Anthropogenic climate change and the denial of science.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2015, 04:44 PM
(28-04-2015 04:41 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 04:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Carbon sequestration is a natural part of the global carbon cycle. There could be ways of emulating carbon sequestration through enhanced primary productivity in the oceans facilitating the enhanced burial of organic matter that could be stored long-term in deep sea sediments.

Yes, it is a natural cycle. And then we have the last 100 years of "NOT SO NATURAL". I think human forced climate "correction" is (almost) as bad as the damage we've already done. We don't know enough. And to pretend we do, is inviting disaster. Mitigation is the way forward. We fucked up and now we're paying. But I think at this point, the only thing that we can hope, is that it's cheaper.

It's not about climate correction, it's about mitigating the human influence through sequestering the excess CO2 we are emitting.

And we'll only know the impacts as we do more smaller scale experiments to look at the effects of seeding the oceans to induce the production necessary to drawdown the CO2.

And we have numerous instances in the rock record where the Earth has done this before. So we have plenty of case studies in the geologic record to look at the impacts.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2015, 04:46 PM
It's less about geo-engineering solutions and more about geo-engineering ways to help alter some of the adverse effects we've already had.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
02-05-2015, 02:28 AM
RE: Anthropogenic climate change and the denial of science.
(28-04-2015 04:46 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It's less about geo-engineering solutions and more about geo-engineering ways to help alter some of the adverse effects we've already had.

We should build a new planet. I mean, we already have a planet's worth of materials to do it. The only thing that's dissuading those cheap investors from doing it are the damn property values in this neck of the 'verse.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
03-05-2015, 06:11 PM
(28-04-2015 04:44 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 04:41 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Yes, it is a natural cycle. And then we have the last 100 years of "NOT SO NATURAL". I think human forced climate "correction" is (almost) as bad as the damage we've already done. We don't know enough. And to pretend we do, is inviting disaster. Mitigation is the way forward. We fucked up and now we're paying. But I think at this point, the only thing that we can hope, is that it's cheaper.

It's not about climate correction, it's about mitigating the human influence through sequestering the excess CO2 we are emitting.

And we'll only know the impacts as we do more smaller scale experiments to look at the effects of seeding the oceans to induce the production necessary to drawdown the CO2.

And we have numerous instances in the rock record where the Earth has done this before. So we have plenty of case studies in the geologic record to look at the impacts.

Sooooo...it's about climate correction ? We've been messing it up since the dawn of the industrial age, and ignoring the effects. I personally don't think it's a good idea to force it back. Yes the science is sound...but it is untested (on a global scale). And honestly if shit goes wrong I'd rather not be the one to say "oops".

The second mouse gets the cheese.
03-05-2015, 11:33 PM
(03-05-2015 06:11 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Sooooo...it's about climate correction ? We've been messing it up since the dawn of the industrial age, and ignoring the effects. I personally don't think it's a good idea to force it back. Yes the science is sound...but it is untested (on a global scale). And honestly if shit goes wrong I'd rather not be the one to say "oops".

Sooner or later we may not have an option but to try. Doing nothing is also not something I'd like to contemplate.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-05-2015, 12:26 PM
(03-05-2015 06:11 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 04:44 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It's not about climate correction, it's about mitigating the human influence through sequestering the excess CO2 we are emitting.

Sooooo...it's about climate correction ? We've been messing it up since the dawn of the industrial age, and ignoring the effects. I personally don't think it's a good idea to force it back. Yes the science is sound...but it is untested (on a global scale). And honestly if shit goes wrong I'd rather not be the one to say "oops".

You keep repeating that even though you have been shown it's not true.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2015, 02:00 PM
(15-03-2015 02:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The ONLY way we can "protect the planet" from us, is to have less of "us" to start with - and nobody seems to think that's a good idea.....

I do I do! I'm for free birth control everywhere; condoms or the pill or IUDs, not forced sterilization or anything like that.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
04-05-2015, 11:09 PM
(04-05-2015 02:00 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 02:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The ONLY way we can "protect the planet" from us, is to have less of "us" to start with - and nobody seems to think that's a good idea.....

I do I do! I'm for free birth control everywhere; condoms or the pill or IUDs, not forced sterilization or anything like that.

It would be a good start. I'm amazed how expensive condoms are Undecided

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-05-2015, 04:11 PM
(04-05-2015 12:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 06:11 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Sooooo...it's about climate correction ? We've been messing it up since the dawn of the industrial age, and ignoring the effects. I personally don't think it's a good idea to force it back. Yes the science is sound...but it is untested (on a global scale). And honestly if shit goes wrong I'd rather not be the one to say "oops".

You keep repeating that even though you have been shown it's not true.

To whom are you responding ? I've watched bridges that were built with human ingenuity being ripped apart by the chaotic forces of nature. I have no doubt we have irreversibly (perhaps irreparably) changed our climate. As far as testing whether we could force it in the other direction ( I admit, the science is sound )...We have a sample size of exactly ONE.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
26-05-2015, 04:53 PM
(03-05-2015 06:11 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 04:44 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It's not about climate correction, it's about mitigating the human influence through sequestering the excess CO2 we are emitting.

Not climate correction. It's the mitigation of the human effect on climates through the removal of what we emitted into the atmosphere (or as much as we can).

There is no "back" to force it into. Climates vary with or without human influence. These are "solutions" in the sense that they remove the anthropogenic influence or try to minimize its effect.

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post