Anthropogenic climate change and the denial of science.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2015, 08:46 AM
RE: Anthropogenic climate change and the denial of science.
(17-04-2015 08:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 02:32 PM)The Drake Wrote:  I think we'd be better off avoiding it or at least reducing our impact. If we try to "fix" it, we're sure to fuck it up.

I've not heard of anyone trying to fix it, have you? Consider

He who tries to fix it, fux it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-04-2015, 09:45 AM
(17-03-2015 09:16 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 02:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The ONLY way we can "protect the planet" from us, is to have less of "us" to start with - and nobody seems to think that's a good idea.....

We can have less of us, and do so humanely as well. It takes two things. (1) Empower women to have control over their own reproduction. (2) Make sure their children don't die for simple preventable reasons. When you add those two things together you get women having 1-3 children, just the right amount to stabalise and eventually reduce our population. Ensuring these two points is as important as putting a price on carbon.

Don't forget: reduce poverty globally.
23-04-2015, 11:56 AM
(17-04-2015 08:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 08:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  I've not heard of anyone trying to fix it, have you? Consider

He who tries to fix it, fux it.

Yes...this. I have heard about several "ideas" from carbon sequestration to cloud seeding etc. We've been actively changing the climate since the dawn of the industrial revolution. But I don't think forcing the reverse is a good one. It's too early in our knowledge. We can't predict the outcome.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
23-04-2015, 12:51 PM
(23-04-2015 11:56 AM)The Drake Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 08:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  He who tries to fix it, fux it.

Yes...this. I have heard about several "ideas" from carbon sequestration to cloud seeding etc. We've been actively changing the climate since the dawn of the industrial revolution. But I don't think forcing the reverse is a good one. It's too early in our knowledge. We can't predict the outcome.

I dunno. Sequestration... could be good. Not really introducing anything new - just removing carbon we've already been putting in. But e.g. trying to change planetary albedo and other such madcap schemes... I'd regard those as absolute last resorts 'cos as you say, hard to predict what happens - what if we're too bloody clever for our own good and things end up going the other way?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-04-2015, 03:55 PM
(15-03-2015 02:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The ONLY way we can "protect the planet" from us, is to have less of "us" to start with - and nobody seems to think that's a good idea.....
China does. They have their "one child" policy. I don't know how well that's working.Huh

Sapere aude
28-04-2015, 03:23 PM
(23-04-2015 12:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 11:56 AM)The Drake Wrote:  Yes...this. I have heard about several "ideas" from carbon sequestration to cloud seeding etc. We've been actively changing the climate since the dawn of the industrial revolution. But I don't think forcing the reverse is a good one. It's too early in our knowledge. We can't predict the outcome.

I dunno. Sequestration... could be good. Not really introducing anything new - just removing carbon we've already been putting in. But e.g. trying to change planetary albedo and other such madcap schemes... I'd regard those as absolute last resorts 'cos as you say, hard to predict what happens - what if we're too bloody clever for our own good and things end up going the other way?

Have you read "Fallen Angels" by Larry Niven et al. It touches on the hubris of geo-engineering. Not saying it isn't a good idea, but at our current level of understanding, probably not the best choice.

28-04-2015, 03:29 PM
(28-04-2015 03:23 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Have you read "Fallen Angels" by Larry Niven et al. It touches on the hubris of geo-engineering. Not saying it isn't a good idea, but at our current level of understanding, probably not the best choice.

I might have read it. LN was a guy I used to read a lot of but I can't really recall titles. It's all about the quid quo pro. We're basically gonna make some kinda half-assed attempts to cut back carbon emissions and do stuff sensibly, realise we're totally fucked, and try ever more desperate flailing around until either we get lucky and something works (unlikely) or we are indeed, totally fucked.

28-04-2015, 03:55 PM
(28-04-2015 03:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 03:23 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Have you read "Fallen Angels" by Larry Niven et al. It touches on the hubris of geo-engineering. Not saying it isn't a good idea, but at our current level of understanding, probably not the best choice.

I might have read it. LN was a guy I used to read a lot of but I can't really recall titles. It's all about the quid quo pro. We're basically gonna make some kinda half-assed attempts to cut back carbon emissions and do stuff sensibly, realise we're totally fucked, and try ever more desperate flailing around until either we get lucky and something works (unlikely) or we are indeed, totally fucked.

Duuuuude.....someone overdosed on the "BUMMER" pills.

28-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Anthropogenic climate change and the denial of science.
Carbon sequestration is a natural part of the global carbon cycle. There could be ways of emulating carbon sequestration through enhanced primary productivity in the oceans facilitating the enhanced burial of organic matter that could be stored long-term in deep sea sediments.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
28-04-2015, 04:41 PM
(28-04-2015 04:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Carbon sequestration is a natural part of the global carbon cycle. There could be ways of emulating carbon sequestration through enhanced primary productivity in the oceans facilitating the enhanced burial of organic matter that could be stored long-term in deep sea sediments.

Yes, it is a natural cycle. And then we have the last 100 years of "NOT SO NATURAL". I think human forced climate "correction" is (almost) as bad as the damage we've already done. We don't know enough. And to pretend we do, is inviting disaster. Mitigation is the way forward. We fucked up and now we're paying. But I think at this point, the only thing that we can hope, is that it's cheaper.