Anti-Aging

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Anti-Aging
Am I too young to start using anti-aging treatments? And do they even work?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Re: RE: Anti-Aging
(30-01-2014 07:28 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Am I too young to start using anti-aging treatments? And do they even work?

What is the scientific evidence (not anecdotes) that it would work?

Using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2014, 01:43 AM
RE: Anti-Aging
First of all, let us understand what aging is before we make wild assumptions:

All cells in our body have a finite number of cell divisions they can perform. At some stage, cells enter a stage called cellular senescence. At this stage, the cell becomes unable to duplicate anymore. When senescent cells accummulate in an organism, diminishing tissue can not be replenished anymore, which leads to aging symptoms:

- frailty (muscle cells)

- wrinkels (fat tissue cells)

- loss of fertility (germ line cells)

- etc.

There are a few main reasons why cells age:

1) cells have linear DNA which gets shorter after every replication. In order to prevent genetic instability, the cell stops deviding when the chromosomes reach a certain length.

2) metabolism produces reactive oxygen species, which react with proteins and nucleic acids within the cell. This can lead to DNA damage and protein aggregation, inducing cellular senescence as a result of extra cellular regulation (the organism senses that a cell is accummulating DNA damage and "tells" the cell to enter cellular senescence or apoptosis (cell death).

3) accummulating DNA damage over time through metabolism, oxidative stress and UV irradiation

4) stress signaling leads can trigger extrinsic pathways of apoptosis, leading to either cell death or cellular senescence

So, what can we reasonaby do to prevent aging?

Aging can not be prevented. It is part of our nature and we can not avoid it. But the most reasonable thing to do would be to try and avoid things that would lead to premature cellular senescence:

1) Reduce your calorie intake to a reasonable level

2) do not smoke or drink alcohol.

3) avoid stress

4) avoid harming your body in any way. Harming your body means to kill cells, which need to be replenished by cell division. But there is only a finite amount of times that cells can divide. This means avoid using make up or anything of the sorts that might damage your skin.

and so on...

And there is a reason why we evolved to have aging cells, that can only devide a finite amount of times. It is to keep cancer in check until the organism is capable of reproduction. But that is an entirely different subject.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 2 users Like Youkay's post
06-02-2014, 01:59 AM
What kind of treatments were you considering?

If you're talking about lasers, botox, etc., then it's pretty much dependent on how much spare money you have to throw at it. If you want to get spa treatments or acupuncture or weird stuff like that, I say: don't let those jerks steal your money! It doesn't do shiiiiiiiit! Big Grin

If you're under 30 like me, I would just say to wear a sunscreen everyday and eat a good (ish) diet.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
06-02-2014, 02:03 AM
(06-02-2014 01:59 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  What kind of treatments were you considering?

If you're talking about lasers, botox, etc., then it's pretty much dependent on how much spare money you have to throw at it. If you want to get spa treatments or acupuncture or weird stuff like that, I say: don't let those jerks steal your money! It doesn't do shiiiiiiiit! Big Grin

If you're under 30 like me, I would just say to wear a sunscreen everyday and eat a good (ish) diet.
I was just considering anti-wrinkle creams
06-02-2014, 02:09 AM
OH. Wow, I really have to overshoot everything tonight, don't I? ^_^

Pick something with vitamin A and/or C. If you can't find one that's cheap enough, get something with lactic or glycolic acid.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
06-02-2014, 02:10 AM
If you had read my comment, you would know that anti-wrinkle creams are bullshit... Why do I even bother to explain...

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 2 users Like Youkay's post
06-02-2014, 02:26 AM
(06-02-2014 02:10 AM)Youkay Wrote:  If you had read my comment, you would know that anti-wrinkle creams are bullshit... Why do I even bother to explain...

I read it u just didn't mention cosmetics except for no make up
06-02-2014, 02:34 AM
(06-02-2014 02:10 AM)Youkay Wrote:  If you had read my comment, you would know that anti-wrinkle creams are bullshit... Why do I even bother to explain...

Yes, a random person with internet access and their own assertion that they are a "Chemist and Molecular Biologist" is reason enough for us to blindly accept everything they say regarding dermatology.

Legit as fuck. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
06-02-2014, 02:48 AM
*face palm*

I gave you background knowledge, so you can derive your own conclusions. True, everything I said you can find online. So why don't you do so? Go online and do the research yourself. But it might take quite a while. I just wanted to dumb things down so you guys can understand the basics easily.

If you want to dismiss that knowledge about "what is aging?", and "why do organisms age?", fine... go ahead and remain ignorant...

I would have helped with some more specific questions and explained the theory behind it, but... fuck it

[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post