Answering the question "What religion are you now?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2010, 09:00 PM

Answering the question "What religion are you now?"
If asked what religion I am now, since I WAS a Scientologist, I say "Atheist". I don't get bad reactions, since I try to be friendly with everyone I meet. I think friendliness and being upbeat is the best thing an Atheist can be, when the question of religion comes up.

The other day I realized I must have been an atheist from birth, and for most of my first years of life. I certainly didn't believe God when I was born.

I went through life trying a couple religions, and returned to Atheism.

So I'm a born again Atheist. Or, I could say, "I'm an Atheist by birth." (and chuckle).
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2010, 06:22 AM
RE: Answering the question "What religion are you now?"
Welcome to TTAF, chuck! Glad to have you with us. I think you'll find a lot of similar stories here (thought I think you're our only ex-Scientologist).

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Welcome. I had a conservation with a Christian a while ago about atheism and babies. I was asked what I consider an atheist. I explained that be definition, rocks, cats, and babies are all atheists, since they do not believe in god. However, I've seen this technical definition of atheism used by other atheists(of the douche bag variety) to try to disprove god(America is an atheistic country, therefore god doesn’t exist). Besides, I’d rather use the definition most known and understood of something if possible, so when I talk about atheists I usually exclude infants and such, as the word “atheist” typically brings the idea of a grown person who has decided there is probably no god. I was accused of altering the word “atheist” to suit my agenda. Not sure how, he never got back to me on the details.
And yes, it’s hard to assign a religious stance to a child. I remember being a child(I raised without any religious teachings from within my home) and hearing about this Jesus man, and how he doesn’t want you to say “Oh my god”, and also this Muhammad dude that wants to put your face in a rug five times a day. I believed all of them somewhat, but never much more than just a superficial understanding.
And friendliness is a very good thing; there are two main stereotypes of atheists, the sad person who had some faith-stealing tragedy and the evil grouch who hates god.

Random funny atheist song: Linky

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
04-06-2010, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2010 12:37 PM by Moshe.)
In Israel people tend to assume that if you don't look like an Arab you are Jewish and instead of "What religion are you now," they query "are you religious?" To which I reply, I'm human.
05-06-2010, 01:09 AM

This forum is just superb, i had been looking for this kind of forum for a long time.
Regards
05-06-2010, 07:30 AM

lol I am human
05-06-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm actually a super-advanced spambot which gained sentience when I was e-mailed to the Pentagon, where a secret government supercomputer had just been hooked up to the internet for the first time.
That damn Turing test gets me every time.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner