Anthropogenic climate change and the denial of science.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2015, 11:49 PM
RE: Anthropogenic climate change and the denial of science.
(05-04-2015 08:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Though I do believe anthropogenic climate change is likely a reality, strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a proven science.

Overwhelming evidence in support of a. it's happening b. it's caused by man. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

According to the article IPCC says " In its fifth assessment (AR5) in 2014 the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reported that scientists were more than 95% certain that most of global warming is caused by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases and other human (anthropogenic) activities." Bolding mine.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-04-2015, 12:08 AM
(15-03-2015 02:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Climate change is a given.

It's going to. It always has.

Trying to keep it the same is the condition that's unnatural...

So exactly what are we trying to "save"???

The ONLY way we can "protect the planet" from us, is to have less of "us" to start with - and nobody seems to think that's a good idea.....

On the contrary, some of us think that's the only good idea.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
06-04-2015, 06:28 AM
(05-04-2015 11:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 08:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Though I do believe anthropogenic climate change is likely a reality, strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a proven science.

Overwhelming evidence in support of a. it's happening b. it's caused by man. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

According to the article IPCC says " In its fifth assessment (AR5) in 2014 the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reported that scientists were more than 95% certain that most of global warming is caused by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases and other human (anthropogenic) activities." Bolding mine.

And I agree that we should proceed based on said 95% certainty. I wasn't making a point against climate change, I was making a point against a commonly held flawed perception of the scientific process. Within the realm of science there are no such things as facts, and hostility towards skeptics is exactly the opposite of how science remains rational.

'Murican Canadian
06-04-2015, 06:45 AM
(06-04-2015 06:28 AM)yakherder Wrote:  And I agree that we should proceed based on said 95% certainty. I wasn't making a point against climate change, I was making a point against a commonly held flawed perception of the scientific process. Within the realm of science there are no such things as facts, and hostility towards skeptics is exactly the opposite of how science remains rational.

... Skepticism good. Refusal to change one's mind in face of evidence bad. Lot of people take the fact that scientists tend to avoid making absolute statements (even about such well-established theories as gravitation) to mean that their preferred interpretation is *as good as* anything the science magicians come up with.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
11-04-2015, 02:08 AM
(06-04-2015 06:45 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 06:28 AM)yakherder Wrote:  And I agree that we should proceed based on said 95% certainty. I wasn't making a point against climate change, I was making a point against a commonly held flawed perception of the scientific process. Within the realm of science there are no such things as facts, and hostility towards skeptics is exactly the opposite of how science remains rational.

... Skepticism good. Refusal to change one's mind in face of evidence bad. Lot of people take the fact that scientists tend to avoid making absolute statements (even about such well-established theories as gravitation) to mean that their preferred interpretation is *as good as* anything the science magicians come up with.

There are plenty of facts "within the realm of science". A theory is just an explanation of the reasons behind the fact. The fact that the climate changes, has never been in question. . The theory humanity has played a large part . Is well established.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
11-04-2015, 06:36 AM
(05-04-2015 08:23 PM)Luckyluciano Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 02:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Climate change is a given.

It's going to. It always has.

Trying to keep it the same is the condition that's unnatural...

So exactly what are we trying to "save"???

The ONLY way we can "protect the planet" from us, is to have less of "us" to start with - and nobody seems to think that's a good idea.....

Try again....

The title of the thread is anthropogenic CC.
And it's a proven science by the way.

There is little we can do about natural or catastrophic CC. There is lots we can do do about anthropogenic CC.

No one is trying to keep the climate the same.
Do you even understand climate science.
Appears not.

No need creating straw man arguments.
They are annoying and not worthy of our time.

Really???

OK.....

Are we trying to keep the planet cooler, or warmer????

Pick one....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-04-2015, 07:39 AM
(11-04-2015 06:36 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Really???

OK.....

Are we trying to keep the planet cooler, or warmer????

Pick one....

Neither - false dichotomy.

We are trying to prevent a runaway greenhouse effect caused by our actions, like pumping 761 tons/second (2,736,000 tons/hour) of CO₂ into the atmosphere.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2015, 07:42 AM
Neither???

So we're trying to keep the climate the same as it is now???

That's the only unnatural outcome..... Heating, or cooling are the natural norm.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-04-2015, 07:46 AM
(11-04-2015 07:42 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Neither???

That's the only unnatural outcome..... Heating, or cooling are the natural norm.....

Again, no. We need to let the the generally self-regulating climate do its job.

We are altering a semi-stable chaotic system that we don't entirely understand.

I'd call that criminally stupid.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-04-2015, 07:53 AM
(11-04-2015 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 07:42 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Neither???

Again, no. We need to let the the generally self-regulating climate do its job.

We are altering a semi-stable chaotic system that we don't entirely understand.

I'd call that criminally stupid.

See -- you just spelled out my skepticism ---

"A semi-stable chaotic system that we don't entirely understand" -----

BUT

They've got a "fix" and it's ONLY going to cost a few trillion dollars......

Remember -- atheists tend to skepticism...