Anthropogenic climate change and the denial of science.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Anthropogenic climate change and the denial of science.
I will readily admit that I am no scientist, but I do understand the fundamentals. I've seen the evidence first hand and from studies conducted by actual scientists. From this I've concluded that current climate trends are heavily influenced by our continued use of fossil fuels. People who do not see this must be in denial. Or they just don't give a shit. I think its the second one.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2015, 02:07 AM
RE: Anthropogenic climate change and the denial of science.
Climate change is a given.

It's going to. It always has.

Trying to keep it the same is the condition that's unnatural...

So exactly what are we trying to "save"???

The ONLY way we can "protect the planet" from us, is to have less of "us" to start with - and nobody seems to think that's a good idea.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-03-2015, 12:32 PM
(15-03-2015 02:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  and nobody seems to think that's a good idea.....

Me me me me me...

Just gimme a big red button Evil_monster

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-03-2015, 06:23 AM
Climate change is heavily influenced by human activity. The goal of any logical human is to lower the human effects on climate. Doing that is fairly simple. Lower the amounts of pollutants we put into the atmosphere.

BUT WAIT. To lower the amounts of pollutants we have to improve emission controls used by big business, cutting into the corporate greed bottom line. How un-American. Expecting a business to care more about the world around them and the people that populate it? It's much cheaper to put doubt into the sheep with a few well placed, well paid pseudo scientists than to make the changes that would lower these emissions.

And there is the reason Jim Inhofe is the head of the Energy and Environmental Commission in congress. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/16...81450.html

OH LAY YOUR HANDS ON ME
Hobo
[+] 3 users Like Aquariuz's post
17-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Give me an enemy, no media, and some more environmentally friendly rules of engagement and I will do my part to reduce population based climate change.

'Murican Canadian
17-03-2015, 08:07 AM
It is a denial of the role and impact humans can play on the Earth. We want to believe we can make a difference, until we learn that the difference we are making isn't a positive one. Then we want to deny that we could possibly have anything to do with it.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
17-03-2015, 09:16 AM
(15-03-2015 02:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  So exactly what are we trying to "save"???
Just ourselves. Only ourselves. The world will move on without us, although it might be another few hundred million years before our successors take over. This sun of ours has a limited lifespan and it would be nice to think some species would make it out into interstellar space before it all goes kablooey.

(15-03-2015 02:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The ONLY way we can "protect the planet" from us, is to have less of "us" to start with - and nobody seems to think that's a good idea.....

We can have less of us, and do so humanely as well. It takes two things. (1) Empower women to have control over their own reproduction. (2) Make sure their children don't die for simple preventable reasons. When you add those two things together you get women having 1-3 children, just the right amount to stabalise and eventually reduce our population. Ensuring these two points is as important as putting a price on carbon.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 4 users Like Hafnof's post
30-03-2015, 04:49 PM
I think the single most important part of this debate is getting a majority of laypeople to understand that "Yes, we as a species, are having a very significant impact on the climate !" Especially in the US with our "backyard" mentality.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
05-04-2015, 08:23 PM
(15-03-2015 02:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Climate change is a given.

It's going to. It always has.

Trying to keep it the same is the condition that's unnatural...

So exactly what are we trying to "save"???

The ONLY way we can "protect the planet" from us, is to have less of "us" to start with - and nobody seems to think that's a good idea.....

Try again....

The title of the thread is anthropogenic CC.
And it's a proven science by the way.

There is little we can do about natural or catastrophic CC. There is lots we can do do about anthropogenic CC.

No one is trying to keep the climate the same.
Do you even understand climate science.
Appears not.

No need creating straw man arguments.
They are annoying and not worthy of our time.
05-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Though I do believe anthropogenic climate change is likely a reality, strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a proven science. The scientific process can only be used to disprove a flawed hypothesis. If enough attempts to do so prove unsuccessful then you move forward based on the assumption that it is likely true, but with the understanding that there is rarely a such thing as absolutes. The ability to remain objective in the face of new data as it arrives is what gives science its purpose.

'Murican Canadian