
(29-01-2016 11:53 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 11:31 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I started doubting when I was 7 years old. How about you?

I was never indoctrinated, religion was just something other people did. We had a Bible in the house, but nobody read it. My parents were both at one time nominally Christian, but they never prayed or brought it up. After two failed marriages, my father found Jesus with his third wife, and went deep down the Baptist rabbit hole; which only served to solidify my own atheism.

Full story is here.

My mom has recently joined a Baptist church and I know what you mean about the rabbit hole. I can remember being scolded in Sunday school for asking too many questions. I can remember being terrified if I had any sacrilegious thoughts, which I had a lot of since at age 7 I started to manifest the symptoms of Tourette's syndrome. I would sit in church saying God damn it under my breath so no one would hear and I was sure I was going to hell. I mean positive.

No theists, don't get any ideas of that being the cause of my atheism. If anything it made me want to be more religious. No it was not until much later in life after I learned how to think. They certainly didn't teach me that in church.

30-01-2016, 12:11 AM
(30-01-2016 12:04 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 11:53 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I was never indoctrinated, religion was just something other people did. We had a Bible in the house, but nobody read it. My parents were both at one time nominally Christian, but they never prayed or brought it up. After two failed marriages, my father found Jesus with his third wife, and went deep down the Baptist rabbit hole; which only served to solidify my own atheism.

Full story is here.

My mom has recently joined a Baptist church and I know what you mean about the rabbit hole. I can remember being scolded in Sunday school for asking too many questions. I can remember being terrified if I had any sacrilegious thoughts, which I had a lot of since at age 7 I started to manifest the symptoms of Tourette's syndrome. I would sit in church saying God damn it under my breath so no one would hear and I was sure I was going to hell. I mean positive.

No theists, don't get any ideas of that being the cause of my atheism. If anything it made me want to be more religious. No it was not until much later in life after I learned how to think. They certainly didn't teach me that in church.

My dad used to listen to Led Zeppelin. Now all he listens to is shitty Christian rock. He lost his taste in music to satiate his god fetish. Dodgy