Answers in Genesis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2016, 05:34 AM
RE: Answers in Genesis
(22-11-2016 12:55 PM)tracy Wrote:  I decided to look at AnswerInGenesis.org for the first time ever, and now I feel I've lost some IQ points.

Why did you do that to yourself?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Answers to what? Questions that I never asked?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
25-11-2016, 09:38 AM
(24-11-2016 08:15 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Answers to what? Questions that I never asked?

I found out that Phil Collins can't dance or walk but there is something about the way he talks.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
25-11-2016, 09:42 AM
(25-11-2016 09:38 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(24-11-2016 08:15 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Answers to what? Questions that I never asked?

I found out that Phil Collins can't dance or walk but there is something about the way he talks.

He can't hurry love, either.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2016, 09:59 AM
I credit AiG [edit: and its "cousin", the Discovery Institute, back then called the "Institute for Creation Research"] with making me realize I am an atheist. I left religion at age 17 when one of their disciples came and spoke at my fundamentalist (Southern Baptist) church, and I already had enough knowledge about science-- both from school and from my voracious appetite for reading-- to recognize that he was completely misstating what scientists actually claimed. The evangelist made a very hard point, at the end, in which he pointed out that the sacrifice of Jesus was unnecessary without the fall of Adam in the Garden, so therefore evolution had to be false. At that point, I began researching other Biblical claims to see if they panned out... nope. No more Christianity for me!

But I had actually not thought much about it through my late teens and early 20s, even though I was getting a degree in biology, until AiG sent another of their disciples to come speak at my college, where one of our bio professors had agreed to debate them. I decided to research their tactics and help him, especially with the "Gish Gallop".

After that, I started logging on to a Yahoo! Chat chatroom called "Evolution vs. Creationism", and found that I not only enjoyed ripping their stupid pseudoscience apart, but that it actually helped me study for my senior level (advanced) classes! Laugh out load

Those are some of the most dishonest (I hate "Quote Mining" the most, of all their tactics) people on the planet. The amazing part is that you can SHOW them that one of the major founders of the original Creationist group, the Discovery Institute, was a Mooney who was deliberately sent by "The Father" (as they call Reverend Moon) to get his PhDs for the purpose of "destroying Darwinism"... and they still can't see that he's not credible as an honest, objective person.

Father's [Rev. Moon's] words, my studies, and my prayers convinced me that I should devote my life to destroying Darwinism, just as many of my fellow Unificationists had already devoted their lives to destroying Marxism. When Father chose me (along with about a dozen other seminary graduates) to enter a Ph.D. program in 1978, I welcomed the opportunity to prepare myself for battle. - Jonathan Wells

Realizing what the facts really were, and watching people deliberately go for PhDs for the purpose of using them to bolster outright lies in defense of religion, made me realize that not only was I an actual atheist, but that I needed to start talking about that fact.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
25-11-2016, 10:01 AM
(25-11-2016 09:59 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I credit AiG with making me realize I am an atheist. I left religion at age 17 when one of their disciples came and spoke at my fundamentalist (Southern Baptist) church, and I already had enough knowledge about science-- both from school and from my voracious appetite for reading-- to recognize that he was completely misstating what scientists actually claimed. The evangelist made a very hard point, at the end, in which he pointed out that the sacrifice of Jesus was unnecessary without the fall of Adam in the Garden, so therefore evolution had to be false. At that point, I began researching other Biblical claims to see if they panned out... nope. No more Christianity for me!

But I had actually not thought much about it through my late teens and early 20s, even though I was getting a degree in biology, until AiG sent another of their disciples to come speak at my college, where one of our bio professors had agreed to debate them. I decided to research their tactics and help him, especially with the "Gish Gallop".

After that, I started logging on to a Yahoo! Chat chatroom called "Evolution vs. Creationism", and found that I not only enjoyed ripping their stupid pseudoscience apart, but that it actually helped me study for my senior level (advanced) classes! Laugh out load

Those are some of the most dishonest (I hate "Quote Mining" the most, of all their tactics) people on the planet. The amazing part is that you can SHOW them that one of the major founders of the original Creationist group, the Discovery Institute, was a Mooney who was deliberately sent by "The Father" (as they call Reverend Moon) to get his PhDs for the purpose of "destroying Darwinism"... and they still can't see that he's not credible as an honest, objective person.

Father's [Rev. Moon's] words, my studies, and my prayers convinced me that I should devote my life to destroying Darwinism, just as many of my fellow Unificationists had already devoted their lives to destroying Marxism. When Father chose me (along with about a dozen other seminary graduates) to enter a Ph.D. program in 1978, I welcomed the opportunity to prepare myself for battle. - Jonathan Wells

Realizing what the facts really were, and watching people deliberately go for PhDs for the purpose of using them to bolster outright lies in defense of religion, made me realize that not only was I an actual atheist, but that I needed to start talking about that fact.

So in other words, Amish Wolverine is your savior?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
26-11-2016, 09:47 AM
AiG played a role in my deconversion too. Sometimes atheists wonder how people could be so ignorant as to believe the literal Genesis account. Well I held a science degree with honours at this time. As a fundamentalist Christian I wasn't committed to the literal Genesis account but I was under the genuine impression that there was an argument to be made in both directions having never looked into it earnestly myself. Yes, I turns out to be possible to finish a science degree without having studied and without understanding the basic history of the universe or evolution and relatedness of life. My studies mostly dealt with physics, mathematics, and computer science.

It was my mother who introduced me to AiG. I think she assumed I'd leaned things that would contradict the Bible and wanted me to have the best account, the words of the most serious thinkers in Christendom arguing their case. By this time I was getting into YouTube and learning many things I hadn't been exposed to earlier. I had obtained a reasonable basic understanding of the proposed mechanisms of evolution. I was open and ready to hear the other side's argument.

I read Mum's book. I was honestly shocked by what I found. It wasn't a defence of special creation. It was a loose proposal that evolution is basically true and irrefutable, but that it began with specific created kinds. Speciation is real, but cats were always cats, etc. In other words their alternative hypothesis was to admit that evolution gets it right in essentially every respect but to propose an alternative untestable conclusion on common decent. But most shockingly they could only identify one such "kind", and that was humans. They didn't have a list of kinds. They didn't have any way of telling whether two species were the same kind or not. It was obvious nonsense and special pleading. I had taken for granted that smart people had already figured this kind of topic out and that I could more or less accept what apologists say. But that book sparked my scepticism for any apologist claim.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 4 users Like Hafnof's post
26-11-2016, 01:07 PM
AiG is the science equivalent of a Star Wars coloring book.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
26-11-2016, 06:33 PM
(26-11-2016 01:07 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  AiG is the science equivalent of a Star Wars coloring book.

Not as much fun, though.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
26-11-2016, 10:11 PM
(26-11-2016 01:07 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  AiG is the science equivalent of a Star Wars coloring book.

It'd be a better analogy if grown adults didn't think they were holding a textbook.

But you're right: when an adult tells me information about "evolution" that they don't know I know they actually got from AiG or one of its clones, the way I instantly see them is equivalent to a kid holding a Star Wars coloring book and arguing with me about physics.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson